deficit of reagents

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Inoyton

Re: deficit of reagents

Post by Inoyton »

However, will any red names appear here?

Any blah-blah-blah is useless if admin says "no".

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

To address the initial post: We see no compelling reason to change the rules regarding AFK reagent purchasing, nor is changing the mechanics an option, because of the conflict with our stated goals.

Expanding on the AFK reagent purchasing point, several recent threads have been brought up attempting to address this issue. In each circumstance, I have checked vendors throughout the world, and found that the vendors do indeed have reagents on them. This makes the idea of a lack of reagents, specifically as a result of AFK purchasing, a silly notion. On top of that, if we think of AFK reagent purchasing as the major issue, then logically speaking, if you were to wait out a vendor restock timer, and catch it before another player, these reagents would be plentiful on those vendors. Of course, more often than not, these reagents are available at relatively low numbers, typically less than 100 or so. Finally, when we consider the effects of the vendor restock changes, it should come as no surprise that it is more difficult to acquire reagents than it was before. This is exactly the issue that was faced during T2A and much of UOR, and the fact that it exists here on UOSA is a testament to the design of that system.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

kaivan said:
the fact that it exists here on UOSA is a testament to the design of that system.
old testament
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

Pac

Post by Pac »

Kaivan wrote:To address the initial post: We see no compelling reason to change the rules regarding AFK reagent purchasing, nor is changing the mechanics an option, because of the conflict with our stated goals.
Except your stated goal is to be T2A era accurate, and AFK macroing was not allowed in T2A.

If anything the rules regarding AFK macroing (since they are already NEA) should be tightened to ONLY allow the AFK macroing of skills and not include the farming of materials necessary to gain said skills.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Our stated goal is to be mechanically accurate to the T2A era.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

RaveGreen
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by RaveGreen »

Just thought I'd add another (not necessarily different) "new person" view.

I am now to the point that I can buy in bulk (most of the time) from player vendors. This is because of my starting character choice (bard) and the assistance of some very nice and helpful people within the game.

BUT...

Just last night, the usual vendor I would buy in bulk from was sold out for what I needed, so I did the recall thing looking to buy my own and while I was able to find some, not enough to do what I wanted... it was a kind of painful and annoying experience; a couple times being in the process of buying and an afk-buyer coming in, spamming a macro and getting everything.

Honestly, I don't really care about the afk-buying because I'm kind of settled in now, but as a newbie I could see how this would be very aggravating!

Something suggested in this thread already (I think) that I agree would help, would be to have a advertisement type thread where people running vendors could post their locations and what quantities they sell in. Prices might be harder to list - I suspect they change often enough. (maybe this already exists?) This would benefit many newer players I suspect (if they use the forums :lol: ). I know I have tried to ask multiple times in IRC where some decent reg vendors are and only once have a got a reply (which is one of the places I buy mine now).

So there is my 2 gold pieces...

Asha [C^V]
Varamyr [C^V]
Marwa [<<< ,EBK, >>>]

IRC:Brandon

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

I think that the fact huge amounts of gold are being dumped on the mages it would essentially boost the economy throughout the cities to the point where NPCs would be buying more player made craftables across the board. Whatever Gold that is not spent by vendors on players goods should be banked and distributed to all vendors in the cities after considering their restock values to double up on the goods they purchase whole sale.

The mages are collecting too much gold and its not being circulated into the economy because there is no way they are going to spend all that money. We need to tax them to hades as their greed is ruining the economy. WE ARE THE 99% :lol:

Stand around and use scavenger agents at reg shops. I used to even heist 999 regs at a time that way. But this could be easily fixed by having to say the name of the vendor to buy.

Selling in less quantities would be useful too as mentioned. Bags with 50 and 100 of each of the regs would do wonders.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

I think it's generally accepted that regs were ALL OVER THE GROUND in T2A. Especially at the "server lines". Why is it virtually impossible on UOSA to gather your own reagents?

Nightchill

Post by Nightchill »

MatronDeWinter wrote:I think it's generally accepted that regs were ALL OVER THE GROUND in T2A. Especially at the "server lines". Why is it virtually impossible on UOSA to gather your own reagents?
Someone said they recently increased the amount of regs on the ground. Do you think it needs to be more?

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Nightchill wrote:
MatronDeWinter wrote:I think it's generally accepted that regs were ALL OVER THE GROUND in T2A. Especially at the "server lines". Why is it virtually impossible on UOSA to gather your own reagents?
Someone said they recently increased the amount of regs on the ground. Do you think it needs to be more?
On the southern coast of moonglow-island, there was a reg on every tile for screens! Server lines in the wilderness had MASSIVE reg spawns.

The Seventh Son

Post by The Seventh Son »

+1 to the original poster.

RickyM

Post by RickyM »

I am sorry.. but mages were hard to start of in UO back in the day... its really not a "starting" char, mages were hard to get started.. most started one then decided to try something else.. mages are meant to be hard to level up they are powerful, most people had a money char that would help there mage skill up..

Vendors in that time where constantly out of regs as well.. this adds to the difficultly of starting a mage.. if you lack money.. make a melee.. or a bard.. they make money easy.. or a thief.. they make money easy as well stealing from the monsters while others are fighting them is always fun.

GleepGlop

Post by GleepGlop »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
Nightchill wrote:
On the southern coast of moonglow-island, there was a reg on every tile for screens! Server lines in the wilderness had MASSIVE reg spawns.
+1 to this, that area of Moonglow had regs scattered everywhere on ATL, like every 4-5 tiles.

Ginaweave

Post by Ginaweave »

I don't understand are there AFK buyers instantly snapping up regs every time the vendor restocks or are there just no regs on the vendors ever at all? Because for the past 3-4 days I've been playing and it seems incredibly rare to find a mage vendor with regs on him. When I do it's usually only ginseng + garlic. I haven't seen mandrake root on a vendor since I started on this server, WTF?

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

LOL, at the very worst, it would take you an hour to find regs. If you have a mage shop book and you've checked them ALL, pick one (I recommend Moonglow north for capacity and ease of access to Papua) and CAMP IT. Sit there and read a newspaper or watch YouTube while you spam Vendor Buy with a buy-agent setup.
If you see someone recall in to attempt to buy, stand on their spot. Bring alts to help and get creative.

At the very worst, it should not take more than one hour to 'find reagents'.
Est Sularus oth Mithas