Speed on Terathan Avengers and Balrons is all wrong

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Magua

Re: Speed on Terathan Avengers and Balrons is all wrong

Post by Magua »

Add me to the list of Terrathan Avengers walking ridiculously fast. I played OSI from 97-2006 and they were NEVER this fast. They literally tele-walk (as I have seen the term thrown around here) onto you making it impossible to farm there successfully. While we're on the discussion, during SecondAge on OSI the Terrathans dropped a ridiculous amount of good magic weapons, Warriors in particular (as odd as that sounds, yes, Warrirors were the best way to farm magic weps on OSI at that time). Terrathan Keep was always packed with people farming for weapons back then.

Arec Bardwin

Post by Arec Bardwin »

I played on OSI servers from 1997 to 2000 and I do not remember ANYTHING in the game "tele-walking". Balrons did walk/run fast but I was still able to run away, even on foot, using corners and doorways. I'd guess that they used to run at the same speed as an unmounted player.

Bricting

Post by Bricting »

i like how this thread just died back then. did anything get resolved?

"On the surface it seems like lack of evidence for the insanely fast movement is the best argument against it. But on the other hand at some point it was changed to its current state anyway, despite a seemingly total lack of evidence supporting it."

I think this was a great point. To be honest, you have plenty of people saying these speeds are incorrect. The speed needs a tweek.. The fact, people say ping was an issue with how well you could possibly escape faster mobs should be an obvious strong point already. We arnt on dial up or DSL any more... Getting away shouldnt be an issue, unless like stated. You walk into shit, fail to run constantly, and or allow the mob to run up/down/left/right while you move diagonally.

If you think things tele walked back in the day of shit internet and AOL then you really must not be giving this issue proper attention. The first time I seen tele walk on this shard. I personally thought i was lagging my ass off. Pretty confusing if you ask me.

EDIT: The only thing i can possibly think of. Is the speeds may be accurate, it is that the server isnt feeding enough info about the mobs location to our client creating the problem of telewalking. Maybe if the movement was smooth visually, the speed would still seem fast. Just not abrupt and hopeless seeming.

Say when a silverserpent/avenger any of these things aggro on you and its first step is 3/4 squares. You've lost all ability to react. When the mob telewalks corners of trees or any walls/objects, you end up with not being able to evaluate how deterred the mob is, and end up with the lack of senses you need to escape the mob better. Missing the squares the mob actually walks, will ruin spatial awareness and aiming for more small or large obstacles for that mob to get caught up on. If your in the open one person says he makes a dead sprint and sets up. This may be because we cant click on the damn thing ;\ lolol Who knows..

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

Every monster is smarter, faster and more responsive here. AI peppyness was absolute crap until UOR as game difficulty dropped and servers improved, faster monsters just stand out more to people. It's all just a guess anyway, patch notes are not comparable to developer notes which OSI never provided. It's entirely possible this was added in the end of T2A but not explicitly mentioned.

Captain Sparkles
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Captain Sparkles »

I can say since I played from 97 shortly into UOR that mobs were never that fast, I was a foot person as mounts barely moved faster on my connection back then and I can whole-heartedly say that I never had an issue on foot in pvm even with my small town dial-up pausing every 2-3 tiles for a moment before I could move further. The best guess I can have as to why mob speed would be this way in UO:SA is to recreate the Feel of playing on dial-up, but fails in that although on dial-up a balron could make a good run at keeping up with you, you had the pauses giving you plenty of time to "prep" pull out healthbars, begin casting a spell what have you. Here a balron is still escapable on foot, however you no longer have any pauses to plan your path or do anything.