Events - The most inaccurate thing on the shard.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Jiggo

Events - The most inaccurate thing on the shard.

Post by Jiggo »

Im sure this has probably been discussed in the past, but when I think of things on this shard that are inaccurate, only one thing comes to mind:

Events.

Instead of having to go out in the world and explore, build skills, create your own content, players can sit around waiting for events. To me, it feels like WoW, just endlessly doing battlegrounds instead of any meaningful world pvp. Why run around in dungeons looking for pvp or fighting monsters when you can just wait for the next event? Why even leave your house until then? I think the effects of this are quite obvious, as everytime I recall around the map, i usually do not find a single person.

What is all this talk of risk vs reward? Player created content? The way things were back in the day?

Just hang out and wait for the next instanced, meaningless event. No brain power required.

I think this is a MAJOR flaw in the shard. I remember when IPY first came out, EVERYONE was in the dungeons. If you wanted something to do, you had to go find or make something to do.

This includes all events, tournaments and all. Tournaments should be the players doing, not an automated system that people use to prove who is the best. This is completely counter to the era and to the goals of this shard.

Does anyone else agree with this? Everytime theres an event, it literally sucks every active player out of the world until the event ends.

Anon

Re: Events - The most inaccurate thing on the shard.

Post by Anon »

*cough* fwerp *cough*

Chance

Post by Chance »

Jiggo,

I've been opposed to the instanced events since I first came to UOSA & agree w/ basically everything you've posted above.

Unfortunately, at this point, I think removing them would do more harm than good. :?
~ Xigig ~ Mojoka ~ Shadowclan Orcs ~

corr]

Post by corr] »

Events happened on the real shards albeit at a much lower frequency. Events are fun, and that's what I play this shard for. If events were taken out the "real world pvp" would still be people ghosting all the hotspot and the brit graveyard guard game.

Downs

Post by Downs »

I never have a problem finding ppl out of town. You just gotta know where to look...
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Chance

Post by Chance »

corr] wrote:Events happened on the real shards albeit at a much lower frequency. Events are fun, and that's what I play this shard for. If events were taken out the "real world pvp" would still be people ghosting all the hotspot and the brit graveyard guard game.
I seriously don't ever recall taking part in an instanced event on pay-to-play Ultima, and definately not anything that was "free use". I do recall 1 cross-server "Tournament of Champions" at one point, though (would've been post UO:R), but since I didn't participate I can't comment much beyond that. In game Seer events or random interaction w/ Seer spawned/controlled creatures was great back in the day, but I understand the potential for favortism/abuse here on UOSA (or at least cries from the masses claiming it) and respect Derrick & staff if they choose not to do more stuff like this.

The tools are already in our hands, as players, to run our own events and/or propose them to Staff & have help running them. Bottom line is that players, myself included, are lazy & selfish. The bulk of us don't want to put in the time & effort it would require into setting up, running, & paying out prizes for events.

corr]

Post by corr] »

Chance wrote:
corr] wrote:Events happened on the real shards albeit at a much lower frequency. Events are fun, and that's what I play this shard for. If events were taken out the "real world pvp" would still be people ghosting all the hotspot and the brit graveyard guard game.
I seriously don't ever recall taking part in an instanced event on pay-to-play Ultima, and definately not anything that was "free use". I do recall 1 cross-server "Tournament of Champions" at one point, though (would've been post UO:R), but since I didn't participate I can't comment much beyond that. In game Seer events or random interaction w/ Seer spawned/controlled creatures was great back in the day, but I understand the potential for favortism/abuse here on UOSA (or at least cries from the masses claiming it) and respect Derrick & staff if they choose not to do more stuff like this.

The tools are already in our hands, as players, to run our own events and/or propose them to Staff & have help running them. Bottom line is that players, myself included, are lazy & selfish. The bulk of us don't want to put in the time & effort it would require into setting up, running, & paying out prizes for events.

You're right that the events weren't automatic, but does that really make a difference to this argument?

Free-Use is being phased out as far as I know.

Why would it be beneficial for players to "put in the time and effort" instead of what happens now?

Faust

Post by Faust »

It was to my understanding that events were eventually going to be phased and merged into the real world to remove this current "wow instanced based" setup. At least there seemed to be a big push for this a few months back with huge support. The events that happened on production shards were in the real world where the same thing should be applied here.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Events and trophies are, by far, my least favorite part of this shard. And, in my eyes, the most inaccurate.

But, the fact is, UO players are flat-out addicted to stupid sh1t like this. One way or another, they're addicted to rares/neon hair/neon sandals/etc, and thus the trophies needed to acquire them. We say we're here to avoid that, but it's sadly just not true.

Chance

Post by Chance »

corr] wrote:
Chance wrote:

You're right that the events weren't automatic, but does that really make a difference to this argument?

Free-Use is being phased out as far as I know.

Why would it be beneficial for players to "put in the time and effort" instead of what happens now?
I never mentioned 'automatic' that I can see. I mentioned 'instanced'.

Instance:
These instances are special areas in the World of Warcraft where your group or raid party is able to interact with a dungeon privately; that is, without interference from other parties or raids
Instanced anything is far from era accurate.

I think the move towards less, or no, free-use is a great step in the right direction - we need more gold sinks on UOSA.

From past experience, player run events can help create and strengthen bonds as well as fostering respect (even between bitter rivals) within the community. They also have the potential to increase "real game world" interaction: from working with others to coordinate, to the actual events themselves, and perhaps even the gathering of items/etc for the rewards.

benny-

Post by benny- »

Completely agree...events have always been one of my least favorite aspects of this shard. I hate saying it, as I dont want to come off as unappreciative for the staff to take the time and effort to provide us something to do, but the events here really detract from the actual gameplay of the server.

Field pvp is killed when people would rather wait for a ctf, where they can get their pvp fix in and do so without any risk. Why try to earn some pvp status by dueling others in the field when you can play in the controlled environment of a 1vs1 tourney with fair rules and again, no risk?

When you compound the issue, by running multiple events throughout every day, I really think it attributes to the lack of activity ingame.

Id really like to see the automated events, the ctfs, pvp tourneys, etc removed completely and leave it up to the players to host such events. Beyond that, the more era style events such as town invasions, are always welcome to me, as they dont detract at all from the gameplay.

As for being detrimental to remove these at this point, I think if they were to be slowly phased out as Faust stated, it could go over smoothly...begin holding them once a day, every other, etc, until they were removed completely. This would encourage players to begin finding content ingame, relying less and less on the automated events.
- Elisud

Faust

Post by Faust »

I believe taking the middle ground is in the best interest of the shard and the players. By phasing the events into the real world even if it requires changing a specific event around altogether it would please both sides of the argument. The events would still exist but actually take part in the real world where field pvp could follow in suit before, during, and directly after one ends. This would serve as an ignition starter to at least spark up activity in the field. We all know how badly the last "wipe all the events" turned out the last time when Fwerp and Fruit Loops suggested it. The shard boomed for 2 weeks until people settled in and started logging in and out when there were no one on to fight. The shard declined when a lot of the pvper's left because of it. The population has actually increased a lot since they were all restored. There is no reason the events couldn't be merged into the real game world where there could still be risk involved with them.

Anon

Post by Anon »

Yea... im like really over the whole ass hat reward system also, because people with trophies are greedy and its no longer making sense what so ever

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=14218

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14261

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=13416

Obviously you have people logging on just to do a tournament that like 5 people will enter, or ctf, or some crap .. like all marking the alarms on their cell phone or something then gouging the market for e z $$. Not to mention the massive hoarding derrick was complaining about not to long ago, GEE MIGHT A LOT OF THESE ITEMS BEEN TROPHIES acquired from back when they were a lot more abundant?

I luv how one person was even saying to me, "Well gee, ya know, i should charge more than 18k per point because after all its harder to find all these trophies... you would have to go to more than one person"

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

We all know how badly the last "wipe all the events" turned out the last time when Fwerp and Fruit Loops suggested it
I NEVER suggested this, and fought ardently AGAINST this. I said Fruit Loops was wrong, and I predicted that it would have a net negative effect on the number of active players at any given time. Maybe there are currently too many events -- I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. However, removing events is simply going to result in fewer people logging on, less synchronization of playing times, and an overall less entertaining server.

Again, for the record, I NEVER, EVER, EVER suggested removing events, and fought vociferously for additional events, and for the restoration of trophy points at CTF/DD/Etc.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Someone mentioned your name above and I just went from there. :wink:

I do know Fruit Loops was a huge advocate of removing them for sure.