Item ID and NPC (in-town) Vendors

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Item ID and NPC (in-town) Vendors

Post by Kaivan »

I've gone ahead and done some research via the demo and patch notes on the subject and found the following information:

According to a late 97 patch note, it should be possible to use the item identification skill on items being sold by a vendor. The relevant patch note is as follows:
12/16/97 patch notes wrote:Armslore
  • The full range of armslore messages should now be reported.
  • It now reports "brand-new" if an item has not been damaged.
  • This now works on items in a shopkeeper's sell window. So does item identification.
Bolding mine. This corroborates the information provided in this thread as well.

On the demo, if a magic item is sold to a vendor, the item will be labeled as "a magic *whatever*" when attempting to sell or repurchase the item (e.g. a magic ring). It is also possible to attempt to identify items in a shopkeeper's sale window using the skill, and the regular messages regarding item's properties will be displayed. It should be noted that on the demo, the entire message is displayed as one large message, and is viewable without the journal, although some of that may be due to the differences in clients between the demo and UOSA.

Currently, on live UOSA servers, if a player sells or attempts to purchase a magic item from a vendor, the item will only be displayed using the same name as non-magic items (e.g. "magic ring" will display only as "ring" and can only be told apart by its cost). A careful reading of the patch notes and this thread seems to indicate that this fix was never successfully put onto the server. However, when testing whether an item in a vendor's sell gump can be identified, a magic item was successfully identified while in the gump, and by looking at the journal, the properties of the magic item can be seen. It should be noted that if you do not have direct line of sight to the vendor, you can still make a purchase from that vendor, but you cannot identify anything in that vendor's sell gump, and will receive the message "Target cannot be seen."

Given the above information, it does look as if Derrick did indeed change it so you could identify items in gumps, and that this is well evidenced via the patch notes and demo, and that it seems to be working correctly on UOSA at the moment. If you are unable to identify items properly, you might need to submit a bug report with specific details of what you are doing so we can attempt to replicate the issue.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

SighelmofWyrmgard

LOS

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

LOS might be the problem, now that you mention it, and/or range to the vendor: this brings up a separate issue that I didn't feel, hitherto, worth mentioning.

UOSA vendors dance around like they've imbibed 40 double crackoccinos (a crackoccino is an espresso, doped with crack cocaine): vendors on OSI did move around, but not nearly as often, nor would they walk as far when they did walk; additionally, if one "grabbed" a specific vendor by addressing him/her by name, that vendor would stop and face the speaker, and remain fixed for a substantial period of time.

I'll do some checking of my own in-game, and see if I can reassess this issue within a range/LOS context, and update this thread.

Thanks again, Kaivan.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.