I feel precasting is a tad incorrect, let me explain

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I feel precasting is a tad incorrect, let me explain

Post by Menkaure »

I never like to do this, but I want to see if people remember these things and can help me look for a way to prove it to Kaivan, Derrick and co.
Heres the thing: Back, in OSI days during the era, you could not equip OR pick up/unequip anything while you were casting a spell BEFORE the cursor turned into a target. For example, if I cast Flamestrike, then put on an invis necklace BEFORE the target popped up, the spell would fizzle. Here on this shard you can cast a spell then equip a hally, put on an invis item or whatever. Have you ever seen anyone on OSI days cast recall or greater heal and during the cast they put on an invis item? I never have. But here it happens lot, same thing with the equipping of hallys before the cursor comes up. I am not trying to complain but I am 99% sure this is incorrect, can anyone help me with how to prove this?
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Freight Elevator

Re: I feel precasting is a tad incorrect, let me explain

Post by Freight Elevator »

You're fighting a losing battle if you bring stuff like this up without written proof, code, maybe even a lock of Richard Garriot's hair too.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Freight Elevator wrote:You're fighting a losing battle if you bring stuff like this up without written proof, code, maybe even a lock of Richard Garriot's hair too.
Yea that's why I was kinda hoping someone could tell me what I can look for on the net cause how do I type in what I just explained in a search engine bar lol.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Freight Elevator

Post by Freight Elevator »

Painstakingly search through patch notes until you find out that they already have it right it just sucks a lot harder than you remember 15 years ago when it was new and fresh.
Lambo wrote: And seriously what kinda pvper ever has a character with parry they take out into the field...... really

Faust

Post by Faust »

Good luck on finding the information for this mechanic. This is how it worked in the original OSI code as of mid 1998 and there is absolutely no information to suggest otherwise. The evidence is completely one sided on this mechanic in favor of how its currently coded. There is information suggesting that it worked this way when they reimplemented pre-casting in UOR suggesting that they possibly just turned off the feature that ruined a pre-casted spell when they disabled it in early January 2000. UOR had "shield" casters that could equip a shield during the casting animation and there is definitive information on this mechanic. There is much more evidence that this mechanic is functioning properly here as it did during the t2a era before the removal of pre-casting. Going to flat out tell you that you will more than likely not find the information you are seeking.

Good luck though.

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

yeah the amount of hours i put in trying to find evidence to the contrary of what is currently on UOSA were wasted.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Faust wrote:Good luck on finding the information for this mechanic. This is how it worked in the original OSI code as of mid 1998 and there is absolutely no information to suggest otherwise. The evidence is completely one sided on this mechanic in favor of how its currently coded. There is information suggesting that it worked this way when they reimplemented pre-casting in UOR suggesting that they possibly just turned off the feature that ruined a pre-casted spell when they disabled it in early January 2000. UOR had "shield" casters that could equip a shield during the casting animation and there is definitive information on this mechanic. There is much more evidence that this mechanic is functioning properly here as it did during the t2a era before the removal of pre-casting. Going to flat out tell you that you will more than likely not find the information you are seeking.

Good luck though.
Ill do some reading, not like Ill have anything better to do when the baby is born and in the hospital.
This is one of those things where its going to be insanely hard to find, but, while we are on the subject, anyone ever cast a spell and then equip the weapon and it fizzles BEFORE you hit your target? I know it will fizzle whenever your target is chosen, but a few times ive had it fizzle when Ive equipped during the cast (only once or twice did this happen, but still). Thats one of the reasons why I posted, when that happened, it hit me, thats exactly how it was.
Maybe Im wrong, but I really really remember you couldnt equip until the target came up.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

I have found a few things that would hurt a lot of thiefs in the game, but I don't post them because its bad for the game. Era accurate or not, what is bad for the game is bad for the game.

If I found something on this I would keep my mouth shut as well as it would hurt pvp.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

<--------Hypocrite

On 12 Aug 1999 18:32:03 GMT
"Cast, get cursor, equip weapon, unequip, target, no spell shoots. :)
Simple."

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... MXPvIzMVYJ

What I mean by the subject header is a mage casting an ebolt (or
whatever) spell and getting the target cursor
, equipping his katana or
quarterstaff to pound on his opponent for a bit, and when he gets him
low enough on hit points disarming and targeting the ebolt before the
30 second timer expires.
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

nightshark wrote:yeah the amount of hours i put in trying to find evidence to the contrary of what is currently on UOSA were wasted.

Took me 5 minutes rookie....

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

First, the post that you're linking is talking about the removal of pre-casting on Siege Perilous, and gives an example of how pre-casting would result in a dead cursor. Second, the fact that a player posted a process where you wait until after the cursor shows up to equip does not mean that it was the only way to do it. Without explicit evidence showing that equipping a weapon before the cursor appeared for a spell actually prevented that spell from being cast, we have no reason to change the current implementation.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Kaivan wrote:First, the post that you're linking is talking about the removal of pre-casting on Siege Perilous, and gives an example of how pre-casting would result in a dead cursor. Second, the fact that a player posted a process where you wait until after the cursor shows up to equip does not mean that it was the only way to do it. Without explicit evidence showing that equipping a weapon before the cursor appeared for a spell actually prevented that spell from being cast, we have no reason to change the current implementation.

As stated above, I have only been looking for 5 minutes...more evidence to come ;)

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The point is that it isn't evidence. However, feel free to continue looking. More eyes may reveal information that we haven't seen yet.

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

Kaivan wrote:The point is that it isn't evidence. However, feel free to continue looking. More eyes may reveal information that we haven't seen yet.

It turns into evidence once it is stated the same way be several different people.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

No it doesn't. Argumentum ad populum.