Spell Fizzle

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Malvo

Spell Fizzle

Post by Malvo »

I know you guys told me I can't make requests without proof other than my memory, BUT, since you're way better than me at searching old infos, I tell you another thing that is not accurate, and it's another big one :)
First level spells, weaken, clumsy, feeblemind.
if you cast one of the 3 on a target already under the effect of the spell:
1 your spell it's supposed to fizzle.
2 your spell use reagents.
3 your spell use no mana.
4 even tho the spell fizzled you were able to interrupt casters.
I know that for sure because I used this strategy a lot with my pvp dexer "weaken weaken weaken, hally autohit" that was a strong combo and only 4 mana used :)
I tried to look for proofs but I wasn't able to find any, maybe someone more experienced will go and snoop around.
Thanks for your attention
Have a nice day

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Spell Fizzle

Post by Kaivan »

This is mostly correct, and already implemented here on UOSA. The only correction is that these "fizzled" spells did indeed take mana, and this is corroborated strongly via the demo, which shows identical behavior. Also, these seemingly fizzled spells do have a chance to disrupt your spells, as they are recognized as hits for 0 damage on the target, and will trigger any checks accordingly. This is also in place here on UOSA.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Malvo

Post by Malvo »

I have no idea what "the demo" you're referring to is, but I assure you these fizzled spells took no mana, this was the great thing about that mechanic, as I sayd before I'm unable to find any proof, but I'm 100% sure of it since I used this "trick" more times than I can count.
Isn't something everyone knows and agrees on that when a spell fizzle take reagents but no mana?, the only odd thing about this game mechanic was that the fizzled spell was able to interrupt, you called it a 0 damage hit, that sound quite right, but I dont see how a fizzled spell can take any mana.
sry for my bad english I hope you understand :)

DKS

Post by DKS »

A little before our time, but around the time of the demo, correct?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... sh3hi5FFkJ
NEW!Bug?: Casting a stat altering spell on someone who is already
under the effect of that spell will cause your spell to
fizzle. It will still take down magic reflection, however.
Zan: Magic reflect "fizzles" when you cast it with MR already on also.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searc ... jcYvxKHlYJ
1. If you already have MR on then you will automatically fail MR (but still
lose the mana).

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Malvo wrote:I have no idea what "the demo" you're referring to is,
The demo is a copy of the game released on the original T2A CD that gave you a small quest to do located on Ocllo island. Through some reverse engineering we've been able to look at the contents of the demo itself, and have found that it is essentially a test server from some time from May or June of 1998 (the theory is that it is from June 10th). It includes a sizable number of scripts and functions that are never actually accessed as part of the demo quest, and has allowed us to understand mechanics in great detail as a result. More information about the demo, and the project to turn it into a fully functional server can be found at http://www.uo98.org.
Malvo wrote:but I assure you these fizzled spells took no mana, this was the great thing about that mechanic, as I sayd before I'm unable to find any proof, but I'm 100% sure of it since I used this "trick" more times than I can count.
It's not difficult to miss this, but it most certainly did use mana. I'll briefly explain below.
Malvo wrote:Isn't something everyone knows and agrees on that when a spell fizzle take reagents but no mana?
This is where the confusion probably lies. It is possible for a spell to have more than one animation, depending on the conditions that the spell is cast or targeted in. In this case, there are explicit checks that determine whether a player is under a similar effect when targeted by a spell. If they are under a similar effect, the spell succeeds, but the spell produces a fizzle animation instead of the normal animation, just like if you had fizzled the spell. The only difference is that since the spell was successfully cast, it takes both your mana and reagents.
Malvo wrote:the only odd thing about this game mechanic was that the fizzled spell was able to interrupt, you called it a 0 damage hit, that sound quite right, but I dont see how a fizzled spell can take any mana.
sry for my bad english I hope you understand :)
I certainly understand what you're saying, and what you're saying lines up with how things worked on the demo and during the era with what evidence we have on the subject. The only difference is that we're saying the spell does use the mana and you're not, and your own recollection of a disruption supports our position. Think of it this way: The only way that a spell can "hit" an opponent is if the spell was successfully cast, otherwise, the spell would simply fizzle and give you nothing, which is a hallmark of fizzled spells. If your spell disrupts your opponent, then the spell was successful, otherwise you would have gotten nothing. If the spell was successful, then it absolutely took both the reagents and the mana when cast.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org