T2A Spawn

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: T2A Spawn

Post by Kaivan »

Li Meiyang wrote:Not necessarily. You're comparing weapon speeds to spawns. Corraborated player memory may be a more suitable standard for the latter than it is for the former.
I suspect that you probably quoted the wrong response, but yes, player memory regarding the speed of a weapon is just as suitable as player memory for other things; it isn't, and that's the point.
Li Meiyang wrote:Is there a link to the pages mentioned above? I might do some research like you said to see if such information is still there when my time permits and see if I can find something to submit here.
Here are several location that you can look for information:

Archived stratics pages
Archived version of the taming archive
Old version of the Taming Archive put up by the owner of the website for us
Newsgroups
More newsgroups (smaller but still has some content)
The demo (although this isn't relevant to your question)
Patch notes
Li Meiyang wrote:I guess I'm just curious as to how the T2A spawns were originally determined for UOSA. Are there links to those sources? Since I know they're wrong, I'm imaging there had to be some guess work involved. I mean, that's fine, right. Doing the best with you have with what you've got. If there's something more specific though I'd like to see the links if they are readily available. (Don't drive yourself nuts poring over data on my account pls :P )
As far as I'm aware, our spawns were done based off of information found from at least some of the resources above. They were primarily done about 4 years ago, and haven't seen many changes to them since that time. Again, if you feel that the spawns are incorrect, conduct some research and hopefully you'll find sufficient corroborating evidence. We can't make a change based solely on player memory.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

memememe

Post by memememe »

Li Meiyang wrote:No offense taken. I know T2A wasn't teaming with Orcs all over the place like it is now. So if the orginal spawns for UOSA were taken from accurate sources, may we please see some links? No offense, but you know... tangible evidence.

Or lacking that, a more general explanation might suffice :lol: :lol:
You seriously want the GMs to spend even a minute of their time justifying why in some random place in t2a orcs spawn in place of ettins?

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

Ok, is frkn debate club over yet? :roll:

I'm in China so google searches are effectively blocked along with a lot of other sites, often randomly. My work computer has a working VPN... (Ol' Besse i call her) which can run google searches, so I'll try to get somewhere with that when time permits. Direct links would be helpful is all.

And I'm still curious to know more about where the data for the T2A spawn came from on this shard orginally.... if anyone has such specific links handy.

Because if there was guesswork involved then, I really feel that corroborated player testimony is at least a source worthy of some consideration now.

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

Thank you. I'll read through some of these sources in the futre to see if I can get any information on T2A spawns. Of course since they were there originally and onward, and wisps/trolls/ettins are not tameable I'm concerned I might be digging a dry hole. But I'll check it out anyway, thnks :)
Kaivan wrote:
Li Meiyang wrote:Not necessarily. You're comparing weapon speeds to spawns. Corraborated player memory may be a more suitable standard for the latter than it is for the former.
I suspect that you probably quoted the wrong response, but yes, player memory regarding the speed of a weapon is just as suitable as player memory for other things; it isn't, and that's the point.
Li Meiyang wrote:Is there a link to the pages mentioned above? I might do some research like you said to see if such information is still there when my time permits and see if I can find something to submit here.
Here are several location that you can look for information:

Archived stratics pages
Archived version of the taming archive
Old version of the Taming Archive put up by the owner of the website for us
Newsgroups
More newsgroups (smaller but still has some content)
The demo (although this isn't relevant to your question)
Patch notes
Li Meiyang wrote:I guess I'm just curious as to how the T2A spawns were originally determined for UOSA. Are there links to those sources? Since I know they're wrong, I'm imaging there had to be some guess work involved. I mean, that's fine, right. Doing the best with you have with what you've got. If there's something more specific though I'd like to see the links if they are readily available. (Don't drive yourself nuts poring over data on my account pls :P )
As far as I'm aware, our spawns were done based off of information found from at least some of the resources above. They were primarily done about 4 years ago, and haven't seen many changes to them since that time. Again, if you feel that the spawns are incorrect, conduct some research and hopefully you'll find sufficient corroborating evidence. We can't make a change based solely on player memory.

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

memememe wrote:
Li Meiyang wrote:No offense taken. I know T2A wasn't teaming with Orcs all over the place like it is now. So if the orginal spawns for UOSA were taken from accurate sources, may we please see some links? No offense, but you know... tangible evidence.

Or lacking that, a more general explanation might suffice :lol: :lol:
You seriously want the GMs to spend even a minute of their time justifying why in some random place in t2a orcs spawn in place of ettins?

Well they say they want era accuracy, and it's accurate to say that in the era I went to that area to hunt trolls and ettins, not orcs. I could have gone to orc fort anytime to fight orcs, and did occassionally, but I feel like orcs are gross so I would run around that part of T2A killing Trolls and Ettins instead.

You're right, I mentioned a few times it's not a major issue, but then everyone wanted to tell me I need hard physical DNA evidence of mythological creatures existence... and this thread perpetuated itself to this point... and maybe further.

I'll keep playing no matter, cuz I think this shard is great and it's also free... so i'm not gonna complain that much. I still think I made a good argument for consideration of player testimony in certain situations though. Because ignoring it is leading to even greater innacuracy, such as in the case of T2A spawns. Probably from a lack of original sources. I'll do some of the reading I've been linked to.. but yeah I think I already understand the problem here.
Last edited by Li Meiyang on Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Li Meiyang

Post by Li Meiyang »

I'd just like to add that I think the Delucia and Oasis/Titan and other spawns in T2A are very reminiscent of the era. It's only the spawns of the central "crappy" part of the New Lands, that probably few people bothered with, that are in serious error.