deficit of reagents

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Ginaweave

Re: deficit of reagents

Post by Ginaweave »

Blaise wrote:LOL, at the very worst, it would take you an hour to find regs. If you have a mage shop book and you've checked them ALL, pick one (I recommend Moonglow north for capacity and ease of access to Papua) and CAMP IT. Sit there and read a newspaper or watch YouTube while you spam Vendor Buy with a buy-agent setup.
If you see someone recall in to attempt to buy, stand on their spot. Bring alts to help and get creative.

At the very worst, it should not take more than one hour to 'find reagents'.

You're saying I should create multiple alt characters to block buyers recall spots? Seriously?

Sounds T2A accurate to me.

AFK resource buying would get you insta banned back in T2A on OSI-shards. Why is it allowed here?

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

Ginaweave wrote:AFK resource buying would get you insta banned back in T2A on OSI-shards. Why is it allowed here?
Because OSI policy does not equal UOSA policy. The staff have decided that the net effect of the gold sink that regs is, outweighs the detractions of AFK buying. Simple as that. Arguing against it is barking up a tree that fell down years ago.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

No, I'm saying you COULD do that. Not that you have to. You could really just wait it out, buy it up and get the timer down. If you bought it out this hour, you know it will fill up again in an hour. If someone is jocking your spot...block them. Small tables work also, if I recall correctly.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

corruption42 wrote:
Ginaweave wrote:AFK resource buying would get you insta banned back in T2A on OSI-shards. Why is it allowed here?
Because OSI policy does not equal UOSA policy. The staff have decided that the net effect of the gold sink that regs is, outweighs the detractions of AFK buying. Simple as that. Arguing against it is barking up a tree that fell down years ago.
NO IT MUST BE JUST LIKE OSI.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

RE: recall spot blocking....

I bought cats to block a player named Gucci's spot. It turned out his macro had 3 different recall spots, and he was recalling back so fast that I have a hard time believing that he was running through iterations of a nested if in a razor macro, which would require him to cast recall 3 times from each mage shop before getting to the blank spot. I have to suspect that he is running his script using an illicit program

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I'm not going to spell it out for you, but all of that could be accomplished easily in Razor if you know what you're doing. You could literally have it check every tile in range, if you had the right setup, in a few moments.

Having only a few spots per shop, really isn't a far stretch. Also, Azheman is hella bad. I doubt he could use an illicit program.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Bicchus Dicchus

Post by Bicchus Dicchus »

Just make townkiller characters and kill the afkers.

It's not a difficult idea to grasp.

Jesus Christ

One thing that will always be era-accurate is people whining for staff to solve their problems for them rather than fixing it themselves.

I don't buy regs, because I don't use em.
When I kill an afk reg gatherer, I'll throw the regs into the trash barrel.
Just so that no one can have them.

MUWHHAHAHAH!

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Blaise wrote:I'm not going to spell it out for you, but all of that could be accomplished easily in Razor if you know what you're doing. You could literally have it check every tile in range, if you had the right setup, in a few moments.

Having only a few spots per shop, really isn't a far stretch. Also, Azheman is hella bad. I doubt he could use an illicit program.
Not being a smart ass at all here, this is a legit question.
Can someone show me how the funk to do this? Seriously, I am so bad at Razor its amazing. I cant figure the shit out to save my life. I just learned how to do a restock agent, and I wont even get into other horror stories because its pathetic.
So, if anyone wants to take the time to teach me how to afk reg buy, Im all ears.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Menkaure wrote:
Blaise wrote:I'm not going to spell it out for you, but all of that could be accomplished easily in Razor if you know what you're doing. You could literally have it check every tile in range, if you had the right setup, in a few moments.

Not being a smart ass at all here, this is a legit question.
Can someone show me how the funk to do this? Seriously, I am so bad at Razor its amazing. I cant figure the shit out to save my life. I just learned how to do a restock agent, and I wont even get into other horror stories because its pathetic.
So, if anyone wants to take the time to teach me how to afk reg buy, Im all ears.
Menk,

The "6 Shop Reagent & Supply Buy Macro" section here is a good place to start:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41736

The overall post is about attended inscription macroing/selling but the reagent/supply section can be adapted for AFK reagent buying.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:Our stated goal is to be mechanically accurate to the T2A era.
If this were true, why isn't it possible to dupe gold or teleport into castle courtyards or NPCs opening player home doors or the other dozen or so exploits that existed during this timeframe? Its possible to AFK fish without gathering resources, yet that is still a punishable offense.

I think the more appropriate thing to say is that the goal is to be 'mechanically accurate' when the mechanic is not determined to be an intrusive or detrimental exploit to the server.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Hicha wrote:
If this were true, why isn't it possible to dupe gold or teleport into castle courtyards or NPCs opening player home doors or the other dozen or so exploits that existed during this timeframe? Its possible to AFK fish without gathering resources, yet that is still a punishable offense.

I think the more appropriate thing to say is that the goal is to be 'mechanically accurate' when the mechanic is not determined to be an intrusive or detrimental exploit to the server.
Your comparison of the lack of duping with policing an act where players spend gold is a ludicrous comparison. You cannot point to the mechanics of the game and point to our policies in another area as some sort of defense for your position; they're separate issues.

As for teleporting into castle courtyards, I've explained this before; the demo shows that it was not possible to teleport within 4 tiles of a multiobject, which includes houses and boats. This post-dates the newsgroup post you referenced (which I have also referenced to show the consistency in LoS behavior), which means that it wasn't possible to teleport into castle courtyards during T2A.

Finally, your claim regarding NPCs opening player house doors is an unsubstantiated claim as yet. It would be advisable to at least back up the existence of a bug before pointing a finger at us for not honoring that particular bug.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:
Hicha wrote:

Your comparison of the lack of duping with policing an act where players spend gold is a ludicrous comparison. You cannot point to the mechanics of the game and point to our policies in another area as some sort of defense for your position; they're separate issues.

As for teleporting into castle courtyards, I've explained this before; the demo shows that it was not possible to teleport within 4 tiles of a multiobject, which includes houses and boats. This post-dates the newsgroup post you referenced (which I have also referenced to show the consistency in LoS behavior), which means that it wasn't possible to teleport into castle courtyards during T2A.

Finally, your claim regarding NPCs opening player house doors is an unsubstantiated claim as yet. It would be advisable to at least back up the existence of a bug before pointing a finger at us for not honoring that particular bug.
You missed the point entirely, im not comparing policies with mechanics. Im stating that certain mechanics are specifically not implemented due to shard policy. Duping was possible during this era, why not implement that code to be 'mechanically accurate'? Why pick and choose what goes in and what comes out?

The teleport thing has been mentioned several times, and your Faust answer of 'its in the demo, must be true' ignores all other evidence of the contrary. If it wasnt possible, why the claims of it being true to begin with? As for my NPC claim, i have brought it up previously and Derrick is aware of it, i think it even being on his 'things to do.'
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Hicha wrote:You missed the point entirely, im not comparing policies with mechanics. Im stating that certain mechanics are specifically not implemented due to shard policy. Duping was possible during this era, why not implement that code to be 'mechanically accurate'? Why pick and choose what goes in and what comes out?
You do realize that we have no idea what actually caused duping, correct? Without any code to implement, it's not exactly possible for us to actually replicate it. All that we do know about it is that it has to do with the communication between the server-side sub-servers, which, as a basic design for a shard, is fundamentally different than the way that RunUO servers operate. What you're asking us to do is to replicate something that requires us to essentially re-write the entire emulator structure, all without any knowledge of exactly how that re-write should be done to achieve the end goal. This is technically unfeasible given the simple limitations on time and energy for development, much less the lack of information on what to code.
Hicha wrote:The teleport thing has been mentioned several times, and your Faust answer of 'its in the demo, must be true' ignores all other evidence of the contrary. If it wasnt possible, why the claims of it being true to begin with?
I don't know if you're purposely ignoring me or not, but I'll say this as clearly as possible. The newsgroup post which says that you can teleport into a castle courtyard was posted in January 1998. The demo is a compiled instance of a UO sub-server put together in May 1998. Thus, the teleport code from the demo comes after the newsgroup post, indicating that the ability to teleport into castle courtyards was fixed before that point in time. However, we can do even better than that. We know that the post in January was already a piece of outdated information at the time. This is because of the November 5, 1997 patch notes where we find the following fix:
Teleporting too close to houses and ships is now impossible.
So yes, we have a very clear reason why we shouldn't implement teleporting into castle courtyards: it wasn't possible during the era. Your purposefully obtuse responses regarding "evidence" (a single post 2 months after the fix from a disgruntled player) don't change that fact.
Hicha wrote:As for my NPC claim, i have brought it up previously and Derrick is aware of it, i think it even being on his 'things to do.'
Do you have any proof for what you're claiming? For example, what, exactly, do you mean when an NPC "opens a player home door"? NPCs are already capable of opening doors on UOSA, provided that the NPC has the physical capability to do so, so you're going to have to give us something more concrete than a purposefully vague statement about "not including certain exploits". Not only that, but you'll need to show that it was possible in-era, which is something that I haven't seen you or anyone else post any information about. You can't just throw a claim out there and expect us to take it as a truthful statement without some evidence.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Forgive my ignorance on the teleport issue, i did not see this had been previously disputed before (im out of town posting from a phone, limited connectivity.)

As with NPCs, if a player had an NPC trapped in their home, someone outside the home could attack the NPC and it would path find back to the player, to include opening the players home doors (even front.) Essentially, you are using NPCs trapped inside a home to break into the home. I even want to say this was proven in the demo, yet is currently pending implementation due to determining a process to inform the public as this would have an impact on players who use NPCs to macro in their homes. I spoke directly to derrick about it so im sure he has his reasons for the delay or change of mind regarding it. This isnt even the right forum to be debating it.

Just my opinion, but i do feel the shard focuses way too much on its definition of mechanically accurate and puts aside the reasoning that just because the code allows you to do something, doesnt mean you could do it in era without repercussion.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Hicha wrote:Forgive my ignorance on the teleport issue, i did not see this had been previously disputed before (im out of town posting from a phone, limited connectivity.)

As with NPCs, if a player had an NPC trapped in their home, someone outside the home could attack the NPC and it would path find back to the player, to include opening the players home doors (even front.) Essentially, you are using NPCs trapped inside a home to break into the home. I even want to say this was proven in the demo, yet is currently pending implementation due to determining a process to inform the public as this would have an impact on players who use NPCs to macro in their homes. I spoke directly to derrick about it so im sure he has his reasons for the delay or change of mind regarding it. This isnt even the right forum to be debating it.

Just my opinion, but i do feel the shard focuses way too much on its definition of mechanically accurate and puts aside the reasoning that just because the code allows you to do something, doesnt mean you could do it in era without repercussion.

Tell them the truth man, if they would just bring back server events we promise we would never complain again!
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish