Monster Pathfinding When Banned

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Monster Pathfinding When Banned

Post by Light Shade »

I may be wrong about the Era, but when a Monster was banned from your home, didn't it keep rubber-banding as it tried to walk directly towards you? On this shard I never see this happen. The monsters seem to pathfind around the steps. I do not recall it working like that at all.

Anyone remember this?

-L/S
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

azheman
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Monster Pathfinding When Banned

Post by azheman »

I do recall it acting as you stated. But I don't remember specifically what era.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Creatures should not be pathfinding at all on this shard. The AI movement was completely linear in direction going from Point A to Point B on OSI production shards, and immediately hitting a blocked state would render the creature unmovable until it started wondering or a new linear path was processed during the blocked state. There has never been one single RunUO shard that has ever existed to use the proper movement algorithm that replicated the same one that OSI used. Would be nice to finally see it on UOSA making it the first shard to accomplish this mechanic.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Yeah, I remember them teleporting straight to the right-most tile of the stairs.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Hey I got a suggestion, why dont you all just play Pong if you like point A point B so much?
Getting old much XD
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Faust

Post by Faust »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Hey I got a suggestion, why dont you all just play Pong if you like point A point B so much?
Getting old much XD
The pathfinding here is pretty stupid. If we are going to have semi-pathfinding just go all the way or the other... not this half mixture that makes the mobs look like they have down syndrome being unable to decide if they want to move forward or backwards. The shard is about era accuracy and this is one of the major underlining issues when it comes to AI and NPCs sitting directly next to the spawn system.

LKP

Post by LKP »

I agree with the OP. Monsters would repeatedly attempt to enter the house. When they tried to move onto the steps, they would be moved directly beneath the house sign. They would of course try to move onto the steps again, and get thrown back under the house sign. This happened in all eras I played in, T2A notwithstanding.

Other aspects of the AI, I'm less clear on. I do remember the pathfinding being bad, but I don't remember monsters attacking you when they had no line of sight. As I recall, they shouldn't be attacking players that have been inside a house for more than 2 minutes where the monster can't see them.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Creatures will only attack when they obtain line of sight to a mobile they are tryign to seek. However, they can 'seek' a mobile without obtaining line of sight no problem which is era accurate to our time period.

so.you.want.to.be...

Post by so.you.want.to.be... »

I remember the banned monsters 'Rubberbanding' on the doorstep and ending up under the sign as well.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

Is this a result (the banning part at least) of a recent patch?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32781
Derrick wrote:
  • Banned Mobiles no longer moved to ban-location when entering a house, they will just bounce off the steps.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

LKP

Post by LKP »

Faust wrote:Creatures will only attack when they obtain line of sight to a mobile they are tryign to seek. However, they can 'seek' a mobile without obtaining line of sight no problem which is era accurate to our time period.
Ah, good call. I forgot about the whole seeking thing. I remember the T2A manual even tells you what monsters seek... interesting. Thanks for reminding me of that.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

aye during t2a putting 3 boxes down on the floor in a straight line, the monster would be unable to pathfind around them if you stood opposite the middle box. cant remember if it just stood still or pathfinded left/right, but it would never make it around the boxes.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Faust

Post by Faust »

Creatures should always be facing one direction when pathfinding and that direction is whatever direction their combatant/seeker is in on the map.

There are two different type of impassable objects that would render them to not move.

N, S, E, W - Would take 3 objects on tiles to block.
NW, NE, SW, SE - Would only take 2 objects on tiles to block.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

nightshark wrote:aye during t2a putting 3 boxes down on the floor in a straight line, the monster would be unable to pathfind around them if you stood opposite the middle box. cant remember if it just stood still or pathfinded left/right, but it would never make it around the boxes.
Are you suggesting creatures did not break furniture in era?
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

Faust

Post by Faust »

Pirul wrote:Are you suggesting creatures did not break furniture in era?
Creatures did not break furniture for the later half of the era but they did during this shard's target date.
Dec 21 Publish Dec 22 1999 3:06PM CST wrote: Monsters will no longer destroy objects that block their path. This is a temporary change and will be changed back.
The feature was readded somewhere around the UOR publish.