Newbie Hammer/Tailor Kit/Tinker Set breaking?

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
SirEricKain
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Newbie Hammer/Tailor Kit/Tinker Set breaking?

Post by SirEricKain »

Anyone else remember this not being accurate?

I can't find anything on them breaking in era or not.

Only conducive responses here please.
Sir Eric Kain,
King of Shadowmire

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Newbie Hammer/Tailor Kit/Tinker Set breaking?

Post by Kaivan »

From the demo we can tell that these items did indeed have a limited number of uses, specifically: 51. The usage scripts for various tools have a specific function call to a generic function in another script that checks to determine if a particular variable known as "lifeRemaining" is present on the item. If the item does not have the variable (they aren't created with the variable to begin with), then the variable is added to the object, with a value of 50. If the value is present, it is decremented by 1, and if it reaches 0, the item is destroyed. This particular code runs independently of any newbie code, and adds the value to any of the crafting items when they are used the first time, regardless of their other properties.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Kaivan wrote:From the demo we can tell that these items did indeed have a limited number of uses, specifically: 51. The usage scripts for various tools have a specific function call to a generic function in another script that checks to determine if a particular variable known as "lifeRemaining" is present on the item. If the item does not have the variable (they aren't created with the variable to begin with), then the variable is added to the object, with a value of 50. If the value is present, it is decremented by 1, and if it reaches 0, the item is destroyed. This particular code runs independently of any newbie code, and adds the value to any of the crafting items when they are used the first time, regardless of their other properties.
I can add (only) a pre-T2A anecdote:

My very first character, a miner-smith, had been PKed while mining, relatively early in that character's life (read, August or September, '98), and lost a lot of stuff and a packhorse: I mined more ore and intended to smith some stuff to pay for a new packhorse, and tools; my newbie-smith's-hammer broke right away, and I thought I was completely stuck (the character was flat broke, or at least couldn't afford a new tool), excepting only that another player happened to be right there and gave me a replacement tool. For whatever reason, I had thought that "newbie-stuff" was unbreakable, and I remember feeling quite shocked at this occurrence.

SS
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

In this case we have a clear set of information that tells us exactly how these things worked, so thankfully we don't actually need to dive into newsgroup posts to verify whether this was or wasn't a mechanic.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org