RELEASE the Krakens!!!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Derrick

Re: RELEASE the Krakens!!!

Post by Derrick »

Sandro wrote:Do our Ice Fiends radiate cold damage?
Yes.

Edit: No.
Ooops, Snow and Ice elemental do; The ice fiend currently does not.
"The text in this article or section may be incoherent or very hard to understand, and should be reworded if the intended meaning can be determined."

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

That's the only reference to them radiating damage I've seen. I don't remember it personally, and the individual Stratics pages only show the snow/ice elementals having it, along with the phoenix of course. The Ice Fiend page mentions nothing of it.

Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Ice fiends definitely had radiation aura. That's how they revealed you when you would hide to get that bandage heal off.

The damage "tabs" you back into combat and they walk near you thus making you swing.
[14:17] <UOSAPlayer4056> cr3w guild is a joke. Ran by staff members, multi client pking, this shards a joke and a half.
Blaise wrote:Man, you guys are really stepping up your game now that you're not living in the shadow of cr3w

Mikel123
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mikel123 »

Could only find one reference to that, and it's from 2001:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... b2dd78799e
>As for the "invis, wait, uninvis, bandage" thing, that goes out the window
>when you're talking about highly aggressive, highly intelligent creatures
>which change target every few seconds, or the ones which radiate (ever tried
>vetting when your dragon is fighting an ice-fiend? You auto-defend and it
>re-targets immediately).
A reference in 1999:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.game ... 41f9abec91
>Hi I was wondering what experience if any you guys/gals have had in the Ice
>Dungeon, my fighter (96 dex, 92 str, whatever int) 94 fenc, tactics, walked
>in there and this snow ele ripped me up in like 8 seconds, I was lagged but
>still, he was right at the entrance one tile from it actually, does anyone
>have a rune marked there to anyplace a mage can avoid insane melee damage?
>FADal
>GL

Lest we not forget to mention that the game helps a Snow or Ice elemental
kill you by lagging you to death with constant messages in the corner of
your screen saying "You are taking damage from the cold radiating from the
snow elemental" or whatever the hell it says.
Adds in a mention of the ice elemental but not the ice fiend.

The search function is down right now, I can't find anything else. I'll take your word for it.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Sandro wrote:Do our Ice Fiends radiate cold damage?
Last time I checked they did not, nor frost trolls/elementals etc. I think someone posted something that said it was inaccurate for out timeframe, but I can't remember.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

from page 199 of Derrick's pdf copy of the T2A play guide

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Dagon wrote:from page 199 of Derrick's pdf copy of the T2A play guide
There is actually a patch note somewhere from 98 or 99 saying "krakens are now aggressive", but there are zero mentions of Krakens anywhere on usenet (except for quotes of that patch note) until about 6 months after UO:R. They did not seem to exist in the game until then.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

rouss

Post by rouss »

nightshark wrote:
There is actually a patch note somewhere from 98 or 99 saying "krakens are now aggressive", but there are zero mentions of Krakens anywhere on usenet (except for quotes of that patch note) until about 6 months after UO:R. They did not seem to exist in the game until then.
come on if nobody mentioned that on usenet, this doesnt mean they didnt exist. it just means nobody mentioned it! they were deep sea creatures after all, meaning close to zero human traffic around them.
Chesapeake Nov. 1998 — July 2000
Second Age Feb. 2009 —

Reena Dae

Post by Reena Dae »

rouss wrote:
nightshark wrote:
come on if nobody mentioned that on usenet, this doesnt mean they didnt exist. it just means nobody mentioned it! they were deep sea creatures after all, meaning close to zero human traffic around them.
And just because it is in the manual, that doesn't mean it existed either. We already have archived proof that they didn't exist until 2000. I find it hard to believe that the members of the Fishing Council don't go near deep water at all.
A conversation during character creation:
Me: Do you think I should use my old character name..?
Him: I think you overestimate how famous you are. I doubt anyone remembers you anymore.

Yew

Post by Yew »

Krakens were far from reclusive. Shame 2nd and 3rd both had them, not sure about 5th but I don't know why it would have been excluded.

I don't know the specific stats, but I know they were fairly strong with a decent amount of hp. They were the ideal creature to train combat skills on since you could melee and step back a tile to get away from them when your hp got low (they couldn't leave the water).

I also saw these in the water around Yew and the Shame area.

I remember both the passive and the agreesive versions, although either way they were about the same since they could only hit you if you were right on the edge of the water.

Generic Player

Post by Generic Player »

Could we stop going around in circles about this? We know all about krakens from shame/wind, those were UO:R. The question is whether or not they actually spawned anywhere ever during t2a era.

Faust

Post by Faust »

We know "if they existed" that they didn't spawn in the old world and would have only spawned in the t2a map. However, the current evidence shows that there was no spawn for the creature up until around UOR for sure. Unless someone finds some concrete sources to contradict the other evidence there is no need to discuss it beyond that.

Dagon

Post by Dagon »

Faust wrote:Unless someone finds some concrete sources to contradict the other evidence there is no need to discuss it beyond that.
1998 patch note FTW. why would they become aggressive if they weren't in the game.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I never saw a single kraken in uo until they implemented the "fish nets" in UO:R.

There were the walking tentacle things in t2a and the ones that stand still in normal lands but there were no krakens. I know this because it was sucha big deal when they did start spawning...people were in a hurry to make more fishermen to take advantage of it.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Dagon wrote:
Faust wrote:Unless someone finds some concrete sources to contradict the other evidence there is no need to discuss it beyond that.
1998 patch note FTW. why would they become aggressive if they weren't in the game.
and that patch note is the ONLY mention of krakens in the entire of usenet before august 2000. then suddenly there's 50 posts in a month about krakens. people talk about swamp tentacles, but no mention of krakens. i think krakens are a little more interesting than swamp tentacles.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE