Proposal for new attended macroing only policy.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Imric

Re: Proposal for new attended macroing only policy.

Post by Imric »

deleted cause it wasnt very helpfull for the discussion
Last edited by Imric on Tue May 28, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

it's constructive and fits perfectly with the goal of the server.

quote from home page if you haven't read it.

Since inception, the goal, vision and rationale of even creating this accurate T2A era shard has been very simple but unique:

We aim to replicate the T2A era as best we can and within technical limitations as a whole.
We do not intend to ever change any aspect of normal game play to particularly favor any play style or to protect or further expose any players to the in-game risk that was a large part of this era.
We will especially not pull aspects of other eras into this one, even with an overwhelming demand of players.

We believe that "proper" game play can only be achieved by taking the era as a whole and accept it for what it was. Tampering with the era in hope of achieving balance is not something that we will do, nor do we believe is achievable across all play styles. Diversity of players and play styles is a necessity of a healthy shard. Every type of play depends on another, and this is why UO is absolutely the greatest MMORPG ever crafted.

With that said, we do still continue to strive to become more correct and true to the era. Player feedback and research is a big part of this process. We don't claim to have everything perfect yet, but we do continue to actively work towards that goal.

Razor shouldn't be here, but it is because of technical limitations.

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

UsualSuspect wrote:it's constructive and fits perfectly with the goal of the server.

quote from home page if you haven't read it.

Since inception, the goal, vision and rationale of even creating this accurate T2A era shard has been very simple but unique:

We aim to replicate the T2A era as best we can and within technical limitations as a whole.
We do not intend to ever change any aspect of normal game play to particularly favor any play style or to protect or further expose any players to the in-game risk that was a large part of this era.
We will especially not pull aspects of other eras into this one, even with an overwhelming demand of players.

We believe that "proper" game play can only be achieved by taking the era as a whole and accept it for what it was. Tampering with the era in hope of achieving balance is not something that we will do, nor do we believe is achievable across all play styles. Diversity of players and play styles is a necessity of a healthy shard. Every type of play depends on another, and this is why UO is absolutely the greatest MMORPG ever crafted.

With that said, we do still continue to strive to become more correct and true to the era. Player feedback and research is a big part of this process. We don't claim to have everything perfect yet, but we do continue to actively work towards that goal.

Razor shouldn't be here, but it is because of technical limitations.
The problem is its been addressed by staff, and they've stated that while they WANT to restrict 3rd party apps, at the moment its not feasible to do. Continuing to throw a fit that the technical limitation that you acknowledge exists, doesn't change the fact that it does in fact exist. Restricting access for 3rd party apps is *NOT* a trivial task; and arguing about it like its being ignored by staff does nothing to change that fact. If you know a novel way to configure RunUO to achieve this goal; then yes, thats constructive. However, throwing a fit that its inaccurate and it needs to be removed does nothing to actually advance that goal, other than express your distaste for the current status quo. In other words, no, it is *NOT* constructive.

If you want to be constructive, bring something to the table to solve the problem. Complaining about it over and over does nothing but irritate people.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

I didn't throw a fit, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

I am stating facts in order to get support for change. I don't know how to create a UO server. This was intended to be a shout out for help towards what should be everyone's mutual goal.

UsualSuspect

Post by UsualSuspect »

My form of macroing, in era, was to jam a penny into the keyboard.

corruption42

Post by corruption42 »

UsualSuspect wrote:I didn't throw a fit, you need to check yourself before you wreck yourself.

I am stating facts in order to get support for change. I don't know how to create a UO server. This was intended to be a shout out for help towards what should be everyone's mutual goal.
The specifics of throwing a fit are not at your comment, but the fact that this is now 40 posts into the umpteenth thread about something that has been addressed by staff several times, and their stance is well known. You're not shouting out for help on anything thats unknown, and 'shouting out for help' does nothing to advance the goal. We get it, you don't like it, many others don't either. Staff is aware, the entire board is aware, its not a secret. You're not presenting anything new by acting like its a new issue; if you aren't bringing something legitimate to actually solve the problem you're just spinning wheels.

My point is that backseat cheerleading is easy, but if you aren't acknowledging the technical limitations in what you're requesting are the cause of the problem, then you aren't actually helping anything. You're just making yourself feel better for 'fighting the good fight', when there's no fight to be had.
Valorite: The metal with mettle.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

UsualSuspect wrote:My form of macroing, in era, was to jam a penny into the keyboard.

LOL!!
I thought I was the only one who did that back then!

Also, I approve, take out unattended macroing. Or just take out Razor.
Leave unattended macroing and take out razor and 3rd party apps, and itd be a lot more fun :P
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Andersonius

Post by Andersonius »

I havent read all the comments to this I just decided to post real quick so i imagine ill be repeating what has already been stated.

Macroing was not allowed on OSI however plenty of people still did it, and I was one of them. At the time I wasnt using razor ofcourse but their were other options and means to do so so this is a pointless conversation. Also the staff has already stated that they would not be doing anything of the sort.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Andersonius wrote:I havent read all the comments to this I just decided to post real quick so i imagine ill be repeating what has already been stated.

Macroing was not allowed on OSI however plenty of people still did it, and I was one of them. At the time I wasnt using razor ofcourse but their were other options and means to do so so this is a pointless conversation. Also the staff has already stated that they would not be doing anything of the sort.

Macroing I dont have a problem with. Razor is the problem. Its way to good of a program that pretty much anything is possible.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Francois424
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Francois424 »

Menkaure wrote:
Andersonius wrote:I havent read all the comments to this I just decided to post real quick so i imagine ill be repeating what has already been stated.

Macroing I dont have a problem with. Razor is the problem. Its way to good of a program that pretty much anything is possible.
I agree. Using stuff with UOLOOP in conjuncture with in-game UO-Made macros is fine.
When someone can perform complex actions with Razor to achieve very good result, and dragging your competition into the mud, then it really is *too much*

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Francois424 wrote:
Menkaure wrote:

I agree. Using stuff with UOLOOP in conjuncture with in-game UO-Made macros is fine.
When someone can perform complex actions with Razor to achieve very good result, and dragging your competition into the mud, then it really is *too much*
Just recently Ive switched to the Razor mini heal self hot key, because everyone else uses it and quite frankly its just too fast to be stopped. So to keep up with the times, I use it now too (even though Im having some bugs with it). My point is, before then, I manually hot keyed mini heal and hot keyed target self so I could hit say F9 for heal and F10 for target self. But now Razor makes it too quick, it kills duels a bit too because now instead of being able to get someone redlined then another whack kills them, razor mini heals are so fast they can heal 30 pts before your next whack.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Andersonius

Post by Andersonius »

I would consider tree hacks and whatnot to be more of an issue than razor. We play a game that many of us started playing in the late 90's. After a decade and a half your going to have other programs that make things easier and have more fluid functions and its something that just has to be lived with.

Lets get down to the unsupported 3rd party programs and you got a thread!

Vhyx

Post by Vhyx »

Menkaure wrote:
Just recently Ive switched to the Razor mini heal self hot key, because everyone else uses it and quite frankly its just too fast to be stopped. So to keep up with the times, I use it now too (even though Im having some bugs with it). My point is, before then, I manually hot keyed mini heal and hot keyed target self so I could hit say F9 for heal and F10 for target self. But now Razor makes it too quick, it kills duels a bit too because now instead of being able to get someone redlined then another whack kills them, razor mini heals are so fast they can heal 30 pts before your next whack.

Heh, I was using manual heal/target too, until I read this. I'd seen it in the razor options but never bothered to try it out. Yep, it's fast alright and I see no reason to ever use anything else as long as it's an option.

Hythloth Tower for Sale. Contact Boondock_Saint via PMs because it's his and not mine. Azheman will broker the deal, naked.

azheman
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by azheman »

If you guys spent as much time buying regs as you did whining about this, you wouldn't have a problem buying regs.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

azheman wrote:If you guys spent as much time buying regs as you did whining about this, you wouldn't have a problem buying regs.
I haven't had much of an issue buying regs. But I still feel a razor free uosa would be amazing.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish