accuracy unable to disturb your own spells

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Finesse

accuracy unable to disturb your own spells

Post by Finesse »

the way i remeber it in t2a you could arm during casting and disturb yourself
firstly i remeber when i pked as a mage b4 i started dueling getting fustrated by arming it to early and disturbing a finishing spell.

second of all late in t2a when i started getting really good i would use it to disturb my spells and get heals up.

i dont think im wrong anyone else feel the same way?

also the auto deffend seems messy but i think i read something is being improved in the system

orionsune
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: accuracy unable to disturb your own spells

Post by orionsune »

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember the spell disruption... but there are alot of resourceful players here, if anyone can confirm or deny it, it would be these guys....

RoadKill
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by RoadKill »

I mentioned this months ago but never dug up "real evidence"

Our guild required our mages to have equip/unequip dagger macros for the ability to cancel casting when necessary
Lake Superior 1997-2002, UOSA 2008-Present
I no longer use this account, if you need to reach me, message my new account, Boomland Jenkins

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

We've put a lot of effort into trying to put a timeframe around this self-disrupt, and the best theory that's been presented is that this came in with the removal of pre-casting in Jan 2000.

Fwerp
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Fwerp »

Using pop pouches on use last has a pretty good interruption %.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I always have remembered self disrupts while casting when equipping a weapon personally too. There are three different versions of this function...

Pre-T2a: You could continue while casting if you equipped a weapon.
T2a: You would disrupt yourself while casting if you equipped a weapon.
UOR(after pre casting was reimplemented): Works the same as it does on here now.

There has been no evidence that I have found to prove this one way or the other. Here is where this shard pretty much bases this function off from I believe.
Combat Damage Changes Aug 20 2001 2:34AM CST
Pre-Casting
"Pre-casting" has been re-enabled as follows:
You cannot equip anything while you are casting.
After you cast a spell, it will "time out" after 30 seconds and can no longer target anything. During those 30 seconds, you can now equip a weapon, attack with it without ruining your stored spell. When you release the spell, you will automatically unwield your weapon.
When precasting was reimplemented they made it to where you could also not equip anything while you're casting. The logic behind this was to use this same feature for the pre-casting on this shard.

The reason that I know this isn't correct is solely based on my memory with no evidence to back it up. UOE 6 had a bug with its equip macro. It was delayed by about a second. So if you were to screw this up you would screw your spell up by equipping too early. If you did it too late you would waste your insta hit, etc... I know that this couldn't be for the early '00 days when pre-casting was removed, because UOE was officially dead by this time. However, like I said there is no evidence to back this claim up that I have been able to find...

Finesse

Post by Finesse »

i know you could disturb yourself with your wep.

and no it wasnt people remebering the start of uor publish 12 the start of uor you were unable to place anything in your hands while casting because you needed to have a spellbook armed to cast.

Red

Post by Red »

The patch note is from 2001.
This insinuates that previous to 2001, you could indeed equip a weapon while casting.

Hemperor
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Hemperor »

removed due to being completely wrong
Last edited by Hemperor on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[22:26] <ian> why am i making 3750 empty kegs
[22:27] <ian> 1125000 for 3750 empty kegs
----------------------------------------
[10:44] <ian> a good cat is a dead cat

Faust

Post by Faust »

Red wrote:The patch note is from 2001.
This insinuates that previous to 2001, you could indeed equip a weapon while casting.
This was a pre-t2a mechanic. Being able to equip a weapon and continue casting was fixed around the t2a era.

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Red wrote:The patch note is from 2001.
That patch reverses the Jan 2000 patch which removed pre-casting.

Faust

Post by Faust »

I have finally found something on this topic after a couple months that has substance to it.

Here is a timeline of events for this particular mechanic.

Pre-T2a - Equipping a weapon would allow you to continue casting.
T2A - Still waiting confirmation...
UOR '00 - Spellbooks were forcefully armed when casting.
UOR '01 - You could not equip anything while casting.

These are known facts so far on this topic...

Here is a patch note in January of '00 for the removal of pre-casting below.
Pre-casting Jan 3 2000 10:07AM CST wrote: The bug involving the ability to “pre-cast” spells and then use or take items will be fixed. After casting a spell, the targeting cursor will disappear if the player does any of the following:
Equips or unequips an item.
Takes an item.
Drags an item from their backpack.
This simply states that a target cursor for a spell will be removed if you drag an item that completely removed pre casting.

Now the most of us has seen the patch note for the re-implementation of pre-casting here below too.
Combat Damage Changes Aug 20 2001 2:34AM CST - http://update.uo.com/design_346.html wrote: Pre-Casting
"Pre-casting" has been re-enabled as follows:
You cannot equip anything while you are casting.
After you cast a spell, it will "time out" after 30 seconds and can no longer target anything. During those 30 seconds, you can now equip a weapon, attack with it without ruining your stored spell. When you release the spell, you will automatically unwield your weapon.
The underlined comment inside of the patch note indicates what would happen if you equip something while you are casting. It doesn't literally tell you what will happen if you try to equip something.

Now here is an article that I discovered over at UOPowerGamers.com earlier below describing this upcoming patch for re-adding pre casting.
Melantus Explains the In Development Changes June 26 - 12:45 PM EDT - http://www.uopowergamers.com/a-june01.shtml wrote: Ok, a bit of a lack of communication here. As I understand it, this change will make it so that when you cast a spell any weapon you are carrying will unequip. Re-equipping during the spell will cancel the spell. However, the spellbook will not go into your hand. The spellbook isn't required to be held to cast the spell, but you do need hands-free to cast. Sorry for any confusion on that part of it.

I went back to talk to the designers about this. As I understand it, when you cast the weapon you are holding will un-equip. The book will not go into your hand automatically, but you do need hands free to cast the spell. Re-equipping during the casting will interrupt the spell. After the spell is over, you can re-equip the weapon.

Melantus
Discuss

Derrick

Post by Derrick »

Based on that timeline: It seems to me, lacking any other evidence or mention in patch notes, that Jan 2000 would have been the logical place for the change to equip disrupting casting, since clearly you would have to do this to prevent a players ability to pre-cast.

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Here is an old discussion on the matter:

http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic. ... uip#p11028

Faust

Post by Faust »

That thread is the reason that I presented the new information in this thread. I rememered reading this comment from Derrick "We believe that it was put back in as it was and although there has been a lot of debate on this, most veterans agree that you could not equip an item during the cast sequence in era." assuming that this was still the case. I wouldn't' have bothered researching something out of era like that if it wasn't the reason behind using it. If we are still basiing it off of the same mechanic that was reinstated, than the information that I provided from UOPowerGamers.com suggests that this mechanic did in fact disrupt the spell casting if you equipped a weapon during the casting sequence.

My problem on this entire discussion is the fact that there isn't a valid approach to the current system. I know there are people that remember how it currently works on UOSA, but there is just as many that don't remember it this way as well. Some known facts is the way it works on the demo. There is no patch note that suggests the change from the pre-t2a function for equipping weapons during the casting sequence to the way it works on UOSA currently.

In all honesty I think we should go with the documented information that we know to be true. At least until the current function can be validated to be accurate. I think the original approach for basing it off of the same system that was reinstated should continue to take place. If this is the case than the uopowergamers comment would have to seriously be considered too.

There is more proof that the proposed system is more accurate if you ask me. At least that is my opinion on the matter.