Items on ground and in houses

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Items on ground and in houses

Post by Mens Rea »

I've noticed lately that height is not affecting whether you can reach an item or not.

If a bunch of items were stacked up behind a locked down table, then you could reach them if they were above the table. Same for patio fences.

Does anyone else think the current item/height behaviour is a bit whack? I also posted in the bug reports about not being able to take items from a bag that is 2 squares away... What's going on here???

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Items on ground and in houses

Post by Kaivan »

I don't know whether there was a direct restriction on reaching items beyond a specific z axis on OSI servers, and the demo likely doesn't have anything to say about this particular matter, as the demo doesn't have item stacking (although I can test this at some point, but not at the moment). I can say that our own item pickup code doesn't have any restriction on z-axs for reaching an item, provided that the item is within sight.

Our LoS code does take the height of an item into account when determining whether you can see it or not, and I was able to successfully do a brief test with small tables where I was able to drop some items behind the table, but was unable to reach the items until the stack was a total height of 7, which was 1 more than the table itself. For items beyond the height of the table, I was able to see them and interact with them properly. A quick test with a patio house and items stacked on the porch also reveals that the player cannot see the items while standing next to the house. This shows that the LoS code does account for angles and whether the height of the item at a given angle makes it impossible to see an object behind it. Since our LoS code is pulled directly off of the demo, this strongly indicates that the code worked this way during the era.

Regarding your issue with accessing items in a bag from 2 tiles away, I responded to your thread about it in the bugs section, but I'll reiterate it here: I had no problem accessing the contents of a bag sitting 2 tiles away from me sitting on the ground. I'm not sure what your issue is here.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Ill Gates

Post by Ill Gates »

Mens Rea wrote: I also posted in the bug reports about not being able to take items from a bag that is 2 squares away... What's going on here???
Resync your client nerd.

(SaberOwnsVega) i will have better future than u got atm im telling u id be richer for edecational and 10X SMARTER
(SaberOwnsVega) garentee'd

[01:45] == #secondage Cannot join channel (+b) - you are banned

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Look... Resync doesn't work. It doesn't matter what kind of container it is or where it is - keeps doing this to me.

It delays, like it's checking with the server first, and then the message comes up. I don't think it's a client-side message.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

I'm really not sure what the problem is at your location. I dropped by and tested to see if it wasn't possible to see the items and it is indeed not possible to see the items in that pouch, but only if the pouch is on that tile and you're standing on a specific tile.

I did further testing with multiple housing types, and for some very odd reason, the thatched roof cottage has a few tiles where you cannot see items within a container stored on the floor of the house when standing on specific tiles. No other small housing type exhibited the same lack of LoS (no larger housing types were tested), and they all use the same object tiles for the floors, so I'm really not sure what other relevant factor there is for whether you can or can't see items inside of a container. Either way, the solution for now is to get a different house type, or to access the items in the pouch from an unaffected tile.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org