Equipping while casting

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Equipping while casting

Post by Hemperor »

This is more of a discussion and what exists in the demo.

Equipping in the demo does not interrupt your spell. You can cast a spell, equip and start loading a swing/fight. This is what actually makes Pre-T2A combat work, because there is a large equip delay in Pre-T2A.

If I remember correctly, the implementation of equip-disrupt was based off of majority opinion, there was no evidence either way. Correct me if I'm wrong, curious as to what is really behind our mechanic on it.

As another small note, earthquake damage (from quick glance) appears to do half the damage of a victim's maximum HP (if they aren't a NPC), which would tend to be 50 rather than the 60 we see here.

EDIT:
Discussion during the re-implementation of precasting (UOR)
you do need hands free to cast
> the spell. Re-equipping during the casting will interrupt the spell.
> After the spell is over, you can re-equip the weapon."
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... +interrupt#
http://update.uo.com/design_346.html

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Equipping while casting

Post by kill drizitz »

im curious as well.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I have been thinking about this issue for several months now. I honestly can't say how it was one way or the other. Personally, I remember it interrupting spells but this doesn't mean a whole lot though. There was a Stratics article from a player in mid-late '99 saying how this bug required fixing to make the game more balanced. I have been thinking that this feature existed all the way up until pre-casting was removed in early '00.

Good to discuss this matter though.

Everlynn

Post by Everlynn »

of coarse Faust and Hemporer are the first to comment about some dumb shit like this.

Its funny that almost all changes for the worse done to pvp have been made by the two of you board trolling till you get your way.

Psilo

Post by Psilo »

I think I remember it being slight but you could at the end of a spell equip.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Everlynn wrote:of coarse Faust and Hemporer are the first to comment about some dumb shit like this.

Its funny that almost all changes for the worse done to pvp have been made by the two of you board trolling till you get your way.
Board trolling?

Majority of the pvp changes here are actual exact replicas of code from OSI, or otherwise backed up by tons of research.

Currently there is evidence supporting equip while casting with no interrupt and absolutely zero supporting the opposite.

Caswallon
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Caswallon »

I think they are right, you could cast the spell, equip your hally, then drop the spell on someone without unequiping it. First time I ever got PK'd that happened to me so its a pretty sharp memory. Good luck finding proof however.
?

Valdric Flagg

Post by Valdric Flagg »

Caswallon wrote:I think they are right, you could cast the spell, equip your hally, then drop the spell on someone without unequiping it. First time I ever got PK'd that happened to me so its a pretty sharp memory. Good luck finding proof however.
Hello all, Im new here and havent had a chance to pvp yet but soon will be ready. I vividly remember being able to cast a spell, arm my hally at the end of the casting, swing and drop that spell at the same time without being disarmed prior to the addition of trammel. This is how I got so many kills back in the day.

Not sure how it works here, but I hope its close to what I remember. Thats why I came here. I was told this is an exact replicate of old school UO.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Caswallon wrote:I think they are right, you could cast the spell, equip your hally, then drop the spell on someone without unequiping it. First time I ever got PK'd that happened to me so its a pretty sharp memory. Good luck finding proof however.
It sort of worked like that. However, if you tried to target the spell with the weapon equipped it wouldn't work. What pretty much happens is that equipping the weapon while casting it wouldn't ruin the spell concetration. Once the target pops up the spell could be casted while your hands are free. If this was the current system the spell would be ruined immediately upon equipping the weapon.

This system is in fact accurate for the pre-t2a era up to July '98 with no evidence really suggesting that it was ever fixed making the current system incorrect. Again, I personally remember it interrupting the spell while equipping a weapon. This could simply be faulty from playing UOR version of pre-casting on player run shards though.

I'm still wondering if anyone can come up with any negative aspects of this old feature.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Faust wrote:
It sort of worked like that. However, if you tried to target the spell with the weapon equipped it wouldn't work. What pretty much happens is that equipping the weapon while casting it wouldn't ruin the spell concetration. Once the target pops up the spell could be casted while your hands are free. If this was the current system the spell would be ruined immediately upon equipping the weapon.

This system is in fact accurate for the pre-t2a era up to July '98 with no evidence really suggesting that it was ever fixed making the current system incorrect. Again, I personally remember it interrupting the spell while equipping a weapon. This could simply be faulty from playing UOR version of pre-casting on player run shards though.

I'm still wondering if anyone can come up with any negative aspects of this old feature.
i clearly remember being able to target a spell with something equiped. just as caswallon said. it was a pretty big deal.

EDIT: i dont think this is what hemp was talking about in his original post, so i was also curious why you can disrupt yourself. not only was pvp interesting not being able to do so, but it seemed more accurate IMO. just my .02 cents.

Faust

Post by Faust »

If you were able to target the spell with something in your hands it was before July 1998 since it's clearly not possible inside of the demo.

Valdric Flagg

Post by Valdric Flagg »

Faust wrote:If you were able to target the spell with something in your hands it was before July 1998 since it's clearly not possible inside of the demo.
I didnt start playing until March 99. Targeting something/someone with something in your hands was a huge part of pvp. That was the timing everyone worked on.

platy

Post by platy »

I remember targeting while equipped.. was a fun time, I even remember the day it was changed (Not the date just the day they patched it out) and I was supremely dissapointed!
Was more fun imho but I don't remember the date so I can't argue its accuracy..

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

This topic was never about targetting while equipped. This is something that was never possible during T2A (and majority of Pre-T2A, if not all).

Valdric Flagg

Post by Valdric Flagg »

Hemperor wrote:This topic was never about targetting while equipped. This is something that was never possible during T2A (and majority of Pre-T2A, if not all).
True, but during the discussion the topic has evolved. You cant equip something during the cast but once your spell is cast you could equip something (usually a weapon) and then target your spell. I cant remember if it disarmed you when you activated the spell, but I do vividly remember never seeing the message "Your hands must be free to cast spells or meditate" while targeting my spells.

I started Pacific April in 1999.