Anyone remember the 1 house per week rule?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Apocalypse

Anyone remember the 1 house per week rule?

Post by Apocalypse »

I recall, back in the day, I was once at an IDOC two story north of Vesper. After it fell, I placed a small house to secure the spot. I then wanted to replace the small with a large brick a day or two later. Upon taking down the small to put up the large brick, I got a message along the lines of "you cannot place another house within a week of placing one". I then couldn't even place the small back. I had to have a friend come and place the large brick for me. I did a little research on this and didn't find anything except a reference on a current stratics page saying "Note that when you place a house, the 7-day rule applies, and you cannot place or acquire another house for a week". Obviously, this doesn't prove that it existed in our era, but confirms my recollection of this rule existing. I played from 97 to 2001 and I'm fairly certain I obtained my large brick before our cutoff date, but can't recall 100%.

Does anyone else remember this? Is this something that should be added here (if it was actually in era) or are we considering that to be "population control" from crowded production servers or something?

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Anyone remember the 1 house per week rule?

Post by Kaivan »

While I don't know the exact patch where the delay for placing a house was set at 7 days offhand, I do know that the first mention of any restriction on the time between placing houses is reported in the UOR patch notes as follows:
After placing a house, you will not be able to place another house for 10 days.
This would indicate that prior to UOR, no restrictions on the time between placing houses existed, which is reasonable given the fact that it was possible to place a house on each character at the time.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Yeah I was trying to recall if that was during the "one house per account" era (don't recall when that started either). I'm thinking the one house rule was in place so maybe that helps answer my question.

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse »

Kaivan wrote:This would indicate that prior to UOR, no restrictions on the time between placing houses existed, which is reasonable given the fact that it was possible to place a house on each character at the time.
Just to play devil's advocate, this also could simply imply that there was a different restriction, as in my recollection that it was 7 days, and that it was changed to 10 days at that time. But you're probably right, as usual. :)

Grimoric

Post by Grimoric »

Apocalypse wrote:Yeah I was trying to recall if that was during the "one house per account" era (don't recall when that started either). I'm thinking the one house rule was in place so maybe that helps answer my question.
It was added later to stop people from juggling houses after they introduced the one house one account rules.
At a early state people transfered the house between accounts to get around (condemned rules for housing) the house limit, so OSI added the time-limit rules.

/Grim

Fireball
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Fireball »

Grimoric wrote:
Apocalypse wrote:Yeah I was trying to recall if that was during the "one house per account" era (don't recall when that started either). I'm thinking the one house rule was in place so maybe that helps answer my question.
It was added later to stop people from juggling houses after they introduced the one house one account rules.
At a early state people transfered the house between accounts to get around (condemned rules for housing) the house limit, so OSI added the time-limit rules.
/Grim
Oddly, perhaps, I remembered it as 11 days! But I'm certain it was not in this era. I was playing on SP at the time and as we built our village we were moving houses about regularly. It would have been impossible if the delay rule had been in at that time. Sure the ruleset on SP was different, but I am certain the house placement rules were the same at least until the additional house types were brought in which I would guess would have been UO:R