Absolutely, without a doubt, need a 3D Client.

For ideas on how to make Second Age a better shard. Can it get any better? Maybe.
Forum rules
Posts in this forum are expected to be constructive, realistic and civil. Inflamatory or off topic posts will be removed.
Maddeh

Absolutely, without a doubt, need a 3D Client.

Post by Maddeh »

I'm new. It won't allow me to post in New Player Help, because the "New Topic" button/text is not there for me. Account is activated. ANYWAYS.

I was thrilled when I found this website, because I am talking to support for Ultima Online through email to get my old account active. I really like the idea of this website, where I don't have to pay a subscription fee and I can play with my friends who have always wanted to try this game. BUT.

The 2D client is not for everyone. It's unappealing, it's small, and tough for new players(apparently). It's preventing me from joining you guys. I simply cannot frickin see the tiny backpack with the tiny items on my monitor, where as the 3D client is more organized and up to date. I noticed back in 2007 that it was getting prepared for the new client, but alas, that was pretty much 9 years ago. What's the deal?

Roser
UOSA Subscriber!
UOSA Subscriber!

Re: Absolutely, without a doubt, need a 3D Client.

Post by Roser »

Most people including myself think the 3d client is terrible. It was something that went over very poorly when it was introduced to production servers as most people opted to use the classic client. The 3d client is something that was also not available in the T2A era, therefore you will not find support for it here. That being said, I have heard of a few people getting it to work.

There are a couple things you can do here to increase the game window size, one would be to use Razor to stretch the game window up to 1999x1999 pixels, however there is a point at which the performance of the game will diminish greatly if you are using the UOSA client. The UOSA client (5.0.8.3) is good for up to about 1100x900 before client lag and "artifacts" set in. Alternatively you can use a slightly newer client and swap the UOSA map files into it for the ability to strech your screen to the maximum.

I am currently running UO on a 1440p monitor with a resolution of 1999x1410 with the client version 7.0.7.1 and it is very smooth.
Looks like this - http://i.imgur.com/sGSnRSJ.png
Yes things are small in comparison to my mouse cursor, but this is how I like to play the game.

Secondly, if you are on Windows, you might try "display scaling" in the display options. You can increase the size of everything in window's and I am pretty sure this also effects the UO game window.

Anyway, good luck with it and Welcome to UOSA.