deficit of reagents

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Inoyton

deficit of reagents

Post by Inoyton »

Hello there,

First of all, I joined this server a week ago and found it awesome, however there is one thing that just makes me mad.

I tried to ask here (http://ask.uosecondage.com/questions/26 ... -are-empty) , but Derrick very argumentatively closed it. It was really wrong place to ask, so, I decided to make a topic since did not find anything related AND fresh.

Here comes the thing: It's almost inpossible to buy reagents in guarded cities. Vendors are just empty. I assume respawn time is somewhere between 30 minutes and 1 hour, but I spent whole day twice trying to buy reagents for recall to get home.

Surely, there are tons of regs on player's vendors, but imagine how hard to get 10+k gold for newbie player. Especially for things which count as RESOURCE.

I assume this deficit is caused by AFK-buying and in my opinion it's not accurate at all. Reagents were never a problem on OSI.

So, I see 2 ways to handle it:

1) prohibit AFK-buying: thus both economy and playability will get healthier and better (since money will go out of game through vendors).
2) make spawn timer a way less: this will lead to uncontrolled boost of afk-buyers activity, but profit will go lower untill there will be no more advantage at all.

These are my 2 cents, please be gentle if there were such topics and some conclusion by stuff before.

narc1ssus
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: deficit of reagents

Post by narc1ssus »

Penelle

Post by Penelle »

I vehemently agree with this post. In fact a lot of the things I see, all razor related, are the things that break the nostalgic immersion of this server. I see dual clienting skillgain spam and guys recalling into shoppes to clear out the vendors and teleport away again everywhere I go. I just see people trying to get an edge and not even play the game. Maybe I was naive back then but that wasn't the spirit I remember this game having.

I think though the only thing this server really needs to change is the reason people play it.

Grifty McGrift

Post by Grifty McGrift »

Couldn't agree more! It is ridiculous when you can't buy 25 of each reg in the cities, but you can find 25k of each one player vendor alone.

I don't know that this can be stopped by the player base. Unless we collectively boycott all player run reg vendors, which we all know isn't going to happen.
"They used to call me Grifty McGrift. I wrote the book on flim-flammin"

Corbin

Post by Corbin »

+1

My opinion is that all AFK macroing was illegal on EA servers, accuracy says it should be as well here.

I've heard the argument that "people just want to skill up and play the game". Well if it was meant to be played like that, why not just add the setskill command and let everyone be GM rather than wasting days being afk skilling up? The game can certainly be played without being GM everything. In fact, most people didn't have 5 7x GMs on EA servers.
Pacific (98-02) - Mystic of FL
Catskills (03-08) - Roo Avery of VIT, T^B
UOSA - Amos Trask/Roo Avery of WTC

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

+1

Though, wouldn't this afk reg buying also fall under the afk resource gathering rule? From the main rules page:
You may not gather things unattended. This includes Mining, Lumberjacking, lockpicking in dungeons, cotton picking/sheep shearing, and fishing. You may also not sell items to vendors AFK for profit.
Seems pretty cut and dry to me, no afk gathering of anything, period. In this case, it's more a question of enforcement and while we have a reduced playerbase we also suffer from a reduced GM base as well. This in turn reduces the policing capabilities. Suppose our best bet is more users reporting the incidents when they occur.

Of course, that rule is up to the interpretation of the GMs. They may not see this as afk gathering at all. If that's true, then yes, we should work towards adjusting the rules to include things like this (I think rare's gathering tends to be an issue as well but less critical to gameplay than regs).
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

chainsoar

Post by chainsoar »

So...you're all going to go ahead and +1 this all the way because you're displeased about the availability of regs, despite the fact that the second part of his suggestion was to fly in the face of era accuracy by throwing away the current vendor restock timers?
Braden wrote:I was getting ready to type a serious reply to this post until I saw who posted it.
[Uhh] Eo wrote:If there is one thing I am a fan of, it is exploring foreign holes.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

It was an either/or post, I believe everything I mentioned dealt with the op's option #1 and that would be the only true option as #2 is never going to happen.

I can't speak to the opinions of the rest of the "+1ers", but I in no way want to see the vendor code changed.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

"Sorry, I can't help you with that" is era accurate.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

Inoyton

Post by Inoyton »

chainsoar wrote:So...you're all going to go ahead and +1 this all the way because you're displeased about the availability of regs, despite the fact that the second part of his suggestion was to fly in the face of era accuracy by throwing away the current vendor restock timers?
People do +1 not to enrage timers, but to the issue itself.

Inoyton

Post by Inoyton »

fooka03 wrote:I can't speak to the opinions of the rest of the "+1ers", but I in no way want to see the vendor code changed.
I believe noone ever recollects my #2 if afk-buying will be prohibited and strictly monitored.

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

Even if AFK reagent buying was illegal, people would still recall around buying up all of the reagents. Recall reagent buying every 45-50 minutes is the only way to guarantee that vendors carry a large stock. Making trips every 10-15 minutes is the only way to guarantee beating out the other reagent buyers. You may be asking yourself why 10-15 minutes, this is a time that I derived from not knowing when npc stock was sold out/ more chances means greater opportunity to purchase.

So if you are new and cannot even recall what do you do? As much as I hate to say it, you must buy reagents from players to get a significant stock for skill gain. Find the going rates and make an informed decision. If you are buying reagents for more then .8 gp over npc cost, you are absolutely wrong. I don't dabble in small amounts, nor am I a long term reagent seller, but my costs are significantly less at .6 gp over npc costs.

- Start your character with 50 magery
- Know what to cast
- Make your own reagent buying macros

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

I'd feel much better about someone having to click the button and watch their char recall around rather than click the button and work on another character. It makes things a little more fair to some extent but you are right smithy, ultimately it won't matter in the grand scheme of things. This will always be an issue unless it wasn't profitable.
Cash, The Drunken Smith

Populus

Post by Populus »

You should ask one of the vets to help you out. GuardianKnight loves to give free gold to newbs.
ImageImageImage
[cA]

Inoyton

Post by Inoyton »

Populus wrote:You should ask one of the vets to help you out. GuardianKnight loves to give free gold to newbs.
Well, sounds awesome, but I am not sure he is willing to give me money.. and he won't be able to give it to everyone.