Thieves Stealing From Thieves (Probable bug)

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Thieves Stealing From Thieves (Probable bug)

Post by Elk Eater »

I'm fairly certain this is a bug, but I could be wrong so posting in accuracy forums :)

When a character in the thieves guild steals from another character in the thieves guild, they are not flagged in any way, even if the victim/target of the theft is not perma-grey.

This allows anyone in the thieves guild to steal from anyone else in the thieves guild with impunity.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Thieves Stealing From Thieves (Probable bug)

Post by Menkaure »

Im like 99% sure this is NOT era accurate at all. I remember me and my brother playing thieves and joking around one day and I stole his kryss and got guard whacked. Then again, this may have happened in the year 2000, so Im unsure if a patch occured between then and the time fram UOSA is gunning for.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is indeed a bug. Thieves are privy to the same level of protection as all other innocent players in town. We'll look into this.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Downs

Post by Downs »

And the good thieves rejoiced!

I got gwhacked because of this before. some garbage thief stole some regs outta my bag at WBB, and when i poisoned him, the guards sided with him.
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Elk, do you mean flagged as in the name never shows grey, but you still get permagrey? Or do you mean they don't even would get perma? I've never heard of or experienced that a thief stealing from another thief would go without penalty in some way. But I've never actually made an experiment since I never even thought about it.
Lankgord: Hello. I'm New To The Server. Any Drama Going On Lately?

[20:38] <newYorK>i love how franz is in game robbing me while im reading his comic
[20:38] <newYorK> priceless

kevin-theidocghost
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kevin-theidocghost »

Elk and i tested and it indeed does work that way :D
Timelord wrote:Every single person in the game is out to kill you, loot you and take everything you own at any time.
http://www.twitch.tv/imr4350/

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Jakob wrote:Elk, do you mean flagged as in the name never shows grey, but you still get permagrey? Or do you mean they don't even would get perma? I've never heard of or experienced that a thief stealing from another thief would go without penalty in some way. But I've never actually made an experiment since I never even thought about it.
The three pertinent statuses for thieves are:

1) Innocent: Since the last time the thief has died, he has not stolen from any innocent player.

2) Perma-grey, but not flagged: The character appears blue to everyone, but has stolen from an innocent at some point and has not yet died. This happens if you steal from an innocent player and are not noticed, or you steal, are noticed, but your criminal flag has worn off. You are still freely attackable in this state, and thieves and non-thieves alike can steal from you without penalty.

3) Grey/flagged: The character appears grey to everyone, from having stolen and having been noticed. You are also freely attackable and can be stolen from in this state. After the flag wears off you fall back to the second state, Perma-grey.

The problem here is that thieves who are innocent (state 1) can be stolen from by other thieves with impunity.
Lord Cavewight of GL wrote:I should have never defended you, turns out your exactly how the guild described you.. SCUM.

Jakob

Post by Jakob »

Ah okey, got it! Thanks for a good explanation! ;)

Does this only apply if you succeed with a particular theft? Or can you stand in the middle of 10 people, in town, and fail 5 times but still not get flagged?
Lankgord: Hello. I'm New To The Server. Any Drama Going On Lately?

[20:38] <newYorK>i love how franz is in game robbing me while im reading his comic
[20:38] <newYorK> priceless

Elk Eater
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Elk Eater »

Jakob wrote:Ah okey, got it! Thanks for a good explanation! ;)

Does this only apply if you succeed with a particular theft? Or can you stand in the middle of 10 people, in town, and fail 5 times but still not get flagged?
As long as you are in the thieves guild and so are they, yes. You can steal and fail as much as you'd like.