house placement accurate?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: house placement accurate?

Post by fooka03 »

Sexy Smithy wrote:I've seen some houses not place because the tiles on the corners weren't right. It might actually be messed up. Is there a rock under the outside walls?
Corners are flat, no rocks. I checked the entire footprint as I said, it's all level.
Kaivan wrote:The code should be checking for even land surrounding the steps of a house. This was necessary because some houses were placed in locations where it was impossible to actually enter the house due to a dip in the land right in front of the house. This code might be improperly checking for flat land surrounding the entire house. I'll have to see what Derrick says when I get to speak with him next.
If it's checking the tiles around the steps that should be fine, they're all level as well (this brings the total tiles checked to over 60, that's a lot of -where commands). The "only" thing I can see is uneven land on the buffer tiles on one side of the house.

As an aside, it occurs to me that your backlog of stuff to address must be pretty large. Since RunUO is all C# code I could always take on programming tasks to help cut down the backlog.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

fooka,

show me the spot sometime
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

So LS and I just hammered away at the spot in question and couldn't get it to drop. His thoughts were the following:

1) There's something on the server side code that the client can't see blocking the placement.

2) The log/flower sprites are blocking placement (incorrectly)

3) The corners/edges are getting blocked from bordering uneven terrian (incorrectly)

4) The house placement is somehow being flagged as being in GZ (unlikely, but incorrect if true)

I suppose at this point I'm stuck waiting on Derrick to have time to take a look at the code. Unless you want to take a look at the spot again Kaivan.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I've done my own testing as well, and I've confirmed that there is some issue regarding flat land around houses. The flat land check should only include the land under the house, and the land surrounding the steps of the house. Otherwise, the land should be ignored.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Light Shade
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Light Shade »

Kaivan wrote:I've done my own testing as well, and I've confirmed that there is some issue regarding flat land around houses. The flat land check should only include the land under the house, and the land surrounding the steps of the house. Otherwise, the land should be ignored.
:D
[20:08] <@Kaivan> We have a ridable Maahes in Green Acres.
[10:00] <TheBreadman> leeds did a takeover on secondage
[10:00] <@Derrick> hax

Tom: Get bad bro

Guerrilla

Post by Guerrilla »

that last response made me LOL.
Halleluyah
<DemonArkanis> hopefully ill go to hell and not have to listen to your bullshit

AceOfSpades

Post by AceOfSpades »

Eh, in the era we are in there were no "properly placed of modern design" messages - at least to my knowledge; that came much later than 99'. However, I guess this stops people from trolling everyone elses houses by placing them 1 tile from the front steps etc.

I do believe that they should take away the "2 tiles away from trees" rule in house placement. This would essentially unlock a lot of other housing locations and would help the market because as of not 80% of the land on UOSA is filled with castles, keeps and towers that people refresh once a week and never play or even think of selling them.