Forced Spawn, Does it exist in era?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
TI_Smithy

Forced Spawn, Does it exist in era?

Post by TI_Smithy »

During UOR it was possible to force spawn at different locations. Placing a box at building X in such a way would result in 225 stone stretched hides appearing in the box. Is this a mechanic of UOR or was it simply unknown during this era?

BenBrawl
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Forced Spawn, Does it exist in era?

Post by BenBrawl »

I remember this, but forget the time period.

Also wasnt this the way statues were obtained? Then when you get the statue where you wanted it, just chop the box and bam a unmoveable statue!
Facebook.com/AbsoluteCustomsLLC

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

We don't have any information that tells us whether these items could be created during T2A, but we are aware of the fact that they could be created during UOR.

The method involved placing a magic locked box within some specific region of the game like a miner's shop (for the stretched hides), or in a masonry region (for chisels and statues), and waiting for some respawn period. The result would be one of these non-movable items spawning inside the box, which had a weight of 255 (the special flag weight for an item that couldn't be moved). If the box was ever destroyed, the item would be left on the ground, and couldn't be moved because of the special flag associated with it, which is what many of those accounts refer to.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

What about forcing Tarot Cards to spawn by stealing all the books out of a particular bookcase just prior to server restart? ;)
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

There is nothing except anecdotal information to suggest that tarot cards could be spawned by emptying a container just before the last server save. However, for stretched hides and statues, we have information to suggest that this may have been possible at some point in time, although the exact reason is unknown to us.

Specifically, we have code from a demo script called fillcontainer that involves re-filling containers in certain regions with this script attached to them. Some examples include spawning statues, sledge hammers, ingots, and other items inside boxes that were located within the "artisanguild" region (this is the exact name in the scripts). Another is the stretched hide, shovels, and pickaxes which can be found spawning inside boxes located within the "mine" region. Of course, the notable reason why these didn't spawn normally was because of the fact that no naturally occurring boxes existed within any of these regions, making it impossible to acquire these items. However, at some point, it became possible to forcibly spawn these items inside your own containers, although the mechanism for why this occurred is unknown to us.

In any event, we have strong information showing that these items could be created, and that they even had supporting code to create them, which is something that we do not have regarding tarot cards.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Skrypt

Post by Skrypt »

I used to obtain stretched hides in one of the shops in Britain using the forced spawn method. I am interested in knowing an update on this issue.

Has anyone determined whether this belonged in the T2A era?

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

I remember buying boxes with bust statues in them that you could break in your house and it would be static. This was RIGHT before UOR.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

Here's the askchopper post detailing this, but it was posted to the site in 2002

http://test.askchopper.com/cgi-bin/publ ... rum6806280

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

I never heard of this before. Does it work right now? It couldnt be legal here even if proven era accurate could it?
Lankgord: Hello. I'm New To The Server. Any Drama Going On Lately?

[20:38] <newYorK>i love how franz is in game robbing me while im reading his comic
[20:38] <newYorK> priceless

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Jakob wrote:I never heard of this before. Does it work right now? It couldnt be legal here even if proven era accurate could it?
Anything era accurate goes in the shard unless it is deemed gamebreaking by staff (ie: duping)
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Hydroxide
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hydroxide »

bbbbump?

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »