Guild Chat

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Guild Chat

Post by Nystal »

I'm sure this has been brought up before.
Why do we have Guild Chat? Is it stuck in the client with nothing that can be done about it?
We all know its grossly NEA, and seeing things like todays "shot of the day" on uosecondage.com makes me sad:

Ghosts with a target macro using guildchat to alert folks to the presence of blues. Completely mechanically inaccurate.

Not raging, and its not me being killed or anything, it just makes me sad! (I generally dont dungeon hunt anyway)
Europa: 1998 - 2002 (NEW, ^I^, Grd)
UOSA: 2009 - Present (OLD (Retired), ^I^ (GM))

Attila

Re: Guild Chat

Post by Attila »

Agreed

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Pretty sure razor doesn't pick up guild chat (so you can't macro "find blue, spam guild", only party chat (but that was removed). I don't think guild chat makes any difference considering it's 2013 and everyone is using some form of voice chat anyway, it's more of a convenience.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

Well the shot above is from 5 days ago (top right has timestamp) so its not party chat and the person saying "player found" says they are a ghost.

I've tested a
"target nearest blue"
if sysmsg ("target set")
then say "\Player Found"
end if
2 minutes ago...and it works for spamming guild chat.

*edit: Even though when you look at Razor it just says "say: player found" as long as it was recorded with the backslash, its sending it to guild.

Yes its a convenience but I understand we're not about convenience, but mechanical accuracy (like cutting one bandage at a time)

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

yes you can set target set as a checker, it's how you can set dexer bots to be idle and attack only when something is close enough. also you can use this to chk spawns- park ghost in white wyrm room (there are two different types of white wyrm bodies) if one spawns it'll target by type and then u use set last target target by type if it says set target say in guild "spawn ww" - used this forever.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Ah I see what you mean. G-chat is just being used as an output message from a macro, not a means to communicate with a macro.

Nystal
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Nystal »

MatronDeWinter wrote:Ah I see what you mean. G-chat is just being used as an output message from a macro, not a means to communicate with a macro.
Exactly, which creates an advantage that didn't exist in Era.
The least our lovely reds can do is recall about looking for people...or even just tab into the other client!!! yes its a timesink, but everything lucrative SHOULD be.

Since I made the post I saw in the Era accuracy part of the wiki it states that guildchat was left in as theres no in game messanger system (which nobody used back in the day anyway, well, that I knew... we all used ICQ and in many ways, IRC works for that functionality)

I feel that ghosts sending tells to guild chat upon target acquisition brings to mind the expression: "This is why we can't have nice things".

Can we revisit this at all? Guild chat is such a pet hate of mine

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

bump for era accuracy

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

bump bump!

stop era accurate lazyness for pks keeping all the hunters out of the huntspots!

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

While yes, this type of macro is lame.. You could also do the same thing with a live scout and a communication crystal. Fact is, there are just too many accounts allowed.

liinniejj

Post by liinniejj »

communication crystals are era accurate and at least its a little more trouble for pks to go trough setting this kinda thing up etc

Made by Nystal Games, New up and coming indie Developer.

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

For reference:
Derrick wrote:Parties have been removed completely as they are absolutely not consistent with the T2A era. There was much consideration and discussion given to removing Guild Chat as well, but it has been decided that it will not be removed.

There are a few factors that played into our decision on guild chat, its convenience was not the deciding factor. We were able to modify guild chat so that it cannot be used to trigger the SysMsg condition in Razor. It is my view that guild chat is essentially a interface feature, and it does not now enable a player any ability which cannot be obtained through an allowed 3rd party application such as UO AutoMap. It also provides a partial substitute for the "UO Messenger" client feature which was available during our target time frame, but we are not able to provide due to it's removal from the UO Client itself.
http://forum.uosecondage.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19860
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Attila

Post by Attila »

Ok, now I'm confused...

according to Nystal per the followimg, guild chat is triggering sysmessage:

I've tested a
"target nearest blue"
if sysmsg ("target set")
then say "\Player Found"
end if
2 minutes ago...and it works for spamming guild chat.

*edit: Even though when you look at Razor it just says "say: player found" as long as it was recorded with the backslash, its sending it to guild.

Yet per Derricks post this shouldn't be happening:

There are a few factors that played into our decision on guild chat, its convenience was not the deciding factor. We were able to modify guild chat so that it cannot be used to trigger the SysMsg condition in Razor. It is my view that guild chat is essentially a interface feature, and it does not now enable a player any ability which cannot be obtained through an allowed 3rd party application such as UO AutoMap. It also provides a partial substitute for the "UO Messenger" client feature which was available during our target time frame, but we are not able to provide due to it's removal from the UO Client itself.

There seems to be a discrepancy somewhere

applejack
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by applejack »

What was changed is that a guild chat message can no longer trigger an action. Where it used to be one could have let's say unmanned archer-bots waiting for a sysmsg in the form of guild chat to fire, that was taken away. What Nystal is reporting is the opposite, having another sysmsg condition trigger a guild chat message. Personally I don't think guild chat is the issue there in that as others said you could have the sysmsg condition trigger anything including a communication crystal message.
[cA] Organizational Information
[cA] Tales of Adventure
Tabius wrote:I am disgusted by cA's attitude in this and you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

applejack wrote:What was changed is that a guild chat message can no longer trigger an action. Where it used to be one could have let's say unmanned archer-bots waiting for a sysmsg in the form of guild chat to fire, that was taken away. What Nystal is reporting is the opposite, having another sysmsg condition trigger a guild chat message. Personally I don't think guild chat is the issue there in that as others said you could have the sysmsg condition trigger anything including a communication crystal message.
Not to mention, I think UOAM has a build in chat system too.