T2A Accuracy: Progress and Discussion

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: T2A Accuracy: Progress and Discussion

Post by GuardianKnight »

Derrick won't add anything that is era inaccurate. His goal is era accuracy and it doesn't matter if certain changes run people off. He's not trying to be popular.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Wow great thread, although I only read page 1 lol.

Here is my input:

*The NPC's really really need an overhaul, they are "dumb" and do not act nearly as smart as they did during T2A.
You should be able to ask them question's, insult them, compliment them, ask direction's, talk about their profession, ask advice.... etc.

*High end magic items need to drop a lot less, I mean, I've got about 20 really nice vanq hally's in my stock and they were not all that hard to get. I understand the drop rates may be accurate, but the population rates are not; these two things need to coincide.

*More major ongoing storyline quests (like Minaxe). Novelty quests like the LB Dunk Tank would be cool too see aswell. Quests are key.

*Cash Sink for use once type items with decay timers. (decay timers so they must be consumed and not sold to other players)

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

Some posts were saying how difficult it is for new players, especially in dungeons. Let me just chime in and agree. Another thing is how difficult it is to get any housing bigger than a small house at the moment, what with players hogging real estate. 15 castles? Really?

I propose Derrick make some place safe for players, where we can kill computer controlled monsters without worry. Also, more area for housing. Maybe this new area can look exactly like the old area, but with flowers and shit. That way, it's not terribly difficult to navigate.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

wgensel wrote:I propose Derrick make some place safe for players, where we can kill computer controlled monsters without worry. Also, more area for housing. Maybe this new area can look exactly like the old area, but with flowers and shit. That way, it's not terribly difficult to navigate.
U just described Trammel lands.... :arrow:

Tip: Right now there are many large house spots to be found with the exception of Keep/Castle spots. This is not going to last forever.

wgensel
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by wgensel »

It was a joke lol

Yohanu

Post by Yohanu »

Yohanu wrote:
Orsi wrote:I'll reiterate my stance again. In order to move forward with this shard, I believe the emphasis of 'accuracy' and progress should be turned towards not mechanical aspects but towards what the designers of that period were trying to achieve. Any change that may be brought forth should have supporting evidence in the means of related era changes, designer comments, test center proposals, etc, in order to show how it could be seen as being in the 'accuracy' of T2A.
I tend to very much agree with this statement, and i will urge people to read this:

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/06/03/uo ... ce-system/
http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/06/04/uo ... em-part-2/
http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/06/05/uo ... em-part-3/

There's plenty of more interesting things Raph Koster has on there. His and the other developer's vision for Ultima Online was incredible, i'm sure plenty of inspiration could be grabbed from his blog.
Quoting myself for those who were too lazy to bother going through all pages, hence missing my awesome post of greatness.
Upcoming Festivals:
Muskelrock 2011

Previous Festivals:
Muskelrock 2010
Muskelrock 2009
Sweden Rock Festival 2009
Wacken Open Air 2009

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Yohanu wrote:Quoting myself for those who were too lazy to bother going through all pages, hence missing my awesome post of greatness.
Agreed and bumping again just because Raph Kosters site is just such a great read.

I think it's important to note that what the UO Designers intended UO to be was never what it was, the intentions were and still are are without peer, however in addition to the above, there is much written about why for both social and logistical reasons, UO was not what anyone expected. I don't believe we can socially engineer UO from the sidelines. The world belongs to the players. I believe it's the job of staff to get the mechanics right, and generally stay out of the way, as was pretty much the case in era.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Derrick wrote:
Yohanu wrote:Quoting myself for those who were too lazy to bother going through all pages, hence missing my awesome post of greatness.
Agreed and bumping again just because Raph Kosters site is just such a great read.

I think it's important to note that what the UO Designers intended UO to be was never what it was, the intentions were and still are are without peer, however in addition to the above, there is much written about why for both social and logistical reasons, UO was not what anyone expected. I don't believe we can socially engineer UO from the sidelines. The world belongs to the players. I believe it's the job of staff to get the mechanics right, and generally stay out of the way, as was pretty much the case in era.

Best freeshard ever.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

Orsi

Post by Orsi »

Don't call it social engineering, call it the gods favouring the pious ones. Start encouraging players who benefit the shard as whole. Not all rewards have to be material...

Panthor the Hated
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Panthor the Hated »

wtf yes they do

Sanctum

Post by Sanctum »

I hope it's not too late to post on this topic, haha. Anyhow...it may be a small and insignificant thing, but I was always annoyed with how instruments never had varying songs when it came to different skills. Like, for Musicianship, the instrument would play the same success sound as it does now. However, for Provocation it would play a battle-themed song, for Peacemaking it would play a peaceful tune. However, the failure sounds would all be the same. As an added bonus, there's sound files that support this already in the client. Such as: lute_peace, lute_battle, and lute_drama. I can guess the first two, so that leaves drama as the sound for Enticement, I suppose.

It was just something I noticed, and it would be a fun change that doesn't sacrifice gameplay mechanic whatsoever.

xcaution210xx

Post by xcaution210xx »

So I was reading through a bunch of these kinds of posts and I've played since 99 and recently came to this shard over a week ago.... It was nice to see something finally before all the BS but I'm curious cuz after reading this and seeing such great ideas how come the new content was NEVER created to benefit the players even though it seemed as though Derrik even took an interest in the topic??

Granted the progress of UO messed up the game and wasn't much progress at all but its OBVIOUS there is and was certain new things that made the game better to play without taking away from the mechanics....... I laughed at a post reading about kin paint and of course "Its not t2a accurate" was the smug little answer people wanted to give but really?? GOT IT you want the old school game but uhhh what happens when the oldschool games becomes oldschool to the players who been playing since apparently 2008 when this shard came out?? I mean EVERY game has expansions because players always look for new things to keep themselves entertained and even stuff like the BODS that I believe came out in 2001 was something for a player to keep them occupied.... Playing now I've already realized how some skills are just pointless to have around and the gameplay and style isn't the same from players...... I've met so many players in this shard who never experienced any other versions of UO so can you imagine even something as small as those colored plants we could grow, or any of those little features that take away NOT EVEN 1% OF THE MECHANICS OF GAME PLAY what it could do?? There is a way we use to run my unit back in the Army...... We kept things how its always been because it worked but always was willing to try out things that we've seen worked in other places...... Evolution has its perks
Chars:
Jenick, Ludwig, Mariposa, Rembrandt

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

xcaution210xx wrote:So I was reading through a bunch of these kinds of posts and I've played since 99 and recently came to this shard over a week ago.... It was nice to see something finally before all the BS but I'm curious cuz after reading this and seeing such great ideas how come the new content was NEVER created to benefit the players even though it seemed as though Derrik even took an interest in the topic??

Granted the progress of UO messed up the game and wasn't much progress at all but its OBVIOUS there is and was certain new things that made the game better to play without taking away from the mechanics....... I laughed at a post reading about kin paint and of course "Its not t2a accurate" was the smug little answer people wanted to give but really?? GOT IT you want the old school game but uhhh what happens when the oldschool games becomes oldschool to the players who been playing since apparently 2008 when this shard came out?? I mean EVERY game has expansions because players always look for new things to keep themselves entertained and even stuff like the BODS that I believe came out in 2001 was something for a player to keep them occupied.... Playing now I've already realized how some skills are just pointless to have around and the gameplay and style isn't the same from players...... I've met so many players in this shard who never experienced any other versions of UO so can you imagine even something as small as those colored plants we could grow, or any of those little features that take away NOT EVEN 1% OF THE MECHANICS OF GAME PLAY what it could do?? There is a way we use to run my unit back in the Army...... We kept things how its always been because it worked but always was willing to try out things that we've seen worked in other places...... Evolution has its perks

That's why you PVP...its always different...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

FishinPro wrote: That's why you PVP...its always different...
Toggle halberd.....hold harm.....hold heal........

lol
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This very old thread was bumped, and within four posts someone decided to throw a trash talk comment. Do not continue to do this. Posts removed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org