Runebooks will not be blessed

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Runebooks will not be blessed

Post by Hoots »

Rollercouli wrote:Runebooks were never meant to be carried around, secure them in your house for guildies/friends/your cat.
considering OSI blessed them it is very apparent that they were indeed meant to be carried around..

Dont bless them.. fine, if you take it to a dungeon you are asking to lose it... But why make them stealable.

Stealing ruin books is nothing more than 100% griefing. Like a thief needs a ruin book marked to 16 tailor or tinker locations... it's pure griefing, all it does make players waste another hour of time and regs marking their books again.

It isnt like it provides any value to the thiefs who take them...

Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Wise »

Hoots wrote:
Rollercouli wrote:Runebooks were never meant to be carried around, secure them in your house for guildies/friends/your cat.
considering OSI blessed them it is very apparent that they were indeed meant to be carried around..

Dont bless them.. fine, if you take it to a dungeon you are asking to lose it... But why make them stealable.

Stealing ruin books is nothing more than 100% griefing. Like a thief needs a ruin book marked to 16 tailor or tinker locations... it's pure griefing, all it does make players waste another hour of time and regs marking their books again.

It isnt like it provides any value to the thiefs who take them...
Derrick wrote:They were added in early 2000 just prior to the great britainia cleanup for the purpose of reducing item count on the shards

OSI never intended to have them blessed, but being such a popular item, and to reduce total item count because of all the rune library's, and locked down books everywhere they made them blessed, UOSA does not have the player base that OSI did therefor we can stay true to the original intent of that period.

also while it can be considered griefing, that same thief could operate a vendor where he re-sells the runebooks for profit, this makes sense, but your right that PKs and Thiefs will grief, but then again dont put all your secret macro spots in the rune book you intend to keep on your person
Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Hoots wrote:considering OSI blessed them it is very apparent that they were indeed meant to be carried around..
They were not blessed in the T2A era.

Redbeard72

Post by Redbeard72 »

Derrick wrote:They were not blessed in the T2A era.
I remember having a pouch full of runes all organized in rows. i used a pouch cause they where small and took up less pixel room.

Best Shard Ever !
Derrick wrote:

The second scenario is not extremely likely, but it is more likely now than it was previously.

BlackFoot
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by BlackFoot »

banker box full or rows of runes :D
<IronfistMax> tell me where you are in game, and ill come thank you personally
Mad_Max: blackfoot you sent everyone to a slaughter
<Derrick> We will not negotiate with terrorists.
UOSA Society of Adventure and History [UoH]

StDrahcir

Post by StDrahcir »

Oh man I remember those days. I had a backpack in my bank dedicated to nothing but runes that I had sorted alphabetically.
Tanque / Chinchilla (crafter) / St Drahcir - (ingame characters)

Deja vu

Post by Deja vu »

I remember stealing rune books on OSI servers and I quit about the same time UO-R came out.

egamretsam

Post by egamretsam »

BlackFoot wrote:t2a era had a bug where you would open your bank box with the runebook in it, use your runebook, and it would stay open on your screen and useable no matter if you closed your bank.
BlackFoot, great memory! I remember fondly using that bug because runebooks were NOT blessed. I can confirm that this bug did indeed exist.

Wick

Post by Wick »

Holy shit.. i forgot about that.. i remember now.. Making sure my bank never closed.

I believe at one point you could recall off just runes in the bank

Cheapsuit

Post by Cheapsuit »

I'm against the whole existence of a runebook, not having them forces more people to actually travel, and this causes more exploring and interaction in the game, which also causes more risk at getting to that favorite dungeon in one piece. ;)

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Cheapsuit wrote:I'm against the whole existence of a runebook, not having them forces more people to actually travel, and this causes more exploring and interaction in the game, which also causes more risk at getting to that favorite dungeon in one piece. ;)
They would still have runes ;-)

The best change, in my opinion, was the siege server change of removing recall. Thus only high level magic users could recall and to do so not only allowed people to follow but it was slower to cast and used 40 mana.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock

anp

Post by anp »

Well if anything can you make there a certain amount of trophy points to bless them like 500 or 1000?

Purge

Post by Purge »

If you're worried about a thief stealing it, carry it around in your hands

Or stash em in your bank/house

Hoots
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hoots »

Purge wrote:If you're worried about a thief stealing it, carry it around in your hands

Or stash em in your bank/house
I do carry it in my hand and would never leave it in a top bag..

Its not the point of them being stealable...Its the point of them being greif magnets...

If RBs cost 5k to make then i can see them being big thief targets... They dont, they take 300 gold or so to make. And then people put hours into filling them and then they get grief stolen... (FYI this hasnt happened to me but i know 2 people it has to)

Most thiefs dont resell the books (exlcuding chum).... not to mention Chum would probably offer to sell you your book back since in my opinion he was more of RP'ing the griefing...

Id gladly hand a thief 500-1k for a book he stole from me that i had put time into filling.. But i doubt you'd ever get that chance. They just seem to be grief targets and at that the worst kind... it isnt the value of the book you are losing... its the value of the time you put into making it. 99% of the time that value cant be resold or reused (exculding mining spots or similar).. hence griefing..

Its not a big deal to me as i carry it in hand at all times but there is nothing worse than someone stealing your time for no reason other than to just do it.

Ronk
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Ronk »

Hoots wrote:
Purge wrote: Its not a big deal to me as i carry it in hand at all times but there is nothing worse than someone stealing your time for no reason other than to just do it.
Oooh, thats gonna kill ya when you crash and it falls to the ground ;-)

I don't believe runebooks should be blessed. Because when you get blessed runebooks you get...

- People with a complete rune library in their bag. Instant travel to anywhere with no risk sucks.
- Destroys the need for most rune libraries.
- Makes the game even easier on mages and allows people to be lazy. I hate rewarding lazy.

Honestly, with the population at what it is a thief shouldn't even be a problem. If you are still banking at Britain AND you have the ability to recall...you are a fool and deserve it getting stolen.
------------------
The Bloodrock Orcs - http://www.bloodrock.org
Historic Bloodrock