Water Barrels

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Water Barrels

Post by Kaivan »

A quick test on the demo reveals that water barrels don't block movement and that they aren't movable. The lack of a decay timer is something that is a provable position via screenshots (which do exist, it's jut a matter of finding them) of houses lined with water barrels.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

If anything is done with making lidless barrels available, at the same time could the graphic equaling the current empty barrel be changed to the accurate one of a barrel with lid.
Ive asked a few times to have this graphic changed and I know its real low on the to do list. But if these are going to be tinkered with it would seem the perfect time to fix the spawning rare barrels to the ones with lids.
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

BlackFoot wrote:If anything is done with making lidless barrels available, at the same time could the graphic equaling the current empty barrel be changed to the accurate one of a barrel with lid.
Ive asked a few times to have this graphic changed and I know its real low on the to do list. But if these are going to be tinkered with it would seem the perfect time to fix the spawning rare barrels to the ones with lids.
I dont agree that pre-existing items should be messed with in any way. Unless you mean, start spawning it as the covered variant.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:A quick test on the demo reveals that water barrels don't block movement and that they aren't movable. The lack of a decay timer is something that is a provable position via screenshots (which do exist, it's jut a matter of finding them) of houses lined with water barrels.
This was my small tower on Atlantic, notice the barrels:
bottom-floor.jpg
bottom-floor.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
I started playing right at the beginning UO:R, and they were initially impassable until a patch later on changed them to passable because of the amount of griefing going on (people blocking in moongates, other peoples houses, etc.)

Its not like you could just cast blade spirits or use pets to destroy them, you literally had to drain them to move them. But the draining part also made them a pain to acquire in the first place, since you would have to fill 2 or 3 jugs of water to get them to unlock.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While the screenshot does show the water barrels as a sort of static decoration, your recollection of water barrels being impassible contradicts the demo and live servers in its function. The demo confirms all mechanics of the water barrel except the decay of such an item (that would take quite some time to confirm).

In my personal recollection from stealing semi-rares in Vesper during late T2A, water barrels were a passable object, and this is confirmed on the demo and on live servers.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

O i don't care if current existing barrels are changed or not, just that the proper graphic starts to exist. I dont know how the back end of 'items' work, if they were to change the associated graphic with that particular item would it change all the existing ones or not i duno. Its annoying trying to line up crafted barrel lids onto the barrels and looks bad :<
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:While the screenshot does show the water barrels as a sort of static decoration, your recollection of water barrels being impassible contradicts the demo and live servers in its function. The demo confirms all mechanics of the water barrel except the decay of such an item (that would take quite some time to confirm).
I said that they were once impassable but they were later changed to passable; which is what the live servers currently reflect. They never decayed.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

If they were not passable at one time, the demo would reflect this behavior.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

They were not passable because people usually put candelabras underneath them to make blockades. This was highly common around faction bases.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Van Raily

Post by Van Raily »

Yeah. Water barrels have always been passable to my knowledge - it's using them to hide blockable items (like candelabras and boxes or whatever else), as mentioned above. If they were ever non-passable, it was very, very early in UO, and would have been fixed rather quickly, I would imagine. RP towns and guilds had them outside their areas as walls/fences/palisades (and my town had a pretty sweet wall made out of them, 3-4 high, 2-3 barrels on each square to deter thieves, and stretching along the choke of a peninsula that sectioned off the town from the rest of the mainland). However, it was completely passable - it was only for looks.

Also, they never decay. Ever. There are water barrels in Felucca that have been there for years and years, long before Trammel. I think it's because once it becomes "a water barrel", it becomes a static item in the world or something and so doesn't apply the normal decay rates (note that water barrels aren't highlightable, for example, nor movable).

Additionally, in terms of how much a water barrel can hold: 5 pitchers of water. That's the most, if I remember correctly (we did the math on our wall - it was like 2700-something pitchers of water to make fill up). Since I drank about 25-30 pitchers on one water barrel in Trinsic and still didn't drain it, I have to say this isn't working, hehe.

And finally, about OSI barrels today, you can now fill barrel containers with water and drain them, and they're still containers. Back then, though, you couldn't fill "container" barrels, but had to fill specifically barrels that weren't containers (and thus when emptying a water barrel, you'd get "a barrel" with no ability to be used). Otherwise it said "you can't pour that there" if you tried pouring it into a "container" barrel. Likewise, if you had a barrel (non-container, thus a potential "a water barrel") locked down in your house, and someone used a pitcher of water on it, it would become a water barrel, and they could then drain it and take it (thus stealing a lock down from your house).
Gone to greener pastures.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

According to the demo, here are the functions of water barrels:
  • Water barrels can be made out of container barrels, provided the barrel is empty.
  • Water barrels are passable.
  • Water barrels cannot be highlighted.
  • Water barrels can be filled by a theoretically infinite number of water pitchers (23 were successfully placed in a barrel on the demo)
  • Water barrels stack under other items (this may be different depending on the specific item)
  • When emptied, water barrels that were originally capable of holding items became barrels that could not hold items (once the item count was placed on items this became apparent with a single click of the barrel).
This all lines up very well with live OSI servers in terms of functionality.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Water barrels can be filled by a theoretically infinite number of water pitchers (23 were successfully placed in a barrel on the demo)
Would it take an equal number to empty?

As in, the max length of an interger?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Water barrels can be filled by a theoretically infinite number of water pitchers (23 were successfully placed in a barrel on the demo)

It is probably limited by the size of a non-long integer, but I don't know for sure. In terms of how it would have been applied on OSI servers, an object variable would have been attached to the barrel, turning it in to a water barrel in the eyes of the server. This would mean that a particular water barrel could have up to whatever the maximum number of variables that is allowed on a given object (256, 512, whatever), and you would need to remove each attachment one at a time by transferring each variable from a barrel to an empty liquid holding container.

tl;dr Yes you should need an equal number to empty it.

marvin

Post by marvin »

ClowN wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:I honestly forget if they were ever impassable, but if so, 1000 new ideas just came into my head.

"Mechanical Accuracy" right?

they were definately impassable and unmovable until the water was drained out. one of the more popular PK guilds on chesapeake would block off certain areas in t2a near the ophidian fort to keep their prey from running away. only problem was they would have to be "refreshed" by draining them and picking them back up, then dropping and refilling to keep them from decaying on the ground. they were affected by the same decay timer as other items left on the ground im pretty sure. lots of dirty things can be done with these though. cant wait to see it here.
Pretty much everything you said in this post is wrong.

Water barrels were passable, always. The UO demo even has them as passable.

Water barrels did not decay, ever. They were permanent static items which did not go anywhere at all until someone drank all the water from them to turn them back into a regular non-static barrel.

marvin

Post by marvin »

Kaivan wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:

It is probably limited by the size of a non-long integer, but I don't know for sure. In terms of how it would have been applied on OSI servers, an object variable would have been attached to the barrel, turning it in to a water barrel in the eyes of the server. This would mean that a particular water barrel could have up to whatever the maximum number of variables that is allowed on a given object (256, 512, whatever), and you would need to remove each attachment one at a time by transferring each variable from a barrel to an empty liquid holding container.

tl;dr Yes you should need an equal number to empty it.
Did you try emptying the barrel after putting 23 jugs of water into it?

I'm pretty sure that water barrels had a maximum 'charges' of water. You could keep "filling" it but the extra water over the max charges just disappeared. I think it was 20 jugs or something, making a max charges of 100 waters per barrel (each jug holds 5).