Guildstones and Houses

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Pristiq

Guildstones and Houses

Post by Pristiq »

So I was reading the patch notes and came across this:

[quote=Housing Update Phase 3 Dec 21 1998 1:48PM]
Demolish house will allow demolishing the house back into a deed.
The option will pull up an "are you sure" gump making it clear that this will delete guilds and vendors.[/quote]

I personally don't remember much from the OSI T2A, but it would seem as though that without a house, there would be no guild. Does anyone else remember running into an abandoned guildstone (and what happened to it if you paged a GM) and/or if there was a guildstone graveyard?

I also found this in the same patch note, which is not implemented here:
A deed for that type of house will be placed in the bank unless the person is a murderer, in which case it will go in the backpack.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40810 - HOLY HELL AN AWESOME VENDOR?!

Faust

Re: Guildstones and Houses

Post by Faust »

Guild stone decay was added in early '00.
Guild Stone Revisions Feb 9 2000 4:25PM CST wrote:Guild Stone Decay
Guild stones will decay in approximately one week if they are not in a house.
Guild members will be messaged each time they log in if their stone is subject to decay.
The guild master of a guild will need turn the guild stone into a "teleport stone" before it decays.
This could simply mean one of two things. Guild stones were still left over after a collapse or they were forcing a cleanup of any guild stones that were mistakenly left/still exist on boats, etc... We should try to gather some more information about this to be sure they were actually deleted after a collapse of a house.

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

Yea I just found that. Wasn't sure what to make of it.
chumbucket wrote:Everyone else, don't be a jerk to staff. Maahes cries enough already.

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

Of course you'll need to verify it, but basically for the "short" span of time from those notes, guildstones would remain on the ground and you'd have to page a GM to have them move it. Here's an actual screenshot of when I had to have a GM come and move a guildstone
OSI STaff.jpg
OSI STaff.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 5946 times
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Pristiq

Post by Pristiq »

I did some digging and came across these two newsgroups posts.

Pre-patch:
And post-patch:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.computer.ultima.online/browse_thread/thread/81155da2c6955594/8ed7771ec042c3e5?lnk=gst&q=collapsing+stone#8ed7771ec042c3e5 wrote: Every once in a while I think about redeeding the house just so I could get rid of that friggin stone.
So it would appear that deeding a house did indeed get rid of any guildstone inside.

RoadKill, do you remember what the GM did with that stone?

EDIT: In that second newsgroup post they were talking about invalid guildstones left behind by collapsed houses that could only be moved by the guildmaster to a valid location.

EDIT TWO:

It would appear near the end of February 1999 GMs were either moving or removing invalid stones. If moved, not sure where to:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... cb1b797ec0

EDIT THREE:

It seems that by April there was still no official stance on what GMs were meant to do with invalid stones:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... cb104d5f54

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Very interesting post by the man himself:
The next time that the guildmaster visits that stone, it will
automatically pack up.

-Raph Koster
Lead Designer, Ultima Online
Third post: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... cb104d5f54

This is the first post I'd seen from him, but aparently Raph was pretty active in the newsgroups:
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile ... JwqRh8YCsA
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Still not sure on what to do about decaying guildstones, but there are 467 guildstones in the "guildstone graveyard", this represents over half of the guildstones on the shard.

I am going to queue all the existing guildstones in the graveyard for deletion in 30 days; If you have a guildstone in the graveyard that you'd like to keep, please speak up for it now.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Derrick wrote:Still not sure on what to do about decaying guildstones, but there are 467 guildstones in the "guildstone graveyard", this represents over half of the guildstones on the shard.

I am going to queue all the existing guildstones in the graveyard for deletion in 30 days; If you have a guildstone in the graveyard that you'd like to keep, please speak up for it now.
There's a guildstone outside my tower sitting on the ground. Should I just page a GM if I want to get rid of it?
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Rendar wrote:
Derrick wrote:Still not sure on what to do about decaying guildstones, but there are 467 guildstones in the "guildstone graveyard", this represents over half of the guildstones on the shard.

There's a guildstone outside my tower sitting on the ground. Should I just page a GM if I want to get rid of it?
Aye, any guildstones in the open will be picked up on request.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

The two time during T2A that I needed stones moved, they just put them behind some trees within sight of their original location. Both of them at the same house. :lol: They did the same thing with vendors. Was a hell of an eyesore for a long time. Unfortunetly I don't recall when the stones finally vanished.

Rendar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rendar »

Derrick wrote:
Rendar wrote:

Aye, any guildstones in the open will be picked up on request.

Thanks for grabbing that stone yesterday. :)
Preciate it.
Lord Rendar
Knight, UDL
http://www.undeadlords.net
Catskills/Siege Perilous
Your soul for Myrkul!

Arkosh Kovasz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Arkosh Kovasz »

So have the inactive stones decayed yet? I'm looking to reactivate a guild that I used to be in, and while trying to place a new stone with the same name and acronym it says its already in use. However, I can't look the guild up on myUOSA.

So is it because it's still in the graveyard with nobody on it? If so, is there anyway to reclaim the stone or have it deleted so that I might make a new one?

Daelan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Daelan »

I had a problem with one blocking the placement of a house on a small island I live on.
I paged a Gm and Derrick poped out made it go away and left me a message telling me what was done and have a nice day.
I Placed the house so yes I did have a nice day.

Not Everyday Will Someone Make You Happy.

BUT

Everyday Someone Will Piss You Off!

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Derrick wrote:Very interesting post by the man himself:
The next time that the guildmaster visits that stone, it will
automatically pack up.

-Raph Koster
Lead Designer, Ultima Online
Third post: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... cb104d5f54

This is the first post I'd seen from him, but aparently Raph was pretty active in the newsgroups:
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile ... JwqRh8YCsA
He was definitely the most frequent poster.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Arkosh Kovasz wrote:So have the inactive stones decayed yet? I'm looking to reactivate a guild that I used to be in, and while trying to place a new stone with the same name and acronym it says its already in use. However, I can't look the guild up on myUOSA.

So is it because it's still in the graveyard with nobody on it? If so, is there anyway to reclaim the stone or have it deleted so that I might make a new one?
They have not yet. Stones in the graveyard are not visible on myUOSA.

If anyone neds a stone recovered, now is the time to ask. I'll be deleting em right awy.

Derrick (Apr 6) wrote:I am going to queue all the existing guildstones in the graveyard for deletion in 30 days; If you have a guildstone in the graveyard that you'd like to keep, please speak up for it now.