Let's talk about house-item usage

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Let's talk about house-item usage

Post by MatronDeWinter »

So, it's no surprise to anyone here I am sure, that people are locking down keys on their porches and using them to get into their homes. This has been a problem for at least 2 years now, and it's known to be not era-accurate.

The problem is not just the usability of house keys (on rings) by only those friended/co-owned to a house, but the usability of every item. In T2A, one could eat locked down foods, and even craft with locked down materials. I would like to question the reasoning behind this known era inaccuracy remaining in the UOSA mechanics.

It would be appreciated if some staff would chime in with their thoughts on this matter. Certainly just "making items usable" overnight would cause some security concerns, but I don't see why this couldn't be accomplished with ample notice. Or (if you must) a confirmation gump of sorts warning of the impending change (a feature that HAS been accomplished in the past).

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Let's talk about house-item usage

Post by Kaivan »

In short, the answer is: I don't know.

I've brought up this concern, among others, in the past - yet nothing has come of it thus far. I don't pretend to know why this hasn't been dealt with, nor do I pretend to know exactly what is going on in Derrick's life. There are likely good reasons why things like this haven't been addressed, and without any more information, I can't say anything more.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Menkaure »

So the key in on the step isn't era accurate? I always thought it was.
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Menkaure wrote:So the key in on the step isn't era accurate? I always thought it was.
Definitely not.

Loathed

Post by Loathed »

i was a person who ate ppls dry hanging herbs and cakes often during my time on OSI

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

Loathed wrote:i was a person who ate ppls dry hanging herbs and cakes often during my time on OSI
I am sure they were delicious!

Let's get some actual era-accuracy here!

son
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!
Location: I put an r in it http://my.uosecondage.com/Status/Player/67484

Post by son »

Wait, I remember eating people's locked down stuff here. I also remember ruining some black dye tubs.
rdash wrote:BLACKFOOT STAY AWAY FROM MY FRIENDS OR MEET A BLADE OF VANQUISH AND ADDITIONAL TACTICS

MatronDeWinter
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by MatronDeWinter »

son wrote:Wait, I remember eating people's locked down stuff here. I also remember ruining some black dye tubs.
Yup!

This trammel-esque rule is highly NEA.

FishinPro

Post by FishinPro »

MatronDeWinter wrote:
son wrote:Wait, I remember eating people's locked down stuff here. I also remember ruining some black dye tubs.
Yup!

This trammel-esque rule is highly NEA.

They already know about it, stop drumming up the subject....Move on with your life...
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=55362
^ What??? Another person got "treasureman'd" by cavewight?
Grats Cave on scamming another friend just for some petty wealth and getting away with it.

Come JOIN the -1 CLUB!

Join the KILL CAVE event!!

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

People would just sit there keys in a secure on their table barrier and lock the door when they want to go through. They should do that anyway with the spare so they don't have to hold the door open like idiots.

I am one of those idiots... :|

of course many people would leave their doors unlocked most of the time then in order to allow people to flood the space in between the table barrier. Makes me want to leave my doors open with a house sitter detecting and targeting nearest grey, tab/hide to keep out everyone that walks in as I could.
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Bunkamania

Post by Bunkamania »

I don't think you were able to lock down keys or key rings in the house back in 99. They did change that rule sometime later though. Or, it may have been that you couldn't lock stuff down on the stairs outside the house. Either way, there was no one locking keys down at their door. I just started playing yesterday and after my first visit to a player's home I noticed this and knew it wasn't era accurate.

Pac

Post by Pac »

Yeah, definitely Trammel-like and needs to be fixed.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Pac wrote:Yeah, definitely Trammel-like and needs to be fixed.
Seconded!
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

qwebirc41039

Post by qwebirc41039 »

i concur

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

All that has to be done is add another condition to the HouseRegion.cs script in RunUO, the logic is around line 259. If keys or keyring are the LockdownTarget send a localized message that "that cannot be locked down there". Too bad Derrick does not let his GM's code (if they know how to) since he is absent.