Making potions directly into kegs

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Patek
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Making potions directly into kegs

Post by Patek »

Just thought i'd open the discussion as to whether this was possible at the time the SecondAge server is set for. The T2A wiki says you can place directly into a keg if you have no empty bottles. Exact line is... "Potions can be crafted directly in the keg if there are no bottles in the alchemist's backpack." at http://wiki.uosecondage.com/Potion_Kegs

I've tried making with a keg but no bottle in my bag, it says "You do not have all the required resource to make anything with that".

I've tried making with a keg and a bottle in my bag then dropping the bottle while its grinding, it says "You need an empty bottle to make a potion"

I don't have patch notes, but thought if someone had a quick answer for this it'd be great. Will try making into a keg my alchemist has made themselves once I get some more carpentry. Cheers and thanks.

- Patek

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Re: Making potions directly into kegs

Post by Kaivan »

So far as the patch notes go, it should be possible to grind a potion and place it directly into a keg, although our current code does not seem to allow it.

The relevant patch note from the November 28, 1999 patch notes are as follows:
Potions can be crafted directly in the keg if there are no bottles in the alchemist’s backpack.
  • After you begin to make a potion you will be given a targeting cursor.
  • Clicking on the potion keg will add one potion.
  • The same rules apply to this method as for dragging a potion onto the keg.
It looks as if our code for actually storing a potion directly in the pestle has been disabled (I don't know when), but the patch notes suggest that if you attempt to grind a potion and you don't have a bottle handy, then a targeting cursor will be presented, allowing you to place the potion directly into a keg (that's either near you or in your backpack), or into a bottle sitting on the ground nearby. Combining this with what we know from the demo code, if one were to cancel that targeting cursor, then the potion should be stored in the mortar itself, and when the mortar is used next, it should present you with the same targeting cursor, asking you where you would like to place the potion (provided you don't have a bottle on you at that time).
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org

Mens Rea
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Mens Rea »

Kaivan wrote:So far as the patch notes go, it should be possible to grind a potion and place it directly into a keg, although our current code does not seem to allow it.

The relevant patch note from the November 28, 1999 patch notes are as follows:
Potions can be crafted directly in the keg if there are no bottles in the alchemist’s backpack.
  • After you begin to make a potion you will be given a targeting cursor.
  • Clicking on the potion keg will add one potion.
  • The same rules apply to this method as for dragging a potion onto the keg.
It looks as if our code for actually storing a potion directly in the pestle has been disabled (I don't know when), but the patch notes suggest that if you attempt to grind a potion and you don't have a bottle handy, then a targeting cursor will be presented, allowing you to place the potion directly into a keg (that's either near you or in your backpack), or into a bottle sitting on the ground nearby. Combining this with what we know from the demo code, if one were to cancel that targeting cursor, then the potion should be stored in the mortar itself, and when the mortar is used next, it should present you with the same targeting cursor, asking you where you would like to place the potion (provided you don't have a bottle on you at that time).
Yes

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Post by Roser »

Man this would make things a lot smoother in the alchemy world!

SighelmofWyrmgard

Post by SighelmofWyrmgard »

Kaivan wrote:.... if you attempt to grind a potion and you don't have a bottle handy, then a targeting cursor will be presented, allowing you to place the potion ... into a bottle sitting on the ground nearby. Combining this with what we know from the demo code, if one were to cancel that targeting cursor, then the potion should be stored in the mortar itself, and when the mortar is used next, it should present you with the same targeting cursor, asking you where you would like to place the potion (provided you don't have a bottle on you at that time).
As I have edited the above is exactly how I remember it, from pre-t2A into early t2A, when I was dabbling with Alchemy; one thing I used to do was this,

Any character could grind a Nightsight potion: all of my characters carried a mortar-and-pestle into the dungeon, with the mortar-and-pestle "pre-loaded", and one Nightsight potion (among whatever other potions were carried); whenever the one potion was consumed, the pre-loaded mortar was dumped, and then used on itself again to re-pre-load it.

I had started doing this only after my aspiring Alchemist had run out of bottles while 'multi-mortaring', and I discovered that a mortar could hold 'one charge' of whatever potion had been (successfully) made; I do know that other players did indeed take mortar-and-pestle into dungeon for grinding Nightsight, but I have no idea how widespread that practice was, or if anyone else bothered to 'pre-load'.

I honestly had had no idea that things are (currently) functioning differently, here: my own need for potions is almost non-existent, and my GM Alchemist remains virtually unemployed ...

Thanks for the heads-up, and for triggering a nostalgic recollection.

SS

EDIT: I will add, in the interests of clarification,

So far as I can recall, empty bottles would be automatically filled as long as you had any such in your pack: if you had no empty bottles in your pack, then you would receive the targeting-cursor and a SysMessage (something like, "Where do you wish to put this potion?"); if you [ESC] dismissed the cursor, then the next time you double-clicked the mortar you would get the cursor and SysMessage again; IIRC, targeting anything other than an empty bottle, would irretrievably dump the contents of the mortar.

SS
Last edited by SighelmofWyrmgard on Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SighelmofWyrmgard wrote:
uosa44 wrote:For sale, by original owner:
1 Human Brain, never been used, only slightly damaged, still in original packaging.
$1, obo
FTFY.

SS
uosa44 wrote:The inability for this person to respond in such a crazy manner proves my point.

Kaivan
UOSA Donor!!
UOSA Donor!!

Post by Kaivan »

Rose wrote:Man this would make things a lot smoother in the alchemy world!
Ideally this should make that easier. There's a lot of small changes that need to be made for mortars, and this one needs to take a few extra things into account to work properly, but ideally we can fix all the issues at the same time, and bring potion creation in line with our best information on how it worked during the era.
UOSA Historian and former staff member: August 11, 2008 - June 19, 2016

Useful links for researching T2A Mechanics

Stratics - UO Latest Updates - Newsgroup 1 - Noctalis - UO98.org