Britain Swamp Housing

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Stranger

Britain Swamp Housing

Post by Stranger »

I've brought this up before I cant believe no one mentions this, but never during any era of UO (At least on the catskills and chessapeake shards) from t2a to current do I remember any housing being able to be placed in the britain swamps. The trinsic swamps yes but not britain.
[01:12:32] <Nevermore> Stranger you are the reason I hate christmas
[01:12:36] <Nevermore> You specifically
[01:12:44] <Nevermore> Every year? Christmas sucks. Because of Stranger

Halbu

Re: Britain Swamp Housing

Post by Halbu »

yea LS never had houses on it, mostly just newbies hunting lizardmen.

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Halbu wrote:yea LS never had houses on it, mostly just newbies hunting lizardmen.
You would thinke veryone would remember this and it would be easily researchable.
After the grandfathered houses fall shouldnt be anymore houses placed there. Also you are right. This area was VERY heavily spawned. It had so many bazillion lizardmen and aligators there I hated having to run through it.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

I remember very little from OSI, which is why it's nice that so many of you do, but one of the few things I actually do remember is running through Brit Swamp a lot. Definitely can't picture doing that with houses there like it is here... it was certainly empty. And yes, very heavy spawn... it was a fun challenge running through there without getting hit. Hopefully somebody can provide some proper evidence.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Jill Stihl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Jill Stihl »

Screenshot apparently showing no housing - http://www.aschulze.net/ultima/guide/br ... rk_bog.htm Looks post T2A but I can't imagine housing having been deleted if it had been allowed there previously.

I do have a vague memory of having to make a run for it before meeting some housing that could be hidden next to (with low hiding skill) from my Europa days, fwiw.

Kelektra
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kelektra »

You are correct. There was never housing in the Brit Swamps during these eras. You were only able to place small on the very outskirts/shoreline areas and believe it or not those houses actually sold for alot of cash (but then again any house sold for alot of cash)
Shards Only T-Map Validation System viewtopic.php?f=33&t=24446

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While it is difficult to tell the exact date of that screen shot, it is definitely a post-T2A screen shot, due to the ethereal mount, and the mention of bog things and bogling monsters which were introduced during late UOR. Beyond that, this assessment is absolutely correct; houses should not exist in the Bog of Desolation, as they did not exist there on OSI servers. We can get an idea that such restrictions existed from the following newsgroup posts:
July 2000 newsgroup wrote:> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000 20:35:59 GMT, "Travail" <trav...@twilson.com> wrote:

> >IMO, they've wasted
> >a lot of land that could have been used for housing that's off limits
> >becasue of guard zones, dungeon areas, etc.

> >--Travail
> >(Great Lakes)

> How about all the empty swamp land. Swamp without even a bird
> or snake much less a monster. Cant place a house or hunt there.
> What good is it?

> Why not clear the graphics and allow housing? That would open
> up a lot of land for people to place that is not being used by anyone
> as it is now.

> Just MHO,

> Ice,
While this doesn't specify the swamp land that isn't covered, we can be sure that it does not include the Trinsic swamps, due to the following story which includes a T2A era screen shot of a house in the swamps. Beyond that, it is reasonable to conclude that houses did not exist in the Bog.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

I have not done any research to back up this statement, but I also remember there not being houses there...and the spawn was certainly much crazier than it is here.
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Stranger

Post by Stranger »

Kelektra wrote:You are correct. There was never housing in the Brit Swamps during these eras. You were only able to place small on the very outskirts/shoreline areas and believe it or not those houses actually sold for alot of cash (but then again any house sold for alot of cash)
Yeah, every house was worth a ton. My first house was shared with a friend, it was a small house on ocllo, it took us over a year of idocing to get that house. And we had to fight off another guild. The few people I knew with small houses were (before unsecured items would decay in houses) literally sharing smalls with up to 5 players.

Pac

Post by Pac »

No grandfathering. All houses placed in the Britain swamp need to be deleted, or else the staff can admit that era accuracy is just a joke that they don't really care about.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

Pac wrote:No grandfathering. All houses placed in the Britain swamp need to be deleted, or else the staff can admit that era accuracy is just a joke that they don't really care about.

You can't just uplift someone's hard work and leave them homeless for the sake of accuracy.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Robbbb wrote:
Pac wrote:No grandfathering. All houses placed in the Britain swamp need to be deleted, or else the staff can admit that era accuracy is just a joke that they don't really care about.

You can't just uplift someone's hard work and leave them homeless for the sake of accuracy.
Yes you can. They should have never been built there in the first place.

They need to be deleted.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

An inaccurate mechanic does not imply that we should go and forcibly change the results from the inaccurate mechanic before it was corrected. We will not be deleting any houses in the area.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

Eminent Domain.

Just buy them out for way more than they're worth and the ones who refuse get bulldozed (deleted) :P

It would be a fun warzone with few trees and lots of spawn. :)
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Pac

Post by Pac »

Kaivan wrote:An inaccurate mechanic does not imply that we should go and forcibly change the results from the inaccurate mechanic before it was corrected. We will not be deleting any houses in the area.
The Shard screwed up. This is YOUR mess but you need to clean it up.

The FACT remains that these houses should have NEVER existed and by the rules of this shard they MUST be deleted.