A whole bunch of incorrect stuff

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

A whole bunch of incorrect stuff

Post by MatronDeWinter »

If the patch/date isnt in the quote, it's under the patch/date of the quote above it.
April 14th update Apr 14 1999 11:01AM CST

* Skills and Magic
o Anatomy and Evaluate Intelligence will no longer work on Town Criers.
o You will once again be able to fish up magic fish and boots from shore.
o The targeting range for all spells that target people or creatures is now 10 tiles.
o The area of effect for all spells that target locations is now 15 tiles.
New tinkering menu, pets, auto-stacking, and more. May 25 1999 9:41AM CST

* Skills
o Tinkering
+ Tinkering will have a new menu with tabbed pages. We are testing out this menu style with this skill before adopting its use for all skills.
In the above patch, there is also...
Transfer and friending actually do two loyalty checks--one for the old owner and one for the new. Both must succeed for the order to be obeyed.

Attackers will now receive a message when their poisoned weapon poisons a victim.
Mini-Update Sep 1 1999 7:36PM CST

The following changes will be in effect after the shards come back from their daily maintenance.

* Characters that are flagged as criminals or aggressors will no longer be able to instantly log out of the game while in their house or in an inn.
Sept. 22nd Publish Sep 22 1999 4:27PM CST
(smelting)
The more wear and tear on an item, the less ingots it will return.

Items purchased from an NPC will yield only one ingot when smelted.

Smelting dyeable kite shields will return regular ingots regardless of the color of the ingots used to make the shield.

# Use scissors on clothing or leather armor to get the cloth or leather.
# The amount of cloth or leather yielded is tied to the tailoring skill. The higher your skill in tailoring, the more cloth/leather you will get.

Potions can be crafted directly in the keg if there are no bottles in the alchemist’s backpack.

* After you begin to make a potion you will be given a targeting cursor.
* Clicking on the potion keg will add one potion
Ultima Messenger system should be in effect. It was a sort of in-game email.
Looks like it was part of the sep 22, 1999 patch also.

Alchemy Messages Nov 23 1999 1:15PM CST

* Alchemy messages will appear in the lower left of the UO play window of the alchemist. Other players will not see the messages.
Carpentry Nov 23 1999 2:18PM CST

Carpentry

The carpentry skill will no longer use more cloth than is needed.

* When creating an item with carpentry all of the undyed cloth in your backpack will be stacked.
* The appropriate amount of cloth is then taken to make the item.
* If possible, the remaining cloth will be converted into bolts.
Boats Nov 23 1999 2:20PM CST

Boats

Some issues involving boats will be addressed.

* Issues that did not allow players to dry dock a boat even when it was empty will be resolved.
* The miniature boat models will now say the type of boat and the name of the boat when examined (single clicked).

Code: Select all

Perma-reds Nov 23 1999 2:37PM CST

Saying "I must consider my sins" has been updated to include a message that will let you know if your character is permanently red.

[color=#FFFF00]If your character is permanently red, you will receive the message, "You are known throughout the land as a murderous brigand[/color]." 
Taste ID Changes Nov 23 1999 2:45PM CST

Taste ID

The Taste Identification skill is now difficulty based.

* Potions will be more difficult to taste than food is.
* Poisoned food and drink will also be more difficult to discern.
* The sound affects for tasting are now correct for food and liquids.
* Tasting poisoned food or drink now has a chance to poison you on failure.
* Potion Kegs can be Taste IDed (Information on Taste ID and potion kegs is below).
* Potions from alchemy kegs not Taste IDed will only return the color of the liquid when looked at.
Since we have co-owners..

Code: Select all

Selecting Co-owners

[color=#FFFF00]   * Other characters on the same account as the house owner will be treated as co-owners unless:
          o They are already an owner or co-owner of another house. [/color]

* [color=#FFFF00]You may select up to eight characters to be co-owners:
          o A co-owner may not be the owner of a house.
          o A co-owner may not be a co-owner of another house.[/color] 

[color=#FFFF00]Co-owners can also place one secure container, called a "strongbox[/color]". 
Masks/Sandals/Etc should take damage and break.
Blessed clothing can still take damage (from maces for example).

I also want to question whether or not keys, on rings should be usable while locked down, and state that there is no way these things (or any item for that matter) should be locked down on a porch, simply because the height is altered.

If people could lock usable keys on their porches, they would have, and yeah, they would have found a way, there were literally dozens of lock-down exploits in era, so I am sure every outlet was exhausted. I don't recall seeing this in t2a at all, (but im sure someone will say they have been doing it since bete :lol: )

Dagon

Re: A whole bunch of incorrect stuff

Post by Dagon »

you left out the number of house lockdowns and secures

Sea Serpents can only be found in really deep water. -- i see them right next to shore sometimes
Sea Serpents will return to deep water after 5 minutes if not attacked.

and some older patches since we're on the subject

Snooping now has a skill delay.

The peacemaking skill will only send messages to those who are in combat mode.
(no more bank spam plz)

re: carpentry crafting
Double-clicking the deed will give you a ghosted image of the item to place.
You must be a friend of the house to place them. (currently need to be owner, unless this was changed afterwards and i missed it)

and a reversal of current mechanics

Aug 23 2000
Boats will not be able to become drydocked unless the boat’s anchor is down.

so previous to that (our era) you could dry dock with the anchor up

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

o The area of effect for all spells that target locations is now 15 tiles.
Like Meteor swarm and chain lighting? That can't be right
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

I totally forgot about strong box's, I'm pretty sure they looked just like ballot boxes, and were place-able like trash barrels.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I agree with pretty much everyone Dagon listed except snooping having a skill delay. In our timeframe I am quite sure that this was not so.

Another thing I want to add:
Why can't you cast an EV onto a keep when you have line of sight? If they no longer open doors, what is the deal?

Faust

Post by Faust »

Pretty sure the snooping skill delay wasn't a real skill delay like anatomy, eval, item id, etc.. had in game. I think the action delay was just added to the skill and this is the delay they are talking about in the patch notes. We know snooping didn't have a long delay in UOR and it wasn't a part of the "reduce to 1 second" skills patched in early '00.

Unstablecorn

Post by Unstablecorn »

RoseRIP wrote:I totally forgot about strong box's, I'm pretty sure they looked just like ballot boxes, and were place-able like trash barrels.
Found this :

Co-owners Nov 23 1999 2:50PM CST

Co-owner Features
Co-owners will be able to do everything that an owner can, except:
Transfer ownership of the house.
Re-deed a house.
Add another co-owner.
Change the house locks.
Co-owners can also place one secure container, called a "strongbox".
To place a strongbox the co-owner must say, "I wish to place a strongbox". The strongbox will appear at your feet.
The strongbox can only be accessed by the co-owner who placed it and the owner of the house.
A strongbox can hold up to 25 items and has no weight restrictions. Note that the strongbox is a secure container, but items in the box do not count against the total number of lockdowns for that house. These strongboxes are additional storage.
A strongbox belonging to a co-owner that is removed will become unsecure (and subject to decay) as soon as it is accessed again.
Other characters on the same account that are being treated as co-owners will NOT be able to place a strongbox.

Now it does say "All of the features for co-owners are currently available for testing on the Test Center Shard." and I don't know if it was live in our time line.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

The November 23 patch is past our timeframe. As i've stated other places we should probably be removing co-owners, the other items from Nov 23 will not be added, this has been beaten to death many times before.

A lot of this stuff is in, and is relatively hard to digest and respond to, or discuss in the form it was presented. I think we should probably break these issues down into individual threads or bug reports as appropriate.

The smelting stuff is all in.
Crafting directly to kegs is on the list.
"Attackers will now receive a message when their poisoned weapon poisons" is in
"Transfer and friending actually do two loyalty checks--one for the old owner and one for the new. Both must succeed for the order to be obeyed." is in I think, will check.
"Tinkering will have a new menu with tabbed pages." is belived to have been pulled as discussed elsewhere.
"criminals or aggressors will no longer be able to instantly log out " I belive this has been in since day one.
"Anatomy and Evaluate Intelligence will no longer work on Town Criers." is in.

The "The area of effect for all spells that target locations is now 15 tiles." is interesting. I belive this was resolved elsewhere but do not remember the details.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Faust

Post by Faust »

We are not using the housing system from this phase.

The comment about test center suggests that it wasn't live but doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't live for sure though.

Unstablecorn

Post by Unstablecorn »

Alright I wasn't sure of the exact time frame that we were in. I thought it was round the end of 99.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Derrick wrote: The smelting stuff is all in.
"Transfer and friending actually do two loyalty checks--one for the old owner and one for the new. Both must succeed for the order to be obeyed." is in I think, will check.
"Tinkering will have a new menu with tabbed pages." is belived to have been pulled as discussed elsewhere.
"criminals or aggressors will no longer be able to instantly log out " I belive this has been in since day one.

The "The area of effect for all spells that target locations is now 15 tiles." is interesting. I belive this was resolved elsewhere but do not remember the details.
As for the ones that are already in, sorry about that. The pet-transfer loyalty checks are not in to my understanding, currently non-tamers can ride around on nightmares ect.

I know there was a change to allow murderers the ability to insta-log or something, but I was not (am not) quite sure if this is in place for criminals or those with an aggressor. I wanted to talk about this one because I do not know if it does/should be applied to NPC's. For instance, if a ratman is aggressing you, can you insta-log? I have noticed that when i attack a guildmate in my house, I can still insta-log even though I have an aggressor.

Karik Verlee
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Karik Verlee »

MatronDeWinter wrote:wanted to talk about this one because I do not know if it does/should be applied to NPC's. For instance, if a ratman is aggressing you, can you insta-log? I have noticed that when i attack a guildmate in my house, I can still insta-log even though I have an aggressor.
I remember this being a huge hassle on OSI. You would have to relog in tab in and out a few times before the monster outside would let you log. I hated it. I think it is currently not in effect on UOSA
Big John, Minin Man, Harm
Chesapeake May 1999-June 2008
Karik Verlee [TEB], Hilik [WL], Amabo [WL]
UOSA March, 28th 2010-Present

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Derrick wrote:The November 23 patch is past our timeframe. As i've stated other places we should probably be removing co-owners, the other items from Nov 23 will not be added, this has been beaten to death many times before.
Unless the dates on the UOSA wiki are wrong all of this stuff was added Nov 23, including rune books, and I've seen a thread somewhere where rune books would not be removed, end of story. There's a few things from this Nov23 time frame that we currently have which we shouldn't, then, if it's past out date.

I won't go down the list since it's right there in black and white.. but no potion kegs at all stand out, no makers marks on tinker/bowcraft/carpenters stand out, etc.

I certainly would not like to see any changes to co-owners since that would be play-style game breaking thing.. but what can you do..

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I actually think that the inability to co-own all your character will reduce some of the "OMG HOUSING CRISIS" that is going on, as it will in fact, be a hassle for people who house multiple characters in a single home to own more than one.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Derrick wrote: The smelting stuff is all in.

As for the ones that are already in, sorry about that. The pet-transfer loyalty checks are not in to my understanding, currently non-tamers can ride around on nightmares ect.

I know there was a change to allow murderers the ability to insta-log or something, but I was not (am not) quite sure if this is in place for criminals or those with an aggressor. I wanted to talk about this one because I do not know if it does/should be applied to NPC's. For instance, if a ratman is aggressing you, can you insta-log? I have noticed that when i attack a guildmate in my house, I can still insta-log even though I have an aggressor.
It should be noted that during the era, it was possible to transfer animals such as nightmares to non-tamers by releasing the animal.

In order to provide an official explanation that I expect to be quoted in the future regarding this mechanic:

According to all available sources, when an animal that was tamed during T2A was released or went wild, the amount of skill that it took to re-tame that creature was set to zero. That is, if a player tamed a creature that took 8 billion skill to tame and then subsequently released it, a newbie character with 50 begging and 50 forensic evaluation could walk up and have a rough 50/50 chance of taming that creature because the re-tame value was set to zero. This functionality continued until the introduction 1/24/2000 patch notes which added in the owner list and the increased difficulty for taming creatures.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org