Equipping while casting

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
hectorc2w
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Equipping while casting

Post by hectorc2w »

i think this might be why noone equiped while casting back then..

maybe somehow we knew that equiping would reset the hit if it wasnt ready.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

hectorc2w wrote:i think this might be why noone equiped while casting back then..

Actually when I started here equipping interrupted your casting
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Faust wrote:What about scrolls?
Jay - http://groups.google.com/group/alt.games.ultima-online/browse_thread/thread/1a46685104a3d229/09d814a1e8420990?lnk=gst&q=spellbook+equip#09d814a1e8420990 - June 4 2000 wrote:My pure mage has the following skills: Eval Int, Magery, Meditation,
Resist, Swords, Tactics, Wrestling. Inscription is a good skill to have
for 2 reasons. First, it's a good source of income. Second, you do not
equip your spellbook when casting from a scroll. Very useful for pvp
mages.
If the book was the "preventive measure" to precasting after the UOR publish, don't you think people would have been precasting with scrolls...
Hold on there was a time where your spellbook equipped when you casted? This is the second time this was mentioned. First time with the shield. It is though your right hand had to be holding the spellbook to cast. Was this specifically UOR? The guy had eight skills :|

Xigam wrote:

> I think you are right OSI is trying to get rid of the PvP element...

And yet make everything else impossible? I guess it could be true if they
just want to kill UO to promote UO2. :lol:
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Faust

Post by Faust »

hectorc2w wrote:i think this might be why noone equiped while casting back then..

Equipping while casting in most cases will trigger the equip delay effectively restarting your entire swing timer. However, in the event that it doesn't and you manage to hit a casting equip that doesn't, it still will probably be negative. The prep time, as it's described in the patch note, would give you a short time to get in range of your opponent before the swing advances and starts over. By the time your spell is over your swing probably has been wasted.

There seems to be very little benefit to doing it based on my analysis.

This is not the case in the current system. When your swings still hold when out of range it's the complete opposite compared to the combat timer that Kaivan and me developed.

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Hold on there was a time where your spellbook equipped when you casted? This is the second time this was mentioned. First time with the shield. It is though your right hand had to be holding the spellbook to cast. Was this specifically UOR?
Yes, the spellbook being forced into your hands in order to cast spells was UOR specific. In fact, the implementation of this feature went in during the UOR publish. When the UOR version of precasting was readded into the era with Publish 13 the mechanic was removed and this was during the Summer of 2001.

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:

Actually when I started here equipping interrupted your casting
Hector was talking about OSI/EA production shards back in 1999, not here.

inmani

Post by inmani »

Hemperor wrote:This is more of a discussion and what exists in the demo.

Equipping in the demo does not interrupt your spell. You can cast a spell, equip and start loading a swing/fight. This is what actually makes Pre-T2A combat work, because there is a large equip delay in Pre-T2A.

If I remember correctly, the implementation of equip-disrupt was based off of majority opinion, there was no evidence either way. Correct me if I'm wrong, curious as to what is really behind our mechanic on it.

As another small note, earthquake damage (from quick glance) appears to do half the damage of a victim's maximum HP (if they aren't a NPC), which would tend to be 50 rather than the 60 we see here.

EDIT:
Discussion during the re-implementation of precasting (UOR)
you do need hands free to cast
> the spell. Re-equipping during the casting will interrupt the spell.
> After the spell is over, you can re-equip the weapon."
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... +interrupt#
http://update.uo.com/design_346.html

So a long equip delay...means breaks debuff spell interruption combo's (exactly what I remember not being part of early uo)
Manually equip/unequip target breaks debuff spell interruption combo's (once again)
per-meditation curse>feeble mind+weaken+clumsy (less mana used curse was widely used makes sense even used in wtfman.com flash video Des Sanct!)
curse>feeble mind+weaken+clumsy less time equip, unequip, and target manually without hot key macro's (remember per spell and remember long equip delay as well above!)
UOExtreme no arm/disarm equip delay to or unequip I remember being able to spam this like flicking a light switch on/off quickly OSI 1 second delay per item to do either.
Mages favored Katana's more sustain particularly deadly poisoned and spell interrupts and used Hablred's really only as a finish after a explosion ebolt mana dump combo and gank attacks due to the higher burst damage (I don't really see that being the case on private emulator servers so much seems like its the opposite that I've seen come across)
Their was no instant hit pre-T2A from what I recall or you could dodge the melee animations if you moved out of the way at the last second a lot of times even with some of the quicker weapons it was the case, but far more apparent with slower weapons as well as players with low dex.
I remember what felt like instant for archery during the preT2A archery era,but I think what I'm remember wasn't instant hit at all, but rather a reset timer from all ready equipped item not one that you had just taken off and equipped again.
The hands must be free disrupt message you had to unequip your weapon before casting a spell or got that message OSI I believe changed that with the added arm/disarm patch by making you auto unequip items I'm unsure if it also applied to equipping the spell again prior to casting finished though it might have and could have been in place to provide none UOExtreme users are more fair chance against them some (completely explains the unequip hands before casting feature in UOExtreme however and that's proof enough to unequip hands first or spell fizzling part!)

See I don't recall spell disruptions from players at least during PVP outside of melee and actual spell damage or not to the spell combo extent and impact it's been used on the private servers in contrast to live and I've been saying that for years in RunUO servers my biggest problem is the bulk of my UO playing was during UO Gold and early T2A, but ask yourself this if the feeble mind+weaken+clumsy interrupt combo I know it wasn't used really during the era for that purpose because for starters arm/disarm and last target weren't even legit OSI game features at the time they were 3rd party exploits.
Last edited by inmani on Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inmani

Post by inmani »

nightshark wrote:For what its worth, Usenet posts aren't always the most reliable. Lots of people have no clue what they're talking about. Even Stratics had a terrible PvP essay for mages. There are people on UOSA who think using katanas in PvP is a good idea.
It is with deadly poison not to mention Katana's are way better for spell interrupts, but it all depends on a lot of variables include the way these private servers are configured which seem to be conflicting from 1 supposed era accurate T2A server to the next claiming to be the most accurate legitimate factually era correct server of them all let alone the player base on the servers dictating the things the server admins are unsure about and don't have actual facts anywhere to know one way or another and are just guessing about well this looks about right.

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

Just stop
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really