Logging out

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
pm_lamont

Logging out

Post by pm_lamont »

-Option to log anywhere using camping:
In t2a, if you were to secure a camp and log out, you would remain in the game for a period of time, and then actually log out. However, what few people knew, because they never read the instruction manual lol, was that you could instantly log after your camp was secure if you had a bedroll unfurled in your vicinity. The bedroll could be on the ground, you have to unfurl it out of your pack on the ground. After this, you can put it back in your pack, or leave it on the ground. Either way it would log you out instantly IF your camp was secure and a bedroll was unfurled in your vicinity. As I remember it, if you were hit or hit something, it would restart the timer for your securing.

Evidence of this practice is in the t2a manual (long version page 5.4) that I got with my CD, map and other stuff. There is a brief description of logging on page 2.10, but the camping skill on page 5.4 was where I learned this, and subsiquently use it in era all the time. I am including a picture along with this article which I submit as evidence to support my claim. I would find it hard to believe that no one else remembers this...but just the same.

To be clear, once you did this, you could log back into your account, and log in as another character.

I used to use it for logging characters out in weird places and switching between characters, because in era, there were a lot of players like myself who didnt want to run all the way to town to log at an inn. It also made it feasable to "live" on a boat. Just bring kindling on the boat with you, along with your bedroll. It still takes time to log out, but only the time it takes to secure a camp, which ensures you arent in the middle of combat, or getting attacked...which would inhibit your camp from being secure.

Even during the era, it was not well known, and id often find myself with other "newbs" as we call them now, telling them about how they could use a bedroll to log out right away when ur camp is secure etc. Anyway I do hope we can add this to the server, currently provisioners sell bedrolls, but they are completely useless.
t2a manual showing bedrolls involved in camping
t2a manual showing bedrolls involved in camping

Sandro

Re: Logging out

Post by Sandro »

I thought this worked here..
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

I remember it, did not know it didn't work here, never used it.

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

The way it is here, the way I have seen it work, is you set your kindling a blaze, and after an amount of time, regardless of being attacked, your camp is secure. I just tested it in skara...went to that little orc camp, set a kindling...and while I was being killed, my camp became secure. Also I had tested before this thread, and bedrolls do not log you instantly if your camp is secure. It was the case in t2a that if you made a secure camp without a bedroll, you wouldnt insta log, but here you can't insta log either way, and "secure" is just a period of time, not actual secure like it was in era, where it was time + not doing anything/being hit/hitting....A little bit like meditation in fact

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

You double clicked the bedroll, and it gave you the logout gump. The bedroll never actually went on the ground, when you logged back in it was in your backpack.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

May I just say, you know this shard is making tremendous progress when we're to the point of debating the mechanics of CAMPING.

Well done guys.

Atraxi

Post by Atraxi »

Mikel123 wrote:May I just say, you know this shard is making tremendous progress when we're to the point of debating the mechanics of CAMPING.

Well done guys.
:lol:
|| Atx Mini Mall | Atraxi's Great Real Estate ||

IRC: Atraxi on @#bpd +#NEW #SecondAge #C^V

<GreenPlastic> I want Five Guys inside me right now
Millerisfuntoplay wrote:Atraxi pwned me =(

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

My recollection of camping is consistent with the default RunUO implementation as is active on UOSA, which is that you lay the bedroll on the ground, double click it to open it, and once your camp is secure, double click it again to log out instantly.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

pm_lamont

Post by pm_lamont »

Well, when I used camping, it was as the manual described it...you simply had the bedroll, and if your camp was secure, and your bedroll was unfurled in your vicinity, you could log out instantly. It does work as matron described it, but I never clicked the bedroll after the camp was secure because I didnt think I had to. I dont really care about the exact mechanics of the bedroll, I see that it works, and that is good enough as far as Im concerned...

However, something more serious, and more exploitable I discovered as a result of this. Securing the camp was a lot like meditation. Being interrupted by a monster(hit) or hittin something, or moving out of range would restart your secure camp timer. As it is right now, I can have campfires all over the place and a bedroll on the ground, and if im losing, log out instantly while 10 monsters are ripping me a new one! I actually did this! Try it out and youll see. I know that isnt accurate, but it makes for some pvp lols

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A quick investigation of the demo and the scripts gives us this operation for camping:
  • When a camp is first created, 2 seconds after creation of the camp, anyone within 8 tiles (inclusive) of the campfire will be given the message "You feel it would take a few seconds to secure your camp." It should be noted that if two camps are in the same area, players will only be associated with the first camp that is ignited that they are in range of.
  • 30 seconds after receiving the first message, the camp will be secured.
  • At this point, a player may place a bedroll on the ground and unroll it (the bedroll must be on the ground to roll or unroll it).
  • If, while in a secure camp, a player rolls up a bedroll, they will be given the gump that is shown below:
    logout.JPG
    logout.JPG (98.69 KiB) Viewed 4786 times
  • If the player chooses to log out via camping, their bedroll will automatically be placed in their bag and they will be auto-logged out immediately afterwards.
Some other notes:
  • Camps will last for 60 seconds as a typical burning camp.
  • Camps will last an additional 30 seconds as smoldering embers.
  • Camps will last an additional 10 second as burned wood, for a total of 100 seconds from start to finish.
  • Burned wood can be highlighted and moved, but it will automatically delete itself after reaching the end of its life, regardless of where it currently is.
  • Once a camp reaches the last phase, the camp is no longer considered secure and cannot be used to instantly log out anymore.
  • If a player moves outside of the 8 tile inclusive range of the camp, they automatically forfeit any time spent securing the camp. If the player walks back within the 8 tile range, they will begin the process anew.
  • Being hit has no effect on whether a player secures their camp or not.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

A quck review of the default RunUO code indicates an impressive accuracy to the OSI sequence described. The only difference found is the message pop up when using the bedroll. THis is a quick fix and i'll have it in the next publish.

Thanks!!
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Eaglestaff

Post by Eaglestaff »

An idea I had that the camping skill itself may actually have a useful application.

I have not tested this. It would depend on what the conditions are in order for the camping timer to keep ticking. It would depend on if it checks the distance to the original camp that was being secured or if it checks the nearest campfire. Anyways, since the only thing that the camping skill seems to affect is your ability to start a fire and not the speed at which the camp becomes secure its not going to help you log out any faster. However, having the camping skill might allow you to camp while running and thus provide a way to evade attackers. For example: If I am running away from someone I'm not going to be able to secure a camp because I will move out of the 8 tile range before I successfully ignite a new campfire. If I have a higher camping skill I might be able to continuously start new camps as I run thus keeping the camping timer ticking until I can log out of danger. Without the camping skill I would fail to ignite a new campfire before I ran out of the range of the previous camp.

Also, you can eat embers once the fires burnt out. I have no idea if its era but it seems odd. I think it might be only after you cook with the fire... don't remember for sure.

Update:
I just tested both these. The camping thing doesn't work but the eating embers thing does. You have to cook on the fire and then burnt wood and embers become edible - Not only the burnt wood from the fire you cooked on but the burnt wood from other fires.
Last edited by Eaglestaff on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

It's era-accurate to eat the embers :-)