Exchange gold for usuables to deflate the economy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Exchange gold for usuables to deflate the economy

Post by SirEricKain »

I like all but the last one.

Please don't bring in the last one, achievements kill games.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I've been trying to achieve that gif in your sig since I started here and haven't managed to. Will pay gold for lessons.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Happy Gilmore

Post by Happy Gilmore »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:I personally think the best ideas I've heard in the last year are:

4) Gold Sacrifice - a simple "bulletin board" that you can burn gold at to simply be the top player. It sounds crazy, but gamers climb ladders and if you made a board that displayed people's sacrifice of gold, I guarantee you that a handful of people would jump on it for the bragging rights.
A play off this idea....

Put 2 boxes at bank to drop gold in. One is for a server wipe, and the other is to counter the server wipe. Let the voting begin...

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Hah. I like it. Though it would more appropriately be:
Shut down the shard vs Maintain the shard. Wipe would kill this place.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Malaikat wrote:Hah. I like it. Though it would more appropriately be:
Except there's no reason to give players a vote on shutting the shard down. Don't want to play UOSA? There's a very simple solution to that.

And yes, a wipe will never happen here as it doesn't help anyone except people who have yet to discover UOSA.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Happy Gilmore

Post by Happy Gilmore »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Malaikat wrote:Hah. I like it. Though it would more appropriately be:
Except there's no reason to give players a vote on shutting the shard down. Don't want to play UOSA? There's a very simple solution to that.

And yes, a wipe will never happen here as it doesn't help anyone except people who have yet to discover UOSA.

Server wipe would not make the population any worse. Makes people farm again, macro again. Not about not wanting to play here, it about wanting to play against people. This is the best era of this game, no doubt about it. Server wipe would only make people that log in once every 2 weeks to stop doing that.

The simple solution to not wanting to play UOSA is log in just enough to refresh your houses, kill yourself to stay at the top of the bounty board, and to log in just to see what Santa is giving out this year.

Hats off the guy that pays for this server for the last 7 years and to the staff that continues to make it fun here. I will play here either way, but my gold would go in the "wipe box".

Gork

Post by Gork »

Server wipe is the worst idea.

Boomland puts a ton of work into events that people got rewards for participating in.
Then the server gets wiped....
The people lose all faith in the shard.

Malaikat

Post by Malaikat »

Makes people farm again? LOL. Obviously knows nothing about ego or the sufferage of loss over an investment. Most, myself included, would feel violated and robbed of the time invested here. I wouldn't be inspired to fight and claw my way back...and I don't even own shit. I'd be inclined to walk away.
Save yourself the shame and embarrassment and just assume that if you can't understand me...you're the one who's retarded.
Budner wrote:Your sig lets everyone know what an arrogant prick you are.

Happy Gilmore

Post by Happy Gilmore »

Gork wrote:Server wipe is the worst idea.

Boomland puts a ton of work into events that people got rewards for participating in.
Then the server gets wiped....
The people lose all faith in the shard.

I have 30+ bagball trophies plus tons from on going missions from Boomlands events, the reward was the fun during the event.

Shard been around for seven year, no faith would be lost. Its ran by a good team that keeps the era by the book.

Gork when was the last time you logged in? 2 weeks ago...enough said

Malaikat wrote:Makes people farm again? LOL. Obviously knows nothing about ego or the sufferage of loss over an investment. Most, myself included, would feel violated and robbed of the time invested here. I wouldn't be inspired to fight and claw my way back...and I don't even own shit. I'd be inclined to walk away.
The time invested here is gone with or without your pixels. What cant be taking away is the fun you had getting that stuff. Malaikat i am not sure what characters are yours but, sounds like if it was up to the battle of wipe or don't wipe the server, that more gold would be in the wipe box. That would be the whole purpose of the gold sink. Fight (farm) to keep your pixels. Heck maybe I am the only one that feels this way, so you and the other 60 people that currently play can band together to counter my gold.

Obviously this will never happen. It would be interesting to have the GM's do an official poll to see what current players feeling are about this.

DaMorty

Post by DaMorty »

I really like the idea of a temporary special item, like ones that already exists. I think people would be happy to spend a good chunk of change to wear some neon to the bank for a month or to a event. Just have to make sure they are untradable so people aren't getting scammed.

The lottery system also seems like a excellent idea. Having somthing ultra rare as a 1 in a 100,000 chance or whatnot would definately get people spending those dusty coins.

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

Only the most pathetic of players go to events purely for the pixel reward, there is so much more fun to be had killing/griefing/looting other players. And sometimes clearing the event with friends is pretty awesome too.

A server wipe would be fun, right now it seems like the economy is hugely messed up... We've had little to no gold sinks over 7 years (Excluding IDOCS), and at one point the population was over 900 players.

Would it be possible to get word from any staff regarding how much gold is in the economy, and how much in active accounts i.e. logged in last two weeks?
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Soma wrote: Would it be possible to get word from any staff regarding how much gold is in the economy, and how much in active accounts i.e. logged in last two weeks?
That's a question for Anarcho or Derrick. I don't believe Kaivan can see this, and I know I can't.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

I would trade a wipe for triple the players. But, a wipe with the current players is moot. Uosa went from an awesome spring break tourist location to the place gold diggers and old, belly drooped men complain about restaurants together in just 7 years. I won't play other shards for population because their era and manipulative staff alike can suck it. But, uosa needs a new idea. Voters, promotion, something. I understand uo is a dying game in general, but not at the drastic rates expressed on our grids. And to think that was heavily influenced or even halfway influenced by exterior parties and introductions would be lying to yourself, and a detriment to the shard.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

slyyoungstar

Post by slyyoungstar »

Is there any possibility of a second server? I've had my disagreements with Vega and other elites in the past, but if even him, Happy, and Soma are discussing wipe, maybe some opportunity for a clean start is possible. Even if it's RL contributions and if we hit a pre set goal to cover costs, I would def get off my cheap ass and donate. I have a very strong feeling if there were two shards, this current one would just turn into a dueling ground for vets, where the new server would promote population growth and encourage inactive vets to up playing time. Maybe a wipe is something that will never be adopted bc of a strong disagreement from a portion of the population plus staff, but for those who'd love an opportunity for a clean slate (I'd nerdgasm immediately), there's no other opportunities out there for this era coupled with an honest, dedicated, and consistent staff/RL infrastructure.

slyyoungstar

Post by slyyoungstar »

slyyoungstar wrote:Is there any possibility of a second server? I've had my disagreements with Vega and other elites in the past, but if even him, Happy, and Soma are discussing wipe, maybe some opportunity for a clean start is possible. Even if it's RL contributions and if we hit a pre set goal to cover costs, I would def get off my cheap ass and donate. I have a very strong feeling if there were two shards, this current one would just turn into a dueling ground for vets, where the new server would promote population growth and encourage inactive vets to up playing time. Maybe a wipe is something that will never be adopted bc of a strong disagreement from a portion of the population plus staff, but for those who'd love an opportunity for a clean slate (I'd nerdgasm immediately), there's no other opportunities out there for this era coupled with an honest, dedicated, and consistent staff/RL infrastructure.
Also, curious on the population and vets support if that new clean slate was created with the caveat that it would be wiped maybe once every 12 or 24 months. That way we have a consistent original server, and a second that gives us an outlet for those who like fresh starts occasionally and have the countdown timer publicized so nobody starts the last month unaware, etc.