All Guard Me

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

All Guard Me

Post by Mens Rea »

I have an issue with the current pet guarding system.

When you make a pet guard you, why do they become freely attackable to everyone?

They are "able to be attacked" not "flagged as criminals" - in reference to the distinction in the Options gump.

I don't think there is a need to reference anything to this to show it is wrong...

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: All Guard Me

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I agree here, they should turn green (if you are guilded) to you, and stay blue to everyone else except for combatants of you (after you command them to attack the person).

If you were non-guilded, they would stay blue, but still be attackable (by you) it was just tricky to know for sure if it was safe to attack. It was alot like perma status is.

I would also like to note that you SHOULD NOT be able to defend yourself with pets if your combatant is blue (though grey to you). Many a pacific tamer got guardwhacked from this mechanic in T2a/early-uor, though I suspect people will convienently "not remember" this one.

I'll find proof of the later when I get the chance.

Pets SHOULD be teleporting though as well.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 0d14a93609
frequently enough to annoy most people.

Rammar
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Rammar »

Mens Rea wrote:I have an issue with the current pet guarding system.
Glad I'm not the only one who thought it was a bit weird.
MatronDeWinter wrote:I agree here, they should turn green (if you are guilded) to you, and stay blue to everyone else except for combatants of you (after you command them to attack the person).

If you were non-guilded, they would stay blue, but still be attackable (by you) it was just tricky to know for sure if it was safe to attack. It was alot like perma status is.
They should be blue/green/orange for sure.

The reputation faq has a lot on this.
http://web.archive.org/web/199910222311 ... /pets.html
If you assign your pet to guard an Innocent or a blue pet and someone attacks the guarded player or pet, you and and your pet will be flagged as Aggressor (to the attacker) when your pet retaliates. Since the attacker will be flagged as a Criminal for attacking the Innocent or blue pet, you cannot be reported if your pet kills the attacker.

When given either an attack or guard command, a pet's controller information is set to the owner who issued the command. If the owner belongs to a guild, the guild id and guild type (regular, chaos, order) is also copied to the pet. Thus a pet given an attack or guard command by a guild member will appear green to fellow guild members and orange to rival guild members.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Rammar ftw

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

bump to see where this leads.

ALso i didn't see where it said anything about pets teleporting.

I think we raised the teleportation argument a few times along time ago but nothing came of it.

I dunno if you are saying they just teleport or they teleport when you say " all come" like they did on osi.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I'm saying that they should be able to teleport to a combatant. Obviously they should not just spam teleport and chase people down, but it should be in the domain of their available spells.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Spells like teleport, curing, healing, etc... was never a part of a npc's spell pool until the AI upgrade that came with the UOR publish.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Faust wrote:Spells like teleport, curing, healing, etc... was never a part of a npc's spell pool until the AI upgrade that came with the UOR publish.
Evidence leads me to believe they teleported in Jan 2000. When was the AI patch anyway?

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I would also like to note that you SHOULD NOT be able to defend yourself with pets if your combatant is blue (though grey to you). Many a pacific tamer got guardwhacked from this mechanic in T2a/early-uor, though I suspect people will convienently "not remember" this one.
^ this

100% accurate.

Basically it rolled out like this:
Tamer is grey, blue player attacks tamer. Tamer says "all kill", targets the blue player.

However since the attacker is still an innocent in the eyes of the tamer's pets, it would cause the pets to be flagged criminal. Since the tamer is responsible for his pet's actions, the tamer would then become a criminal himself.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Renaissance Publish - Apr 28 2000 10:28AM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_196.html wrote: Monster AI
Monsters will “path-find” better and will react to combat situations more intelligently. The net effect of monster AI will be that monsters will be more difficult and challenging to fight. The exact reactions monsters can have will not be detailed. Players will need to learn monsters’ behavior through fighting them and watching their reactions.
This has been posted before by me with additional sources that described in more detail about the AI improvements. Spells like teleport, cure, heal, etc... were mentioned as part of the upgraded AI and so forth. This is also the only known documented AI improvement since '99 - '01.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Then why is there accounts of pets teleporting prior to that patchnote.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Then why is there accounts of pets teleporting prior to that patchnote.
I think things like dragons casting teleport was about as random as dragons casting incognito - which they did.

Surely if dragons casted incognito, they would have it in their "pool" to cast teleport too.

It was sporadic, unplanned and usually ineffective use of the teleport spell - much like the dragon's use of incognito.

I wish I was a demo master I could find so much mint stuff.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Then why is there accounts of pets teleporting prior to that patchnote.

Matron, you have to take into account that these people may not be talking about the actual teleport spell. They may be talking about the fact that pets appeared to "warp" across the screen.

In this thread people talk about "teleporting" bears. Bears don't have magery, so we can rule that out. All the threads I looked at regarding teleporting pets were referring to it as a bug
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

If things warped across the screen , as you say, then that puts into question our current system of speed. Again.

If it was a bug and it worked in era...it should still work in uosa.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

nightshark wrote:Matron, you have to take into account that these people may not be talking about the actual teleport spell. They may be talking about the fact that pets appeared to "warp" across the screen.

In this thread people talk about "teleporting" bears. Bears don't have magery, so we can rule that out. All the threads I looked at regarding teleporting pets were referring to it as a bug
This is my recollection.

Also, that link is kind of supportive of why a few bears may pose a problem for a mage on foot, as the Taming Archive "pvp essay" claimed.