Buffs/Debuffs

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Buffs/Debuffs

Post by nightshark »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:I remember +-11 as well, and keeping my magery at 99.9 on my parry warrior purely for the debuff advantage.
The 99.9 magery vs GM is something that doesn't weigh up with the demo, but I remember that being a thing as well. There must have been an undocumented change to the buff/debuff system at some point ;/

There's mention of it in this 2002 usenet post, which yes, is well past the target date. But I'm pretty sure there's also no documented changes to buffs/debuffs between this era and 2002.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... UU9q3BC9kJ
You can't be debuffed if you are already minus. So, for example, if
you are at say 40 dex base and get debuffed by a gm mage, this knocks
11 off you. because you are not gm, when you buff yourself agility to
counter the debuff you only add 10 which means that you cant be
debuffed again as you are -1 already.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

The issue is that there are a lot of undocumented changes at the start of UOR. One such example is that buff and debuff effects could be stacked after UOR, but no correlating patch note exists to document it. Another is that stat debuff spells that were cast on a target that already had the debuff didn't just give you a fizzle animation, but they played their proper animations. A third is related to wearing magically charged items, which effected their overall strength and effectiveness when multiple pieces. These are all things that became part of the UOR era, but were never documented anywhere within the patch notes, and the most difficult part of it is that these changes are mostly all related to magery. So yes, there certainly isn't any patch note to document a change, but the available information tends to suggest that changes were indeed made.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Blade Spirit

Post by Blade Spirit »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
nightshark wrote:
Kaivan wrote:
nightshark wrote:PS: Why does UOSA have a -10 stat debuff at GM magery? I always assumed this was due to research on the demo, but even the demo has +11/-11 at GM magery.
The +10/-10 information comes from the stratics archive regarding resisting spells that was put together in late January, 1999.
Is this planned to keep in? I'm sure I've read on the forums that it is inaccurate (as well as backed up by era screenshots).

The demo has it at +-11, from my time on OSI, I never knew it to be anything but +-11, in fact UOSA was the first time I ever saw it anything but. From the crap ton of times I've read through the patch notes I've never seen a mention of this being changed before AOS. I would think in this case, Stratics had it wrong.
I remember +-11 as well, and keeping my magery at 99.9 on my parry warrior purely for the debuff advantage.
Exactly how I remember it! :D