Portable Forge

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Portable Forge

Post by Fireball »

Hi,

I just found an old screenshot of the portable Forges and Anvil which I bought on eBay.

I also had another one on my boat which the guy came and placed. He wouldn't tell me how it was done and my email history only seems to go back to 1999.

Anyway, here it is. hopefully this adds some more weight to their existence even if it doesn't explain how it was done.

FB

<@BoomlandJenkins> I don't favor anyone here, I hate all of you equally as much as the next player :)

Menkaure
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Portable Forge

Post by Menkaure »

eBay hehehe

Ohhhh the good ole days
GO SKINS
Catskills 1997-2002ish

archaicsubrosa77
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by archaicsubrosa77 »

Were add on's always trashed if they were axed or the house was deeded?
Derrick wrote:I wish it were possible that a mount could be whacked while you are riding it, but to the best of my knowedge it is not.

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

archaicsubrosa77 wrote:Were add on's always trashed if they were axed or the house was deeded?
Originally they were trashed when axed which was incredibly annoying (like it is here!) and of course expensive when you placed something like a pentagram in the wrong place!

I don't remember when they started getting re-deeded but I would imagine this would be in the update history.

As far as the portable forge went, I was told that if you put it down somewhere you couldn't pick it up again so you then had to axe it to get rid of it. Some people put them out at mining spots which was useful for others.

Someone else on here mentioned the weight of these portable forges. The first one I got was very heavy, like 200 stone but these in the screenshot were just 1 Stone each. (Should be LBs shouldn't it really! Cannot imagine a person carrying a backpack with 400 Stone in it! Someone should have pointed that out to the Devs!)

Not sure about the one I had on my boat as it was always on the boat but it was at the same time as the 200 Stone one. This was extremely useful obviously.

I lost the first portable one somehow. The boat one was lost when I lost my boat after dying on it and not being able to find it again but I had that a long time. The newer, lighter, ones were deleted automatically from a container in my house. I never kept them in the bank as I thought that would likely be the first place that was searched. I believe they just had an algorithm run to just look for the forge ID in a container and delete it. I was never contacted, they just weren't there one day.

FB
<@BoomlandJenkins> I don't favor anyone here, I hate all of you equally as much as the next player :)

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

The forges exist on UOSA.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Soma wrote:The forges exist on UOSA.
Well that's great! I want one!

How are they created?

FB

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While it is possible that these forges do exist on UOSA, I have never seen one in a player's possession. If they do exist, they were created extremely early in the server's history, and the circumstances of their creation are likely lost to time.

Regarding real portable forges, very small numbers of them did exist on some OSI servers. However, the exact mechanics for how these portable forges were created are not known. Numerous hypotheses exist regarding the creation of forges on OSI servers, ranging from leftover forges from smithy houses that decayed during the earliest days on OSI servers to bugged carpentry addons that were available for only a short period of time after their implementation. None the less, without any concrete information about how they were created, and information to show that it was possible to create them during our target date, we can't possibly add them in.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

GuardianKnight
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by GuardianKnight »

Kaivan wrote:While it is possible that these forges do exist on UOSA, I have never seen one in a player's possession. If they do exist, they were created extremely early in the server's history, and the circumstances of their creation are likely lost to time.

Regarding real portable forges, very small numbers of them did exist on some OSI servers. However, the exact mechanics for how these portable forges were created are not known. Numerous hypotheses exist regarding the creation of forges on OSI servers, ranging from leftover forges from smithy houses that decayed during the earliest days on OSI servers to bugged carpentry addons that were available for only a short period of time after their implementation. None the less, without any concrete information about how they were created, and information to show that it was possible to create them during our target date, we can't possibly add them in.

OSI deleted portable forges on sight. From memory, someone tried to sell me one on Napa Valley, and my first thought was to contact a GM to make sure it was safe. They told me to report any portable forges because they were created using a 3rd party program that hacked the server. The owners of these items could be banned. They later did the same kind of banning with sigil purple hued items after they insterted factions.

At one point, there was also a 3rd party program that removed the occlo fireplace and allowed people to grab jars from behind it. There is a good chance that this is the same program.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems weird and scary to me, and it'll happen to you, too." Grandpa Simpson

Akanigit
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Akanigit »

The program was uoextreme. Also a fun note on that Occolo fireplace, it would highlight when the cursor was over it. There was a fun glitch to where you could click and drag the fireplace over and over until finally your client glitched and you could see behind it. They fixed that and so people used UOX to remove the fireplace.

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Do you know how it worked Akanigit?

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Fireball wrote:Do you know how it worked Akanigit?
In some of the older clients, parts of the map were not completed, so OSI basically added "locked down" items to fill in the remaining spaces. My guess is at the time, they couldn't make it appear static (non-highlight-able, non-dragable), but found a fix for it later by updating map files or by changing the item's property.

I remember this as Akanigit stated it, I am not sure when it was fixed though.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.