accuracy unable to disturb your own spells

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Wise
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: accuracy unable to disturb your own spells

Post by Wise »

Wise - [Guildmaster, $$$]- Owner of the $$$ Rune Tower & Trusted Merchant

SYNDICATE OF SUCCESSFUL SALESMEN
[$$$]Vendors - [$$$]Runes - [$$$]Events

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

LIke that other guy i remember this change ended alot of subscriptions.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Wernham Hogg

Post by Wernham Hogg »

Is there any newer thread on this subject that i can read up on somewhere?

Im really surprised this was implemented. Was there ever any certain proof that you could arm a weapon during spell-casting-cycle during t2a without getting disrupted?

It seems most vets remember that you could disrupt yourself by arming, yet still its not like that on here.
I remember very clearly how running up to your enemy and make him wrestle you while he was casting was a huge part of t2a-pvp. That would make him reset his hally-timer. Im sure im not the only one remembering that. This wouldnt work if he could equip hally while casting.
Another thing i clearly remembered is how it was annoying to sometimes accidentally equip hally 1/10th of sec before ebolt was finished, thus disrupting it.

I would say this is a major ERA-accurary bug on here and it does effect the pvp-mechanics quite alot.

I notice that the pre-cast removal patch from 2000 has been used in the discussion, but that has nothing to do with this. That just means that if you equip a weapon after your spell-cursor is finally up, that spell will no longer be valid (= removal of precast).
Imo there's no reason to believe the self-disrupting was removed at the same time as pre-casting. Especially not when so many players from that era are certain that you COULD disrupt yourself during t2a-era.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

There are no newer threads on the subject that bring any relevant information to the table, but there is a lengthy thread located here, though it is quite long and is old. A short newer thread talks about the subject briefly.

But to save you some time, here are a few things to consider regarding this subject:

At the time of the demo, which is an instance of live servers from approximately May of 1998, it is possible to equip your weapon during the casting animation without any possibility of disturbing yourself. Between the demo and early 2000, there were zero patch notes or other information which suggest that it was explicitly impossible to equip your weapon during the casting animation. As part of the January 24, 2000 patch notes, pre-casting was changed such that a player cannot equip, drag, or use an item with a spell target cursor up, effectively removing the feature. As part of the UOR patch notes (April 2000), spell casting was changed again, and would cause any weapons to be unequipped and have your spellbook auto equipped at the beginning of your casting process. If the spellbook were ever unequipped for any reason before the spell was targeted, then the spell would be cancelled. This implementation gave rise to the parry mage, which exploited the ability to equip a shield while casting (see post 2 of the thread). Then, in the summer of 2001, changes were made to the pre-casting which produced the UOR style system of pre-casting, which included spell disruption when equipping during the casting animation, and the auto-disarm on target.

At this point, we have no evidence to suggest that pre-casting during T2A worked any differently from the pre-casting found on the demo, and we cannot act until we find information from the era that suggested it acted differently. In that vein, player memory 14 years after the fact does not constitute evidence of a change to mechanics.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

I cannot for the life of me figure out why there are no patch notes to be found on this.
But anyone who played in this era knows that once you casted, if you put a weapon in your hand before the target cursor came up, it fizzeled.
Its 100% true, its just they wont change it because they cant find the literature on it in patch notes.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Wernham Hogg

Post by Wernham Hogg »

Menkaure wrote:I cannot for the life of me figure out why there are no patch notes to be found on this.
But anyone who played in this era knows that once you casted, if you put a weapon in your hand before the target cursor came up, it fizzeled.
Its 100% true, its just they wont change it because they cant find the literature on it in patch notes.
Yep.
I dunno, part of me understands that you need a patchnote or some other proof that it worked like that during t2a.
But on the other hand this was a huge part of the whole t2a pvp-mechanics, so i think its weird that you're basing it all around patch-notes.

I understand 14 years has passed and the memory is a 'bit' vague, but me and many with me are not making up the fact that you'd try to get ur opponent to wrestle you while casting a spell to waste their hally hit.
Everyone who used to pvp during t2a-era knows this.

WishinIwasFishin

Post by WishinIwasFishin »

No evidence, NO CHANGE!!!

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

Wernham Hogg wrote:
Menkaure wrote:I cannot for the life of me figure out why there are no patch notes to be found on this.
Yep.
I dunno, part of me understands that you need a patchnote or some other proof that it worked like that during t2a.
But on the other hand this was a huge part of the whole t2a pvp-mechanics, so i think its weird that you're basing it all around patch-notes.

I understand 14 years has passed and the memory is a 'bit' vague, but me and many with me are not making up the fact that you'd try to get ur opponent to wrestle you while casting a spell to waste their hally hit.

Saddest part is, if they were to change it, it would bring a whole new dynamic. Duels and PVP would change greatly. Youd be surprised how much more interesting duels become this way. It wouldnt be near the harm fest that it is now (though I love dueling now), I loved it back then more.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

WishinIwasFishin

Post by WishinIwasFishin »

Menkaure wrote:
Wernham Hogg wrote:
Yep.

Saddest part is, if they were to change it, it would bring a whole new dynamic. Duels and PVP would change greatly. Youd be surprised how much more interesting duels become this way. It wouldnt be near the harm fest that it is now (though I love dueling now), I loved it back then more.

It would just mean that YOU would die more often...no biggie!

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

WishinIwasFishin wrote:
Menkaure wrote:
Wernham Hogg wrote:
Yep.

It would just mean that YOU would die more often...no biggie!

Muahahaha, we would find out wouldnt we :P
I actually looked up more info on this the other day at work and I found so many people talking about it in old posts etc; but nothing in patch notes.... I dont get it ?
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish