Black Staff and Chain Coif Properties

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Harrison

Black Staff and Chain Coif Properties

Post by Harrison »

I remember reading in Mikel123's "Tips and Tricks" post that a certain two handed mace weapon allows you to use potions while it is equipped. I have a vague recollection of this being the black staff but I could be wrong.

If this was an era accurate bug why is it not working in uosa?

Also one thing I have never confirmed - do chain coifs protect the neck and head or just head? You can equip a gorget when wearing one but you can also equip ring or plate arms when wearing a chain tunic. If chain coifs only protect the head in this era was there anytime when it was both head and neck?

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Black Staff and Chain Coif Properties

Post by Menkaure »

I played from 97-2002ish and I dont remember a 2h mace weap where you could drink potions in the t2a era. Now in the beginning, there were a lot of 2h weaps you could drink potions with if I remember correctly, but not T2A.
As for the chainmail, theres no "protect certain part of body" except if your trying to protect something from breaking, what you are talking about is your AR number. If you look at your stats, theres a shield with a number beside it, thats your AR. And you can and should wear arms/gloves/gorget with the chainmail chest piece because it will up your ar. Now, you cant double dip though, so for example, if you wear chainmail pants and then put on platemail pants, the armor will only take the platemail, it wont add up the chainmail and platemail together. But, you can wear sleeves, gorgets, and gloves and it will ADD to the chainmails ar. The chainmail coif, can be worn the the gorget (neck piecE) and the ar will be added together. Does this make sense to you? Im not great at explaining things, sorry.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Harrison

Post by Harrison »

OK the attack sequence goes like this:

1) Determine Speed of Attack.
2) Determine % Chance to Hit.
3) Randomly determine base damage, within weapon's damage range.
4a) Determine Tactics Modifier to Damage Dealt to base damage.
4b) Add STR Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
4c) Add Anatomy Bonuses to Damage Dealt to base damage.
5) Double all Spell-damage against non-players.
6) Check for magical defenses. (Reactive Armor, for example).
7) Modify for Chance to Block an Attack with / Damage Absorbed by Shield. (Ignore if Defender is not wearing a shield).
8) Determine Hit Location
9) Modify for Damage Absorbed by Armor
10) Halve all remaining damage.
11) Apply final damage.

When you swing and hit someone you have a 14% chance of hitting their head, arms or legs. You have a 7% chance of hitting the neck or hands and a 44% chance to hit the torso - this is why chest pieces wear out so quickly.

The displayed armor rating is just an overall representation of your armor that doesn't tell you how much damage you can absorb.

My question is whether the chain coif covers two hit locations(head and neck) like the chain tunic(arms and torso).

Harrison

Post by Harrison »

Oops I didn't know a smiley is added when you make print bold. Sorry.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Chainmail coifs do not protect anywhere but the head. Some items such as female plate protect more than one location. The following list gives us some information regarding the pieces of armor that will protect more than one location.

As for black staffs, we have no information to suggest that potions could be used while they were equipped. Some items, such as bows and crossbows would allow you to drink potions while they were equipped. This was during pre-T2A, and was fixed before the T2A era started.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Harrison

Post by Harrison »

OK thanks Kaivan. If you notice, on the link you provided, chain tunics are not under both the "Arms" and "Body" sections. This omission is why I suspected the categorization of the coif might also be inaccurate.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Interestingly enough, chainmail tunics don't actually protect the arms and chest, despite popular rumor.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

The 2 handed macing weapon you are referring to is the Maul. You can Quaff pots while wielding the Maul.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

A maul isn't actually a two handed weapon. It's a 1 handed weapon, which would explain why it's possible to drink potions while it's equipped.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Oh yea, my bad.. I could have sworn you were not able to equip a shield with a Maul in hand. Just tested and yea its one handed.

Wychethyl

Post by Wychethyl »

nice, thanks for that link, Kaivan - I was pretty sure about those female pieces but it's good to have it all listed

crappled

Post by crappled »

Harrison wrote:Oops I didn't know a smiley is added when you make print bold. Sorry.
It was actually the 8 ) that made the "cool guy" face, which interestingly enough works out in your situation being that it was the line that you were using to prove a point. That little bit of irony amused me.