house placement accurate?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
UsualSuspect

house placement accurate?

Post by UsualSuspect »

It seems like I find all sorts of spots that should work. Are we sure it's up to snuff?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: house placement accurate?

Post by Kaivan »

What problems, specifically, are you having with house placement?
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

iamreallysquall

Post by iamreallysquall »

make sure you have the game window all the way into the top left corner when trying to place a house. This can screw up process if its not and will make the ghost house inaccurate.
<mistercherry> i bet ide beat yer asss in scrabble
<Atraxi> as soon as i find the noobs i stole from
<Jamison> lelouche your taunts will be your downfall

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

UsualSuspect wrote:It seems like I find all sorts of spots that should work. Are we sure it's up to snuff?
I feel that the patch in which housing placement was changed to "make it easier" actually added some whacky things. Placing anywhere remotely near water seems wonky imo. There seems to be an additional check on the tile next to the tile you're placing between yourself and water.
Last edited by a mexican on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

Even when it's in the upper left the placement happens off by a tile for me at least. This has made tight placements very annoying if not impossible at times.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

a mexican wrote:
UsualSuspect wrote:It seems like I find all sorts of spots that should work. Are we sure it's up to snuff?
I feel that the patch in which housing placement was changed to "make it easier" actually added some whacky things. Placing anywhere remotely near water seems wonky imo. There seems to be an additional check on the tile next to the tile you're placing between yourself and water.
If you ever want to see what I'm talking about in game, Kavian, let me know. There's a distinct spot that has always worked (even during T2A) that doesn't work here currently.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Feel free to message me on IRC.

ryno

Post by ryno »

It's kind of a minor annoyance and may just be a specific client issue, but the ethereal house is also off for me, even with game window all the way in top left corner. Houses actually place west a tile and south a tile from where it shows it will place.

a mexican

Post by a mexican »

ryno wrote:It's kind of a minor annoyance and may just be a specific client issue, but the ethereal house is also off for me, even with game window all the way in top left corner. Houses actually place west a tile and south a tile from where it shows it will place.
You just have to move the window as previously mentioned. Additionally this is actually Era accurate from what I remember during T2A, as nobody knew the "move the window" trick or at least very few did.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Make a macro to use deed by type, then target relative locations sweeping the entire area in front of your character. Using this method, you can alleviate the pains associated with the targeting-position not being in synch with the actual placement. Moving the window doesn't always seem to fix this problem for some.

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

are these the current rules?

House Placement Rules:

1) All ground around the -outside- of the foundation must not have anything impassable (rocks, trees, etc).
2) No impassable object or land may come in direct contact with any part of the house.
3) Five tiles from the front and back of the house must be completely clear of all other houses.
4) The foundation must rest flatly on a surface. Any bumps around the foundation are not allowed.
5) The Foundation may not reside over terrain which is viewed as a road.
6) There cannot be any items, creatures, NPC's, players, or corpses within the house area.

Pirul

Post by Pirul »

Basically...but all those including steps...so it's 5 tiles infront of the steps too
<ian> 2 chicks making out are not gay

fooka03
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by fooka03 »

So, I went through and validated a house spot tile by tile by tile, all 52 of them, and it's completely level. There's a 1 tile buffer around the entire outside of the footprint, and no houses for at least 5 tiles front and back (I measured over 6 tiles). This spot is completely empty of any sprites or statics.

Someone want to tell me wtf is going on? I'm guessing that the house placement is checking bordering tiles for level-ness rather than just the foundation tiles. In which case, aren't the placement rules off? I was under the impression that foundation tiles were checked for levelness, and the area around was checked for non-blocking terrain. What appears to be happening is that the surrounding tiles are also checked for level terrain which would be incorrect.

I'm ok if this is the way house placement rules were, but everything I've read is that flat terrain is only checked for the foundation tiles.
[$$$] Syndicate of Successful Salesmen
Cash, The Drunken Smith
GM Miner, Tinker, Smith, Carpenter, Tailor

Sexy Smithy

Post by Sexy Smithy »

fooka03 wrote:So, I went through and validated a house spot tile by tile by tile, all 52 of them, and it's completely level. There's a 1 tile buffer around the entire outside of the footprint, and no houses for at least 5 tiles front and back (I measured over 6 tiles). This spot is completely empty of any sprites or statics.

Someone want to tell me wtf is going on? I'm guessing that the house placement is checking bordering tiles for level-ness rather than just the foundation tiles. In which case, aren't the placement rules off? I was under the impression that foundation tiles were checked for levelness, and the area around was checked for non-blocking terrain. What appears to be happening is that the surrounding tiles are also checked for level terrain which would be incorrect.

I'm ok if this is the way house placement rules were, but everything I've read is that flat terrain is only checked for the foundation tiles.
I've seen some houses not place because the tiles on the corners weren't right. It might actually be messed up. Is there a rock under the outside walls?
Special Projects Minion.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The code should be checking for even land surrounding the steps of a house. This was necessary because some houses were placed in locations where it was impossible to actually enter the house due to a dip in the land right in front of the house. This code might be improperly checking for flat land surrounding the entire house. I'll have to see what Derrick says when I get to speak with him next.