What's the deal with trees!?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Orion GM B^D

What's the deal with trees!?

Post by Orion GM B^D »

I have resently started a lumberjack. In just a short time, it seems only so many trees yield logs.

A tree that doesn't give you the [can't use an axe on that] message, should yield anywhere from 10-50 logs,
depending on skill level. But you hit one tree and clear it, move to next tree 2 steps away and get the [not enough
wood here] message. Its as though the wood veins are connected from tree to tree. Not each tree a seperate wood vein. So
you have to move 3 or more trees away to get a bite.

Is this the way it is? One wood vein spread out over the surrounding trees?
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors
@Trinsic Moongate/Est. 6-2-12

Capitalist

Re: What's the deal with trees!?

Post by Capitalist »

It does seem this way. I think it's a 3 tile radius for wood. ;)
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

This is due to the way in which UO and UOSA handle the creation of resources.

On OSI servers, the amount and type of harvestable resources in a given area was calculated in 8x8 chunks of land. This meant that within one of these 8x8 chunks, the server would keep tabs on the number of objects or types of tiles that produced a certain type of resource, such as lumber. So, if a player decided to begin harvesting wood from a specific tree, that tree would be within an 8x8 chunk with other trees, and the total amount of wood available in that 8x8 chunk would be calculated based on the number of trees in that chunk. As a result, when a player harvested all of the lumber from a single tree, it would report that no wood was available to harvest on nearby trees due to the fact that all of the trees were managed as part of the same chunk.

In short, this is the broad way that the resource system worked on OSI servers, and is working correctly here as a result.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Thank you for the answer Kaivan. I expected that would be the answer.

Trouble is, you don't know where the 8x8 chunks begin or end, as to be able to maximize your time
lumberjacking and not wasting your time moving from tree to tree, getting the no wood message. Like when mining, you know
the next ore vein is most likely the next one to two tiles away along a mountain side or in a cave. You can visualize after hitting the 1st vein where the next the next one will be.

I understand the need for era accuracy, but wouldn't the server be served with it being a 4x4 chunk or even any tree
designed to produce wood? Iron ingots cost 9gp from a npc and market value is 6-8, boards cost 3gp and market value is
2-3, but take 3-4 times as long to collect then ingots. Shouldn't boards cost at npc more, as to reflect the difference in
time to collect and therefore cost more on the market side?

I kinda thought all along that the reason boards were so cheap was it was easy to collect them, but turns out its the
opposite. I'm also surprised there isn't some huge bitch thread on this subject like other important issues regarding
era accuracy.
WiseOne wrote:I don't log on often, but when I do, I shop at Trinny Stone Vendors!
Trinny Stone Vendors

Bixby Legbone

Post by Bixby Legbone »

Orion GM B^D wrote:Thank you for the answer Kaivan. I expected that would be the answer.

Trouble is, you don't know where the 8x8 chunks begin or end, as to be able to maximize your time
lumberjacking and not wasting your time moving from tree to tree, getting the no wood message. Like when mining, you know
the next ore vein is most likely the next one to two tiles away along a mountain side or in a cave. You can visualize after hitting the 1st vein where the next the next one will be.

I understand the need for era accuracy, but wouldn't the server be served with it being a 4x4 chunk or even any tree
designed to produce wood? Iron ingots cost 9gp from a npc and market value is 6-8, boards cost 3gp and market value is
2-3, but take 3-4 times as long to collect then ingots. Shouldn't boards cost at npc more, as to reflect the difference in

I kinda thought all along that the reason boards were so cheap was it was easy to collect them, but turns out its the
opposite. I'm also surprised there isn't some huge bitch thread on this subject like other important issues regarding
era accuracy.
For me, yes farming boards sucks more than farming ingots. I went through so many axes in such a short time chopping boards. On the other hand, I could turn logs into boards within my backpack and greatly reduce my weight. No such thing with ore, I have to be near a forge or else I'm dragging it for several screens.

And boards are boards are boards. Whereas with mining you have several different varieties of ore and ingots which must be treated separately in game. Nothing quite sucks like having to drag 3+ ore types on the ground with you to the nearest forge. This doesn't happen with lumberjacking.
Also, ingots make halberds and katanas. Boards make crates and vesper chairs. One of those groups is worth more than the other.

I think these three reasons, along with what you noticed, may help explain why ingots are valued at a higher price than boards.

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Bixby Legbone wrote:
Orion GM B^D wrote:Thank you for the answer Kaivan. I expected that would be the answer.

era accuracy.
For me, yes farming boards sucks more than farming ingots. I went through so many axes in such a short time chopping boards. On the other hand, I could turn logs into boards within my backpack and greatly reduce my weight. No such thing with ore, I have to be near a forge or else I'm dragging it for several screens.

And boards are boards are boards. Whereas with mining you have several different varieties of ore and ingots which must be treated separately in game. Nothing quite sucks like having to drag 3+ ore types on the ground with you to the nearest forge. This doesn't happen with lumberjacking.
Also, ingots make halberds and katanas. Boards make crates and vesper chairs. One of those groups is worth more than the other.

I think these three reasons, along with what you noticed, may help explain why ingots are valued at a higher price than boards.
I agree moving different piles of ore does suck, but I would use another char to help [gate to forge/gate back to last spot], plus I would mine from [x] point towards a forge. Even though you are able to make logs boards, you are still moving a pile of logs just as much as ore. I don't have an issue with moving the pile, but with mining you are only moving it a tile or two beofre you are mining another spot. With logs, you are moving it many more times before finding a fresh tree.
I would also argue, that colored ingots are really worthless, except for making armor, which isn't in high demand. Never could get why colored, with only one real purpose was valued so high. It would be different if you could still make colored items other then armor.
Iron ingots make hallys and katanas, true, plus a ton more items. Boards are for way more than crates and chairs. Just making
house addons take a huge number of boards to make one item. Much more then any single iron item. Yet costs of these addons
is big, when you factor in the failure rate of making them [even at GM]. Not to mention the amount of boards it takes to GM carpentry. Its right up there with ingots for blacksmithing.

What are the parameters regarding ore with respect to number of tiles with that resourse?

Shouldn't the formula for lumber be the same?
Trinny Stone Vendors

Wonko the Sane

Post by Wonko the Sane »

As long as you move 8 steps, it doesn't matter if you know where the chunk begins or ends. Move 8 steps and you know for sure you have moved from one to the other.

Also, check out this great article on the matter by Raph Koster, AKA Designer Dragon.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/06/04/uo ... em-part-2/

TI_Smithy

Post by TI_Smithy »

UOAM 8x8 grid, all I am sayin

Orion GM B^D

Post by Orion GM B^D »

Thanks for the feed back everyone.
Trinny Stone Vendors