Secure Containers:

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.

Should secures be removed from housing

Yes, houses should not have secure containers
38%
No, I like having a safe place to store things
62%

Total votes: 26

Rapunzel

Secure Containers:

Post by Rapunzel »

So what are your thoughts on them? Do you despise them? Do you like them? Personally, I am not a big fan of them, but curious as to see what everyone else thinks...
-Rapunzel-

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

Can I ask why you're not a fan of them?

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

I love looting houses.

ifotwo

Post by ifotwo »

I'm pretty sure we all do. Which is why houses have a very limited number of containers. And an item and weight limit.

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Yea, makes way for house looting. Always adds a little adventure to the game...
-Rapunzel-

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

I'm not sure what happened with this poll but I can certainly tell that the votes aren't valid. Two players have said right in this thread that they would like to not have secures yet the poll shows 4 votes in favor of secures and 0 against.

Just a note on secures. They hold 125 items and have the standard container weight limit. I think you'll find that people won't be fitting all their most treasured possessions into them.

I am interested to see the outcome of this poll, if you would like to remake it I'll delete the original thread so that we can have accurate results.

Keathus

Post by Keathus »

ifotwo wrote:I'm pretty sure we all do. Which is why houses have a very limited number of containers. And an item and weight limit.

I would have to agree with Ifotwo on this one. Took the words out of my mouth so to speak.

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I'm not sure what is happening with it but remake it if you please...
-Rapunzel-

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The poll has been reset due to some confusion about the wording of the question.

King Of Ascalon

Post by King Of Ascalon »

i vote we want secure containers, i mean why should we have to unlock take items lock down item etc.... to much time and hassle.
i pwnzors all of juu nubz

Deano

Post by Deano »

I see secure containers as one of those interface improvements the game. House looting is grief really. Everyone will lock down everything because NO-ONE wants their stuff taken.

Some may call it realism but I call it grief. There is a fine line between a real and two-sided world, and plain annoyance. Realism would allow us to rob someone at the bank and to some extent we can, but we can't directly steal from their bank box.

Nor should we be able to steal from their houses. in an ideal situation, boxes etc would normally lock immediately after use, some people probably have it macroed that it happens so fast, it'd be locked before someone can physically steal. The fact the players are trying to beat the time it takes for the house owner to say "I wish to lock this down" just shows how far house looting crosses the line. Stealing from a house where someone forgot to lock? Bad luck for the house owner. stealing from the same house owner becuase it takes them a while to lock their items down as they use it? The person is at a disadvantage due to OUT OF GAME FACTORS.
Deano

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I think the system is great how it is. You can make your entire house secure with the greatest of ease. And best of all, without wasting lock downs.

You can use a large forge and a trash barrel to block your back off in a small house. No lock downs wasted, so you can still have ultimate storage! Toss a secure bag down on the steps with your house key. You can enter your house fairly secure, put key back in the bag, use detect hidden, and you're good to go.

If you can't handle doing that, you really shouldn't be a house owner on this shard.
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Deano

Post by Deano »

RoadKill wrote: If you can't handle doing that, you really shouldn't be a house owner on this shard.

See this is the thing, a lot of players do this at a different speed. Now why should Bob suffer so badly because a player wants to devote nothing but grief to him?

These methods you describe, in principle, are EXACTLY what a secure container does. Now if the interface can provide this EXACT method through a simpler means, then that is worth being considered an INTERFACE IMPROVEMENT and should be added.

Should we restrict the client to 640x480 because that was the norm back during the Second Age? No, it's counter-productive considering the improvements later clients have made. So why knock back this interface improvement.

The only reason you're able to steal like this, is not because you're beating the PLAYER'S ability to secure their house, not the character's. This is why it's called a roleplaying game. Your role should never be comrpomised by external factors.
Deano

King Of Ascalon

Post by King Of Ascalon »

I totally agree with deano !
i pwnzors all of juu nubz

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

Though we all like the risk that this game brings, and how it adds to the fun of the game, we all play this because we want to have fun. Theres enough greifing and theiving in real life, it would be nice to have some security here. Otherwise its easy to loose the fun.