Exchange gold for usuables to deflate the economy

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
woekan

Exchange gold for usuables to deflate the economy

Post by woekan »

Right now gold has lost its meaning. There are to many lazy rich people on the shard. New players can't posibly live up to the wealth that the older players have and thats not very motivating.

If there would be a way to remove gold from the shard in exchange for usuable rares such as special hairdyes, special dye uses, or maybe even simply exchange gold for silver it will decrease the amount of gold on the shard.
And give gold back a propper meaning.

Dungoens will start to be populated by people again. There will be fights over spots at Elder Gazers, Lich Lords and Balrons. PKs will have more to do and guilds need to defend their newer players by protecting them from PKs.

Also unattended recourse gathering such as buying mass reagents should be made banneable.

The only downside i see in this is that there will be an increase in neon haired guys and gals hanging at brit bank.

Any oppinions on this?

woekan

Re: Exchange gold for usuables to deflate the economy

Post by woekan »

And its hard to simulate OSI t2a enviroment since we have much less players. There is simply to much space for to little people.

Things we could do for example is have a dungeon am month. For example January is Deciet month. Creatures in deciet will give double their normal loot or maybe chance for special rewards. This will populate dungeons more. Also i really love the current events dont get me wrong!

Towns are also pretty empty. Maybe there could be a Britannian financial crisis and have banks shut down at certain towns.

I also wouldnt mind a 1 house per account policy. Since we can have three accounts it still leaves 2 accounts to play with housing and trade.

Just spewing ideas.

Downs

Post by Downs »

woekan wrote: Also unattended recourse gathering such as buying mass reagents should be made banneable.

This has been debated to death. The final result was that it's not considered resource gathering, but a gold sink. The AFK player is removing gold from the game to buy the reagents. Other players are paying them for collecting it with gold that was farmed out however they did it.

I don't 100% agree with it, but it's sound logic. They're not collecting free money from vendors. They're spending money that gets deleted out of the game and collecting new money from players.

If i'm not mistaken, Boomland just had some event that was a gold sink. I wasn't active during it, but someone will chime in im sure.
RoadKill wrote: "cA" is a guild of trickery, thieves and explosives so be wary around them.
The New Yew Bank Mall! Don't bother shopping anwhere else!
cA's Database of Adventures!!!

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Downs wrote:
woekan wrote: Also unattended recourse gathering such as buying mass reagents should be made banneable.
If i'm not mistaken, Boomland just had some event that was a gold sink. I wasn't active during it, but someone will chime in im sure.
"Fall Festival" had a "bobbing for apples" barrel that cost 5K to play and you had a chance to receive a silver, special hue/named apples, and a few other goods. It was active for 3 days and burnt just over 10mil gold.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Downs wrote:
"Fall Festival" had a "bobbing for apples" barrel that cost 5K to play and you had a chance to receive a silver, special hue/named apples, and a few other goods. It was active for 3 days and burnt just over 10mil gold.

RESPEK

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

woekan

Post by woekan »

Ahhh i understand the reagent thing now. Sound logical.

The bobble for apple is a good idea!

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

One of the old GM's had special hair dye/beard dye on a vendor for 2mill a pop, there were about 15~ bottles gone in a day.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

I think silver exchange can be a very good gold sink. There just needs to be silver rewards the community actually will covet.
Also, there's nothing your going to do about dedicated players who build up wealth over years of play. No amount of gold sink will change being rewarded for massive amountd of play time.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

orevamp

Post by orevamp »

and unfortunately there will never be another cub event....

woekan

Post by woekan »

inkognito wrote:Also, there's nothing your going to do about dedicated players who build up wealth over years of play. No amount of gold sink will change being rewarded for massive amountd of play time.
Ofcourse. But this will more show in rares and housing than actual GP on the bank.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

While it is an interesting idea to combat the inherent inflation problem found in UO, we do not have any plans to introduce any gold for silver, or gold for item systems. The basic inflation of UO is an inherent "design problem", and like other design decisions that some may feel is a problem during T2A or in general, it's going to remain in effect here on UOSA. We cannot change or circumvent the design of T2A simply because we find it inconvenient.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Soma wrote:One of the old GM's had special hair dye/beard dye on a vendor for 2mill a pop, there were about 15~ bottles gone in a day.

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that again.
There was a vendor who'd roam the map selling "exclusive goods" at one point - is this who you're referring to? We've had some of our own internal conversations about the idea of a vendor who sells "high end goods" and what they could be. The problem with offering neon hair dyes and other "silver rewards" on an NPC like this is that it opens the door for a near "unlimited" supply of such items that should be at least somewhat limited within era. If you charge too little, the items become too common. If you charge to much, the vendor's goal to burn off gold would be ineffective.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

a swallow

Post by a swallow »

with the situation of somebody buying all of the high-end goods, couldn't you make it like the Santa? Meaning they can only buy one per account?
[quote="Teriyl"] So wait, you're mad at swallow for stealing shit out of your castle that you mistakenly left unlocked? He's not my favorite person on the server, but damn Dyne, you can only be mad at yourself for that.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

a swallow wrote:with the situation of somebody buying all of the high-end goods, couldn't you make it like the Santa? Meaning they can only buy one per account?
If we were to spend the time to create an acceptable gold sink, we wouldn't want to limit it to one per account because it wouldn't be effective.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Abyz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Abyz »

Something I would definitely sink gold into:

CBD's

The current rarity/cost of cbds are keeping gf stuff as the only blessed clothing items people are willing to use in pvp/ Pvm. Maybe I am the only one that feels this way, but I would be tempted to bless a cool color clothing item and use it if it didn't cost so much.
hoaxbusterscall.blogspot.com