suggestion

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Lamer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

suggestion

Post by Lamer »

related to world saves... in my oppinion its saving quite too often, i play here for more than one month now and the server nerver crashed... so whatfor? i would say 1 save every 6 hours would be more than enough, back on osi servers when the (game)server crashed a time warp was quite normal as i remember...

Capitalist

Re: suggestion

Post by Capitalist »

I've been here when staff accidentally shut down the server a few times. If you're playing for an hour and doing something mentally and timely taxing it's quite a burden to lose what you put effort into. Imagine if you were farming for 4 hours and it crashed. That's the type of things that would make a player become non-invested.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

Dunder Mifflin Inc

Post by Dunder Mifflin Inc »

I think once every 2 hours would be good

Lamer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lamer »

Capitalist wrote:I've been here when staff accidentally shut down the server a few times. If you're playing for an hour and doing something mentally and timely taxing it's quite a burden to lose what you put effort into. Imagine if you were farming for 4 hours and it crashed. That's the type of things that would make a player become non-invested.
annoying no doubt, but happened on osi too, hours of timewarp could happen, as is said if the game server itself crashed, in the particular case you mentioned, it would be no problem to execute a world save within the shutdown sequence...

only reason for so called time warps would be a real crash, and how often does this happen, ok OR if somebody would kill the runuo process on the server, press the reset button, powerloss and so on. and b4 someone argues that not every shard crash did a timewarp on osi... a large network infrastructure like used in such cases contains many parts that can cause disconnect for all players. osi did save a gameserver once a day, at shutdown. and in 99.99% this is enough. there wont be 100% safety anyway... any non fail over clustered system, with clustering over different locations, can crash, loose data and so on, the last 0,01% safety is really really expesive. and btw i think there is not one single online game out there that saves continuously and by far not realtime, and certainly none thats clustered that way to reach 100% availability.

just my 2 cents, i just want to help improve gaming experience, as i read no staff member plays on the shard so where they should know if nobody tells em whats annoying and the rate of world saves atm is not only useless but feels sometimes just like a pain in the...

have a nice day!

Soma
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Soma »

The problem isn't the frequency, its the duration... 30+ seconds for a world save is painful.

There needs to be a character wipe for any account with <2hrs gametime.
Please choose a more appropriate signature.

Lamer
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Lamer »

personally im against deleteing anything, item trade ins for gimmicks would be much better (like blackdye and so on) because deletion of accounts wouldn change much its the items lying arround in housings, there was a reason osi did the secure chest thing... to limit that... but i dont like this too... back on osi it would have taken hours to save at some point, today its just 30 secs... i dont know which hardware is being used but lets say its only a hdd raid 5 system, 250mb/s trhoughput is pretty much standard for a price-performance ratio based server... u could use ssds and so on but that wont solve the problem forever, beside that it will get expensive and when i look at the nice "server health" image...

so i stick to it, reduction of frequency is at this point the only option remaining, if the staff should take care of that

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

Lamer wrote:personally im against deleteing anything, item trade ins for gimmicks would be much better (like blackdye and so on) because deletion of accounts wouldn change much its the items lying arround in housings

Unused Characters and Accounts make up for a large amount of the items in the system. I believe Anarcho did some testing with this but I can't be 100% certain. Archiving accounts with less than 5 hours of play time and whom haven't logged in for over 2 - 3 years would probably put a decent dent in item count. The shard is 7 years old and there are countless unused accounts that have no development work on them but a slew of newbie characters.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Myrnae
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Myrnae »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:
Lamer wrote:personally im against deleteing anything, item trade ins for gimmicks would be much better (like blackdye and so on) because deletion of accounts wouldn change much its the items lying arround in housings

Unused Characters and Accounts make up for a large amount of the items in the system. I believe Anarcho did some testing with this but I can't be 100% certain. Archiving accounts with less than 5 hours of play time and whom haven't logged in for over 2 - 3 years would probably put a decent dent in item count. The shard is 7 years old and there are countless unused accounts that have no development work on them but a slew of newbie characters.
Probably the householder accounts that never got banned during the real estate bubble.

inkognito
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by inkognito »

Myrnae wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:

Probably the householder accounts that never got banned during the real estate bubble.
It's quite an old server. I doubt placeholders are even a factor if you account for the years of inactives that come and go.

I know of atleast 3 accounts (3 of my oldest friends back from LS) who probably are a part of the problem. Neither have logged in for 5 years but most likely have a bunch characters and pixels filling up the server.
Li Meiyang wrote:Banned for"trashtalking for no reason"
Inkognito was flamebaiting me with all the "no" stuff.WTF is that?
Inkognito●GM Provocation

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

inkognito wrote: It's quite an old server. I doubt placeholders are even a factor if you account for the years of inactives that come and go.

I know of atleast 3 accounts (3 of my oldest friends back from LS) who probably are a part of the problem. Neither have logged in for 5 years but most likely have a bunch characters and pixels filling up the server.
Exactly this.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Faust

Post by Faust »

Update the world serialization/deserialization process based on inactivity. Save all inactive data in a separate secondary binary file from the primary. When an inactive account attempts to log in, retrieve that data from the inactive secondary file and move it back to the primary file erasing it from the secondary. World saves would be cut drastically. :wink: