deficit of reagents

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: deficit of reagents

Post by Kaivan »

Hicha wrote:As with NPCs, if a player had an NPC trapped in their home, someone outside the home could attack the NPC and it would path find back to the player, to include opening the players home doors (even front.) Essentially, you are using NPCs trapped inside a home to break into the home. I even want to say this was proven in the demo, yet is currently pending implementation due to determining a process to inform the public as this would have an impact on players who use NPCs to macro in their homes. I spoke directly to derrick about it so im sure he has his reasons for the delay or change of mind regarding it.
Do you have any proof that this was possible? I just checked on the demo, and an NPC that becomes aggressive towards a player does not open the door of a house unless the door is already unlocked.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Bicchus Dicchus

Post by Bicchus Dicchus »

Since the UO Demo is from 1998, whereas the shard is emulating late 1999, the demo itself is Not Era Accurate and hence cannot be used as a true reference material.

Blaise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Blaise »

I believe it has been stated ad nauseum that the demo is a good basis for determining accuracy. If you take data from Demo, apply any and all solid evidence from patch notes beyond that, you can get a pretty good idea of how it was on OSI. The big ifs are all about the hidden patches that were things being changed without public notice.
Est Sularus oth Mithas

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Kaivan wrote:
Hicha wrote:As with NPCs, if a player had an NPC trapped in their home, someone outside the home could attack the NPC and it would path find back to the player, to include opening the players home doors (even front.) Essentially, you are using NPCs trapped inside a home to break into the home. I even want to say this was proven in the demo, yet is currently pending implementation due to determining a process to inform the public as this would have an impact on players who use NPCs to macro in their homes. I spoke directly to derrick about it so im sure he has his reasons for the delay or change of mind regarding it.
Do you have any proof that this was possible? I just checked on the demo, and an NPC that becomes aggressive towards a player does not open the door of a house unless the door is already unlocked.
I know this was possible because I used to do it to enter homes.

I originally had a few threads saved, but I think Derrick was already aware of it. I did a quick search and found this thread:

Bug Dragon
Bug Dragon wrote:The enticement skill does NOT check for a valid line of sight. You can, therefore, entice a monster (lizardman, headless, zombie, etc.) in a house to come outside. This will leave the front door wide open and allow you access to the goodies inside.
Bug Dragon wrote:Keep in mind that I no longer play the game, so I do not have 1st hand information. With that said, my understanding is that it only works with a creature (or NPC) capable of opening the door. Lizardmen, Ratmen, Headless'es and such. You can either entice them to come out OR (and here's the big one) you can attack them using the good old Allnames command and stand in front of the house. They will walk out the front door to get at you.

Now I used to have a house where lots of monsters would spawn. I did not much care for monsters spawn INSIDE my house, so I used to put stuff on the floor (furs and junk from dungeons) to cover all the bare spots. This effectively prevented monsters from spawning in my house. I don't know if it still works. If it does, then it is a defense against the latest house break-in bug.
(for reference: The house break-in bug they are discussing is the ability to mark a rune on a house spot, place the house, then have the ability to recall/gate to said rune and enter the house.)

Regarding the demo, are you actually leveling up a character and purchasing/placing a home in the demo release itself, or using a compiled version of the demo code that was extracted/recovered and you're just using gm commands to do it? I looked over quite a few posts from joinuo regarding the demo code and the code itself seemed like a huge mess you guys had to piece together. If you guys originally had problems just opening doors or placing ships, how can you be certain you've corrected the code properly and didn't accidentally change or affect an attribute?
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter

Hicha
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Hicha »

Blaise wrote:I believe it has been stated ad nauseum that the demo is a good basis for determining accuracy. If you take data from Demo, apply any and all solid evidence from patch notes beyond that, you can get a pretty good idea of how it was on OSI. The big ifs are all about the hidden patches that were things being changed without public notice.
We've had these discussions in the past, and the final shard verdict is that there are no such things as undocumented or "ninja" patches as Faust would say.

They look at the Demo code, then compare it to whats running on OSI right now and if the bug/skill/item/feature being reported still exists or vice-versa, then it means it "never" changed in between that time period. It's a valid argument, and because you cannot prove any of the theories such as "maybe a patch went in that changed it, but another patch changed it back", it's a null argument.

For example, the current 'exploit' where you can target underneath certain types of homes exists both in the Demo and on OSI, therefore it would be logical to assume this 'exploit' has always existed in the UO environment.
"I consider most of you NPC's that inhabit the single player game that I am here to enjoy." - MatronDeWinter