Chat

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Rapunzel

Chat

Post by Rapunzel »

I am suggesting that we implement a chat system. I know, it is not 100% accurate to the era, but it would really do no harm and only bring good.

It would allow users to interact rather than looking for someone in a huge world when there are not many players online.

What you think?
-Rapunzel-

Alex21
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Alex21 »

Yeh i think your right, the staff will most likley discuss this for a long time before we do anything though.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

While understanding the desire for an ingame chat system, and without completely ruling out the possibility of adding one, here are a few concerns that I have about them.

It is as mentioned out of era. The only thing this shard has going for it is authenticity, a good server and bandwidth. I don't want to become just other pre:uor shard.
There is an ingame chat system which does work. I may put up an MOTD to alert players to this and suggest they log in to see if there is anyone else there. Although I've meant to keep it open myself and tend to forget about it.
I intend to set up an IRC channel for the server, and I may try to integrate it with the ingame chat system, server announcements and the in game MOTD which will be implemented soon.
Although right now, with a very small player base it would make it much easier to find the other players in game, in the long run I expect our player base to increase dramatically and at that point finding players should be less of a problem, however taking away a feature such as a chat system at that time could really turn off players.
I'm also concerned with in the long run an in game chat system just turning into a spam generating flame spewer which I think would be very detrimental to the UO experience.

One other thought I'm having is that I'd be more open to implementing it if it was turned off for each player by default and they had to opt-in to it
But of course if that was the case, why not just use the built in chat.

Of course I'm very open to taking more player feedback on this.

Thanks.

bigcheez

Post by bigcheez »

I do believe that the in-game chat system works that was originally implemented into OSI many years ago. Unfortunately they have also removed it from the paperdoll and now pretty much no one even knows it exists. You can create a hot key to open it up in your UO macros tab. It might be hard to get people using it...

Open > Chat

edit: Oops, didn't see that Derrick had already mentioned it.