Mining Observations

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Lost-Scythe

Mining Observations

Post by Lost-Scythe »

Well id like to say, awesome idea for a server.

Now onto the meat of this post, mining:

Okay so I noticed i am getting a max of 32 ore from a single spot but it is random sometimes how much I get. That could be due to not having high enough skill to get colored ore yet, but if I recall correctly there used to be around 16 ore for each spot. Also the way that the different ore sizes combine doesnt seem to corispond to my memories of mining on osi. From looking at stratics they seem to have the correct ore size info from what i can remeber, and from what i recall when you combined a small ore with a big ore it would become one pile of small ore with the same amount of total ignots. Also i got 197 big ore from two shovels when im certain that the shovels in t2a could only get exactly 51 count of ore max, including big and small ore, per shovel or pickaxe.

Also theres a small tip section on the miner profession with what seems like "old school" mining advice, http://uo.stratics.com/content/professi ... er.shtml#2.

Ill quote it here:
"Some things you need to know: respawned caves will generate 16 big ore, cliffs vary, and dungeons can spawn 16+. Mining tools are good for 51 successful mining attempts. Shovels are not equipable and can be created by player tinkers, but pickaxes can be equipped as weapons (and are only available from NPC's). A container can hold 20 big ore.

- Mortus Kaine (Pacific)"

Im not sure what you guys took into consideration for the mining system but it doesnt seem to be accurate. Oh and if you did these changes on purpose can you post that info somewhere so people dont get confused? Thanks for reading this. OH and 1 skill tinkers dont start with tinker tools, and tinker tools break but they didnt before.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Wow, thanks for this feedback, and references too.

I coded the different sizes of ores and their ingot equivalencies mostly from my own recollection; I did a lot of mining back in the day but i see now i was a little off. I now understand what's happening here and I can fix this.

You're right the ores should yield different amounts of ingots from the same "looking" item. The way it is right now, each kind represents a certain amount of ingots per item instead of remembering the correct combined value. The result being that you lose potential ingots when combining.

That also reminds be (you partially alluded to it) that you could directly mine a smaller piece of ore and not only get them as a result of failing smelting. The RunUO engine doesn't support this feature at all right now, but we can do it.

I'm not surprised to find that the durability for tools is wrong. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We will get these revised as soon as we can.

Thanks much for this post and it's great to have you on the shard.

You'll likely find a lot of the little things just aren't quite right yet, we brought the server live in mid-december after many months of coding and testing. The systems are so huge that we are still trying to get some of the little things fixed and we are really relying on players to help us find them. Feedback like this is invaluable to making this server as authentic as it can possibly be short of placing 3000 houses in every open spot and spawning 20 thieves at each bank.

I will try to make these changes all together in one patch rather than nerfing the shovels right now and leaving the ingot problem unchanged.

Lost-Scythe

Post by Lost-Scythe »

Nice to know my feedback is apreciated, now back to trying to get enough ignots to gm smithing :/