*- Chat System -*

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Rapunzel

*- Chat System -*

Post by Rapunzel »

As our player base increases to grow, and having just come back to the server after a long break, I am still curious as to why there is no in game chat system. First off, I am aware of the following...

1. In-game private messaging did not exist during the T2A period

2. There are 3rd party programs allowing for chat

3. People can talk to each other simply by meeting in game

The reason I am suggesting we implement an in game private messaging system is that it will make it much easier, and more efficient for people to contact other players while both interacting with the server. This way players can contact each other fast, to chat about commerce, PvP, PvM, or anything else.

Overall, it will make in game interaction much more enjoyable, for all players whether they are veterans or complete newbs. What do you guys think?
-Rapunzel-

Khronus

Re: *- Chat System -*

Post by Khronus »

i think private message would be nice.
Visit Khronus Mall 2 Screens North From Brit Moongate!!!

DemonArkanis

Post by DemonArkanis »

im a fan of private messaging

Dupre[THG]

Post by Dupre[THG] »

at this size PM should be the way to go, i figure people can put folks on friends list or ignore them :D even Guildwars has PM
Lord Dupre , Leader Of The Guard
Lord Of Trinsic.

Keathus

Post by Keathus »

During most if not all of the Ultima Online Era, people depended on messaging programs such as ICQ, MSN, AOL, yahoo ect. We now have a IRC Channel that players can go into and talk amongest each other. As the server grows we plan on implementing a trade channel into our irc. We also have the messageboard, so we actually have a good amount of ways for players to communicate with each other.

We are also willing to look into other ways to help our playerbase interact with each other. If you have any suggestions without in-game modications I will be more than happy to look into them, possibly intergrate it into our community.

We do not plan on implementing a chat system into the server, we are trying to keep the server as close to T2A as possible.
Lord Keathus
Second Age Staff
Forum Administrator

Deano

Post by Deano »

Rapunzel wrote: 1. In-game private messaging did not exist during the T2A period
Incorrect. There was a chat system accessible by selecting chat on your paper doll. Got it here in my T2A playguide.

Long distance communication was possible between players via those communication crystals.

I hope both features are added. The chat/conference feature for general communication, crystals for messaging between players.

In any case chat is apart of the interface. There is no point bringing the interface backwards and decreasing accessibility for the sake of keeping it true to the era. This is the difference between accuracy and authenticity.

Crystals and chat channels don't remove the feeling of a virtual world (no-one used chat anyway) and the crystals make the world feel large because you don't sit there chatting across the whole world.
Deano

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Deano wrote:There was a chat system accessible by selecting chat on your paper doll. Got it here in my T2A playguide.

Long distance communication was possible between players via those communication crystals.
Both of those systems do work. The internal chat system is extremely flaky though

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I understand on how you would like to keep the server as accurate to the T2a era as possible, and I respect that, but honestly, who would reject playing here simply because there is an in game private messaging system?

You figure out of 50-60 people, only 10 or so are in irc. It would work, but frankly, once we grow, I doubt the majority of users will use irc every time they log in, or daily.
-Rapunzel-

Deano

Post by Deano »

Rapunzel wrote:I understand on how you would like to keep the server as accurate to the T2a era as possible, and I respect that, but honestly, who would reject playing here simply because there is an in game private messaging system?

You figure out of 50-60 people, only 10 or so are in irc. It would work, but frankly, once we grow, I doubt the majority of users will use irc every time they log in, or daily.
I'm all for it. Especially since it is in era anyway. I never use other programs while gaming. If it was necessary, it'd be provided by the game.
Deano

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Perhaps a poll should be taken?
-Rapunzel-

skyfire

Post by skyfire »

There are message boards at the banks :)
c:\dos
c:\dos\run
run\dos\run

ecetres
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by ecetres »

Keathus wrote:

We are also willing to look into other ways to help our playerbase interact with each other. If you have any suggestions without in-game modications I will be more than happy to look into them, possibly intergrate it into our community.

Perhaps then if the player base is looking for an effective way to communicate, we might consider a program like teamspeak. Any one can host it, or it can be hosted, and you can do several channels, I.E. one for each guild, one for pvm, pvp, commerce etc. I havent really used it much, but using it in counter strike, and swg it seemed to be effective.
Guerrilla wrote:
i know i cry alot.... its only because i suck, and I'm going to uninstall UO as you read this

Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

I have had to as a last resort boot up a vent server from my place. Pretty much it is just for my irl buddies... but if you are gonna use one, I would use vent. It is much better.
-Rapunzel-

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Our official Vent server is hosted by CharacterPlanet.com
Ventrilo Server Info

I don't use vent so I don't know much about it, but I believe it currently supports 100 users