AFK Rare Gathering Not Era-Accurate

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: AFK Rare Gathering Not Era-Accurate

Post by Light Shade »

Let's not let the Topic De-Railers Muck up this issue without ever even addressing the Era Accuracy of things. That's too easy of a win for them.

Let's stick on topic, please.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

dhuffman

Post by dhuffman »

I agree with Light Shade on this one. I do hunt rares from time to time and get pretty excited when I find one. AFK rare gathering kind of defeats the purpose, at least to me. Don’t get me wrong, I afk skills but that’s it. There's not that many rares out there so i don't think it's fair for the ones who do hunt them without afking. As far as it being bannable or illegal isn't my call.

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Hopefully something will be done about the rash epidemic of AFK everything on this server. I look forward to players getting back to actually playing the game and interacting in this MMORPG...

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Light Shade wrote:Hopefully something will be done about the rash epidemic of AFK everything on this server. I look forward to players getting back to actually playing the game and interacting in this MMORPG...
Sadly, as much as I love this shard, I'm fairly confident Derrick will never put the lock-down on the vast majority of how things work, and most importantly, have worked, here. The goal of the shard isn't 'the greater good for the players' it is strictly an attempt at recreating mechanical accuracy to a chosen time.

When it comes down to controlling the clients, which is what is required to really curb the AFK plague, we should all be able to accept that it's just not going to happen......here.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

UO: Assist Change Log

UOAssist.exe 1.5.9.0 - Apr 11, 2002
  • The information on the news/update page is compressed better which should help modem users load it a little bit faster and saves bandwidth overall.
  • Carpentry menus function differently than other menus and this causes UOAssist macros to fail most of the time with them. A change has been made to allow UOAssist to work correctly with them.
  • There is now a 'pickup agent'. It allows you to set a container that UOAssist will drop items into that are picked up using the pickup reagent/item feature. This has actually been coded for a long time but OSI wouldn't allow it until now.
So "Pickup Agent" or "Scavenger Agent" wasn't implemented until 2002? If so, AFK Rare Gatherers should not be able to scavenge Rares with their AFK Rare Bot Macros.

UOAssist.exe 1.5.8.7 - Dec 24, 2001
  • Added Organizer agent. Some tips on using it are here. NOTE: - The organizer agent does NOT look at the color or quality of items. So even if the organizer agent lists the type as 'exceptional valorite gloves' as the type ALL plate gloves will get moved when activated.
AFK Rare Gatherers should not be able to organize rares into their bank boxes after AFK Gathering them. AFK Reagent/Scrolls/etcc Buyers should also not be able to do this.

Source: http://www.tugsoft.com/UOAssist/Updates.aspx

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Continuing to bump this thread will not get this handled any more quickly. We know about this, and we'll be dealing with it when time allows.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Naljier

Post by Naljier »

Kaivan wrote:Continuing to bump this thread will not get this handled any more quickly. We know about this, and we'll be dealing with it when time allows.
amen

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

Light Shade wrote:UO: Assist Change Log

UOAssist.exe 1.5.9.0 - Apr 11, 2002
  • The information on the news/update page is compressed better which should help modem users load it a little bit faster and saves bandwidth overall.
  • Carpentry menus function differently than other menus and this causes UOAssist macros to fail most of the time with them. A change has been made to allow UOAssist to work correctly with them.
  • There is now a 'pickup agent'. It allows you to set a container that UOAssist will drop items into that are picked up using the pickup reagent/item feature. This has actually been coded for a long time but OSI wouldn't allow it until now.
So "Pickup Agent" or "Scavenger Agent" wasn't implemented until 2002? If so, AFK Rare Gatherers should not be able to scavenge Rares with their AFK Rare Bot Macros.

UOAssist.exe 1.5.8.7 - Dec 24, 2001
  • Added Organizer agent. Some tips on using it are here. NOTE: - The organizer agent does NOT look at the color or quality of items. So even if the organizer agent lists the type as 'exceptional valorite gloves' as the type ALL plate gloves will get moved when activated.
AFK Rare Gatherers should not be able to organize rares into their bank boxes after AFK Gathering them. AFK Reagent/Scrolls/etcc Buyers should also not be able to do this.

Source: http://www.tugsoft.com/UOAssist/Updates.aspx
This is useful info, I think it should be posted in my "elephant" thread. These abilities are damaging to this shard and inaccurate, how we deal with them is the question.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Why are you so butthurt?
You dont even play......

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

LudKrud wrote:Why are you so butthurt?
You dont even play......
Really?

First off, I do play here.

Second, I have contributed my fair share to this shard in the past and will continue to do so where I think I can. I would love to play a UO shard DAILY that is as accurate as possible... UOSA used to be that for me, and if these AFK issues can be handled then it will continue to be. I know others are in the same boat as myself.

You don't have to login everyday to strive for further accuracy here. Back on topic now.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The topic of inaccurate functions through Razor has been discussed in the past, and we have a necessary compromise, given the requirements that Derrick has laid out. Until Derrick changes his position (assuming it ever happens), there is nothing meaningful that can be discussed.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

xenoglyph

Post by xenoglyph »

Light Shade wrote:Hopefully something will be done about the rash epidemic of AFK everything on this server. I look forward to players getting back to actually playing the game and interacting in this MMORPG...
Crying about AFK stuff won't change anything. It's impossible at this point to fix it. The cat's out of the bag. What can UOSA do? Force us all to use a custom client? It will be hacked. An arms race like that is one that UOSA can't afford. It would take a ton of time to create a secure client, time that would be wasted as soon as somebody like me unpacked it and reversed it.

So without that option, what are they going to do? Hire 50 GMs to babysit people and make sure nobody automates?

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

xenoglyph wrote:time that would be wasted as soon as somebody like me unpacked it and reversed it.
Well, I know the UOSA crew is working on things, so i'm not responding because I want more attention to this issue...

However, you basically just said..."don't bother making it so people have to actually play the game because i'll find a way to cheat."

This should never be a reason for NOT making the shard better.

Ever.

If you want to cheat a free game that Derrick gives you, then that is up to you. Your statement is perhaps one of the most pathetic statements i've ever read on these forums. Poor form. :(

LeonZA

Post by LeonZA »

A few years back I played on a local shard that had a solution for AFKers.
Every random 1 to 5 hours(Can't exactly remember the timespan) a CAPTCHA image gump would appear on the client and you had to fill in a text box and press submit. I think you had like 10 minutes to fill it in and had about 5 retries if you failed to type it in correctly. If the 10 mins passed without entering in anything correctly you would get jailed for a few hours.
Usually you got nice global bold red notifications of people who got jailed.
It worked really nice :)

LudKrud

Post by LudKrud »

Except then you are also jailing poeple AFK macroing skills or counts also.......