Perma red now with no stat loss!

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
skeletore1

Perma red now with no stat loss!

Post by skeletore1 »

Back when T2A was released they changed the murder system. One of those changes was a way to go perma red where you would not suffer stat loss at death. To do this you had to go to a shrine and say some words (Can't remember them). This would make you a red player forever and you could never go back to blue again.

The point is that we need a system that doesn't punish people who want to play the evil PK!! I like the T2A expansion, but it made UO too care bear and I quit playing at its launch.
I wish this server would leave t2A expansion in but bring the ruleset back to 1998 pre t2A (Basically 6 to 8 months after launch) I liked Uo because it was such a cut throat game and was ultra hardcore in every way. Now it is just care bear this and care bear that.

Housing was better at launch and here is why.... There were no house commands, no lock downs, no I ban thee. Your key was your house and if you died with it you could loose your home. there was also no 100% chance to hide or detect hidden in houses. You could simply camp a house, wait for owner, kill him, and the house was yours until he killed you and took it back. You could also run in peoples homes as they opened door, hide, log out, and then loot it later. You could also gate monsters which was so much fun surprising people in dungeons by flanking them with your portal popping out demons or dragon on them (LOL I miss that so much). There was also no stat loss what so ever or murder counts. Only thing that happened was if you killed others you would become a murderer and would be red. You could also attack someone or steal from them and recall out instantly or hide if you could manage before they killed you. Back then you never left town unless you had friends with you because it was so cut throat. This level of hardcore is the Ultima Online I grew to love and miss so much!

If T2A server admins would bring that style of play back tons of people I know in real life and online would join their server tomorrow. Hell, my guild had 70 players in it back in the day. Most of them want to play UO again but the only thing stopping them is that the ultra hardcore ruleset pre T2A doesn't exist anymore! :(

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Re: Perma red now with no stat loss!

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

The housing system you speak of was before T2As expansion. I enjoyed it too, but it's simply not in the era we're recreating here.

I'd love to see some documentation on this perma red feature you've mentioned. I don't remember that and I know that's not how perma red was activated.

You might be mixing up karma locks with perma red status.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

memememe

Post by memememe »

skeletore1 wrote:Wall of text.
No stat loss would pretty much push away 99% of the new people that join the server, even UO "vets". You'd have bored reds just camping every newb spot for the hell of it. This doesn't make the game exciting in the slightest, it simply makes it annoying and tedious. At the moment you have more than enough reds which recall around the "newb" spots now and then to make the presence of PKs known without overdoing it.

Besides, I just don't understand how you say you think this system is "carebear" and you want "hardcore" when stat is the ULTIMATE "hardcore" mechanic. Even if you only roll with "normal" gear on a deep stat you're still putting 100k+ and quite a few hours of macroing on the line. D/C? Opponent got a sick streak of high dmg hally hits? Archer bots got ya? Well tough luck, hf macroing. That seems pretty hardcore to me.
Unless you mean "I want to PK people who can't fight back without consequence", then you might want to start playing on a WoW PvP server and go with your (whatever the highest lvl is now) char into the lowest open PvP zone. Voila, HARDCOORREEEEEEE.

PS: To be honest, for most "serious" PvPers stat isn't much more than an annoyance. Multiply red chars and the means to macro up a stat loss death in a week.

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Macroing counts is for panzies. If you are PK'ing on a trio of macro-count players, well, then you have no credibility as a PK.

Also, it's already been mentioned, but everything he mentioned was before this timeframe. I really liked that house system too.

Sephora

Post by Sephora »

Nov 23 1999

Saying "I must consider my sins" has been updated to include a message that will let you know if your character is permanently red.
If your character is permanently red, you will receive the message, "You are known throughout the land as a murderous brigand."

http://web.archive.org/web/200003041312 ... gn_32.html

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

There is no contention that the perma-red status exists. In fact, there is a patch note specifically stating that it was placed in the game. Per the March 28,1999 patch notes:
  • Another new counter we term "pingpong" will be added.
    • This counter increases each time you go red.
    • If this counter reaches five, you will be permanently red (meaning, you will be attackable. You will not suffer stat loss unless your murder count is also high).
    • This counter does not decay.
The contention in this thread is that there is no evidence to support the claim that you can make yourself permanently red while avoiding stat-loss simply by saying a few words at a shrine.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

mrbojangles
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by mrbojangles »

A new player not crying about getting pkd, but actually suggesting the server should be more hardcore?!

...Welcome to the shard!
Omar Little(irc) / Mr Bojangles / Bowie / Snake Plisken / Martin Van Buren / Dirty Ore

Visit the The Yew Gate Shop for everything you need.

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

I dont remember ANY time where you could go to a shrine, mutter a few words and become perma red without stat loss.
I DO remember the Dread Lord days where there was NO stat loss at all, and then, after that, was the 8 hour count days pre t2a, and then finally, was what we have here: 8 hours per statloss/40 hours per kill for notoriety/blueness. So Im 100% sure your wrong on the shrine thing, at least in T2A.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

I do seem to recall that you could say some words at the Chaos shrine which would make you red, but I've never heard of this precluding you from stat loss.
<@BoomlandJenkins> I don't favor anyone here, I hate all of you equally as much as the next player :)

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:The housing system you speak of was before T2As expansion. I enjoyed it too, but it's simply not in the era we're recreating here.

I'd love to see some documentation on this perma red feature you've mentioned. I don't remember that and I know that's not how perma red was activated.

You might be mixing up karma locks with perma red status.
Hold up Perma red was put in on this shard aeons ago
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

I specifically remember Derrick putting in a patch for ping-pong perma red status if you go from red to blue 5 times like a year or so ago.

Are you saying its not? Right when it went in I was fancying certain ideas using it because I read it in the patch notes.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

MatronDeWinter wrote:Macroing counts is for panzies. If you are PK'ing on a trio of macro-count players, well, then you have no credibility as a PK.

Also, it's already been mentioned, but everything he mentioned was before this timeframe. I really liked that house system too.

Unless you want to be a thief and then go perma red from ping ponging so you can steal from blues as long as your counts were nulled. This was supposed to have been put in. I am incredibly Peed off if it wasn't. Perma red would be considered elitist rogue. Totally disgusted now.

*(Nevermind I just seen the comment questioning the Perma Red "feature" OP was talking about and had thought it implied no such thing as Perma Red at all here which totally blew me up).

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Here is the Perma Red Patch Notes

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Here is the Perma Red Patch Notes

Added August 4:

Pema red has been implemented. (thread)
Perma-Red was introduced on OSI along with Long Term counts in March 1999 (patch)
The function is the same as on OSI in era, described below:
Another new counter we term "pingpong" will be added.
This counter increases each time you go red.
If this counter reaches five, you will be permanently red (meaning, you will be attackable. You will not suffer stat loss unless your murder count is also high).
This counter does not decay.

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Here is the Perma Red Patch Notes

Post by GuardianKnight »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Added August 4:

Pema red has been implemented. (thread)
Perma-Red was introduced on OSI along with Long Term counts in March 1999 (patch)
The function is the same as on OSI in era, described below:
Another new counter we term "pingpong" will be added.
This counter increases each time you go red.
If this counter reaches five, you will be permanently red (meaning, you will be attackable. You will not suffer stat loss unless your murder count is also high).
This counter does not decay.

That is interesting. If real, surely it will be fixed.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson