Demo observations - Jewelry/clothing stat buff stacking

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Demo observations - Jewelry/clothing stat buff stacking

Post by nightshark »

I did a search and couldn't really find anything regarding why UOSA does not have stacking of stat buff jewelry.

Let's talk about jewelry on the demo vs jewelry on UOSA. For the sake of testing, I set my magery to 99 on the demo so that my spell casting stat buffs would be +-10 instead of +-11, since UOSA uses these values for spellcasting with GM magery.

Stat Buff Stacking
Firstly, the demo allows stacking of stat buff jewelry and clothing. Adding a piece of stat buff jewelry or clothing applies a +10 stat buff of the relevant stat. Adding another piece of jewelry or clothing to another layer with the same effect gives another +10 stat buff, totalling +20. This can be stacked with as many pieces of jewelry you can find.

This results in a maximum strength and dex level of 180 under the following conditions (assuming I didn't miss any layers that stat buffs appear on):
  • 100 base strength
  • Greater strength potion +20 = 120
  • +10 stat bracelet = 130
  • +10 stat necklace = 140
  • +10 stat chest piece = 150
  • +10 stat hat = 160
  • +10 stat pants = 170
  • +10 stat earrings = 180
Note that in the demo, stat buff potions and stat buff (casted) spells can not be stacked, so the bless spell was ignored in the above

Bless spells vs Bless items
UOSA behaviour:
A bless spell is basically the same thing as a bless item. On UOSA, if I equip a bless item, it will have more or less the same behaviour as casting the bless spell on myself. This means, that as a player, if I curse myself after equipping a bless item, then that spell will be negated by casting curse. Once the item "ticks" again, the bless spell will be reapplied.

This also has the effect that equipping a bless item now means that I can be cursed twice, since my total stat buff is +10 and I can be cursed until I have -10 stats.

Demo Behaviour:
On the demo, a bless item and the bless spell do not interact whatsoever, other than stacking to give +20 total stat buff. Using a bless item is somewhat akin to using a wizard hat - it does not use a spell to apply the effects, and the effect can never be negated by the use of spells (causing the buff to have to reapply itself).
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Demo observations - Jewelry/clothing stat buff stacking

Post by Kaivan »

I don't know if this will come as a surprise or not, but we had intended to do an entire rewrite of the wearable charged item system a few years back in order to transform it into a system that behaved similarly to that of the demo. As it stands right now, UOSA utilizes a modified RunUO default charged item system that basically simulates a "cast" of a spell. The spell cancellation properties such as equal strength effects for strength/weakness, which are UOR styled mechanics embedded as part of the RunUO code, are also still present on UOSA.

Unfortunately, other issues tended to get in the way of that rewrite, and we haven't had the opportunity to sit down and rework the mechanics to make them reflect the behaviors found in the demo. Of course, a reminder of these things is always appreciated, as it does rightly point out what isn't working correctly.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

nightshark
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by nightshark »

Fair enough, I did not know this was on the radar at all.

I have also done some research on NPC vendors regarding their supply and demand system in the demo (which is very simple). There are still a few holes of information that haven't been thoroughly tested, but if you are interested I will post regarding them once I'm confident of how they work.
<green> grats pink and co. .... the 3 of you f---ing scrubs together can blow up a bard. IMPRESSIVE

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I wouldn't expect you to have known, since it was only something that was discussed internally several years back.

We have a lot of knowledge regarding how NPC vendors work within the demo, and a fair bit of it has been implemented on UOSA. The issue is that underlying the surface algorithms for resupply and the refilling algorithms for an NPC purse (and other demand factors) is a much more complicated system tied to an underlying resource system found in the demo core that connects to virtually everything such as chunk spawns for resources on the map, and is only visible when utilizing an assembly analyzer. But if you do have some information, feel free to post what you have, and how you've tested it on the demo, and we'll compare it with what information we have now to see how it lines up.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

This would be great. Having more jewelry worth value in pvp aside from the obvious tele/mr/invis would be very interesting IMO.

Capitalist

Post by Capitalist »

kill drizitz wrote:This would be great. Having more jewelry worth value in pvp aside from the obvious tele/mr/invis would be very interesting IMO.
1) I would instantly regret throwing away possibly even a hundred thousand blessing/protection/str/etc pieces in my day.

2) With the rate of implementation for far more important issues, I think we're safe.
Denis the Menace wrote:Vega for me you are just exploiting the uosa system with your vanq charged spellreflect recall invis pink boobi pvp trammel style which never existed on osi, so stfu.
Jakob wrote:Regardless of douchebag, fair player or Vega.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

I agree. But the amount of blessing/str/protect items are sooo common you can spend a week getting them, in fact you can probably spend 5 mins to pick some chests and have enough for a week. Still think it would be neat.
Correct me if I am wrong, but higher str gives higher dmg possibilities with weps ya? Boosting up as much as possible would be great for dexxers and tanks. If this was the case, I honestly dont remember. But ya, I doubt it would come to pass anytime soon... Improperly placed houses ??

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

This would certainly kill the game.

I don't remember this being possible and I think there would need to be more evidence for this to be implemented.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

This is an interesting topic, I don't think it would ruin the game at all. It would add a ton of variety to field pvp load out's and templates.

I don't remember this in era, but then again I never had 7 years to explore T2A. Definitely a possibility.
Last edited by Roser on Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

These did not stack properly in era. The only way we were able to do this was using a serverline exploit and you'd have to re-do it every time the server reset.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

kill drizitz
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by kill drizitz »

Boomland Jenkins wrote:These did not stack properly in era. The only way we were able to do this was using a serverline exploit and you'd have to re-do it every time the server reset.
So we currently have the correct era accurate setup for this? RunUO's embedded code for UOR has the correct mechanics for a t2a jewelry mechanism? Not critisizing, just asking. Also I know the demo is not the gold standard, but his findings seem pretty interesting to say the least. Also, this would not kill the shard... This shard is bulletproof

Boomland Jenkins
Second Age Staff
Second Age Staff

Post by Boomland Jenkins »

kill drizitz wrote:
Boomland Jenkins wrote:These did not stack properly in era. The only way we were able to do this was using a serverline exploit and you'd have to re-do it every time the server reset.
So we currently have the correct era accurate setup for this? RunUO's embedded code for UOR has the correct mechanics for a t2a jewelry mechanism? Not critisizing, just asking. Also I know the demo is not the gold standard, but his findings seem pretty interesting to say the least. Also, this would not kill the shard... This shard is bulletproof
This is my belief based on what I remember doing "in era" - did it happen at our exact target date? I can't be sure. Did it happen between T2A's release and UOR? Definitely.

I use to exploit the bug for server wars, I had friends banned for exploiting the bug regularly because they'd do it "all day most days" for town fighting. Am I going to spend time looking for proof? Probably not, because I am not even sure we have any solid proof pushing one way or another and my time is better spent managing the day-to-day tasks for UOSA.

I don't think this would kill the shard either, it would cause a certain level of disruption and eventually become the norm along with Invisibility recalls and easy-usage of teleport rings.
Eat. Sleep. Ultima.

Robbbb
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Robbbb »

It would kill the shard. This clothing is easily obtainable and it's hard enough killing someone with 100 str but imagine two mages fighting with 180 str. No one would EVER die.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

As of now, the only evidence of how the system works is the information contained in the demo, where wearing multiple pieces of clothing with the same stat altering effect was cumulative. I've done some research into the subject via the newsgroups, but unfortunately, I haven't found any more relevant information except that until UOR the stat bonus was 10 points, and burned charges very quickly, whereas the stat bonus was 7 during UOR, and each charge seems to have lasted far longer. Others are welcome to do more research to try and find more information, but as of now, we only have the demo to work with.

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

One thing to note in our current system - Every time a charge is consumed on a piece of stat buff clothing it lowers your stat then re-raises it, for example I equip a strength tunic and my strength goes to 110, when the charge is consumed and a new charge is applied my strength will quickly go back to 100, then up to 110 again. Its about one full second.

Does this happen in the demo, or does your stat remain the same until the item is completely out of charges before it returns to normal?